I am thinking about letting my sister(she's 31 btw) work with me. I now have 10 sites, and the work is getting to be quite a bit, so I think it might be a good idea.

She has no experience, but she hates her J.O.B, and is very eager to work with me - I have no doubt that she will do well... BUT, is it a good idea? Has anyone else worked with family? What about payment? Do I pay her by the hour? or a percentage? Or what?

Any advice would be appreciated

My experience - It's a huge overhead, seems like a good idea when things are going great and you've got too much work to do but really cuts into the profits when things are slow.. I wouldn't do it again

There is nothing worse than working with your family. I have not spoke to my brother for oh blimey <thinking......> for at least 15 years, same with my male parent he's dead now.

I've no regrets at all neither, in fact the only regrets I've got is the fact I was born into their family of thieving and cheating scum in the first place. I guess they would have made fine parasites.

My advice stay well clear of working with family..
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

To quote a well-known movie ...

"Run, Forrest, Run!"

Gordon: I'm glad to see you don't harbor any ill will towards any of them.

The advice regarding working with family is good. I would recommend looking outside for help, keeping in mind you'll need to be able to trust the person you hire.

Andy

Thanks for the advice guys! But IF I do, what should I do about payment?

ABW Ambassador
    She has no experience? Then what would she do for you?
    You can't really pay her very much if she has no experience.
    How much time would it take for you to train her?

How would she feel if her work made it so that you tripled your income, and you were only paying her by the hour?

Would she get greedy and expect 50%? Would she deserve 50% if she was doing 50% of the work?

Family is family. People who work for you should be paid a certain amount, but they wouldn't stop talking to you if you didn't pay them enough, they would just leave. What would your sister do?

What would happen if your lost all of your income and couldn't afford to pay her? after she quit her job to work for you? Would she resent you?

You will end up wanting to strangle your sister... if you like her now, don't employ her.. my advice

Re: payment, I think you should see an accountant, there may be other things to consider, issues like health/sickness/tax/etc..

Having just split up with a business partner of 2+ years I'd say don't do it. Unless you want to end up hating your sister.

What you can do is teach her what you know and then let her go off and do it herself. Keep it to a short time training job. Then let her build her own sites.

ABW Ambassador
    If you get along with your sister i wouldn't recommend it. I've found it's not a good idea to do business with friends or family. Business can get in the way of those relationships, put a strain on them. If things don't work out, there could be lingering resentment.

Even I, who gets along really well with my family members, will never again try to work with them. One brother was too greedy - I was willing to give him $50/sale if I used a contact of his. All of the work would've been mine, so I thought giving him 10% was quite fair. He wanted more. I called the deal off. He lost more than $7500 last year, which he could've had for doing absolutely nothing.

Another brother (and his wife) wanted to try affiliate marketing. He knew absolutely nothing about the business, so my partner and I had to teach them from scratch. They were to be in a non-competing category, so we thought it was fine. Well, after all of our advice, they made their site and complained about very little traffic and not being in Google. We told them about links and they didn't listen. Then, we found a hidden link to a new site they started...trying to compete in the category which pays our bills. I never said anything, knowing they couldn't possibly compete anyway, but I was mad for a good long time.

I love my family, but I would never ever hire any of them...except my parents, who would never be sneaky or greedy.

If you think you need help...

If you work with your family give them % that you think it's fair for the work they've done.

Give the do's and don'ts infront and make it clear that you're the Boss! :-)

Give them limited access where you will need them to help you work on your site/s.

It's better to work with your family than hiring someone outside IMO.

It will also help them learn affiliates that if they want to do it on their own and be successful, it will feels great that you're part of their success (even they don't say thank you! lol...)!

My2Cents! :-)

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

ABW Ambassador
    I would never work with family. You are asking for trouble

Working with family is the same as lending family money.
    Lend them money only if you do not intend on seeing it paid back.

Work with family only……..
    if you intend on not being welcome at any family gatherings again.

"YES" it will be your entire fault no matter the result!

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Your fault if you made them rich and they did not save for taxes and are now in trouble…
    Your fault if they do not make any money…
    Your fault if you can not take enough time to teach them…
    Your fault if they do not understand…
    Your fault if they do not get traffic…
    Your fault if they cannot design a good site…
    Your fault if they loose money…
    Your fault if they have to move in with you because they are now broke…
    Your fault for even suggesting it was easy in the first place…
    Your Fault
    Your Fault
    Your Fault
    Your Fault
    Your Fault[/list]

Never work with or for friends or family. Teach her how it's done and let her try it on her own part time. When she makes enough she can quit her job.

The trouble with hiring anyone to do this work, once they know how it's done why would they continue to work for you rather than go out on their own?

Well - I have a different point of view.

I am going to set up a couple of content sites with my parents. I will set up and manage the sites and my mother will write alot of the content. I will share the profits with them (we are not aiming too high $400 a month to split will be enough - they travel around in a mobile home and live cheeply)

I realy want to help my parents out and get them a little income. They would never set up a site on their own.

I feel that if I keep those few sites seperate from my others it should be fine.

My parents are not money grubbing and they feel that any little bit will help. Maybe I am making a mistake but if I have an honest desire to help them I am confident we will find a way to make it work.

By the way my husband has been partners with his father and brother for 15 years. I know other families that also work together so it is not all doom and gloom.

Val
    Valerie
    <a target="_blank" style="color: #22229C" href="http://www.thexsiteproexperiment.html">
    XSitePro - it has never been easier to create and manage money making sites</a>

Lots to think about, thanks guys!

I do think that if my sister and I were going to hate each other over money or small stuff, we'd be hating by now.

Here's the plan: <LI>She will help me with my sites(small stuff like links at first<LI> We will start a new site together 50/50 <LI>After 6 months she will make her own sites and I'm on my own

Or something like that. I am going to suggest something like $12(about what she's making at her job) an hour for 10 to 15 hours a week to start... does that sound fair?

ABW Ambassador
    You have to think about how much you make per hour, based on how many hours you work.

How much would you earn for 10 to 15 hours per week?

How much would you pay a college student for helping you? (you are employing your sister with no experience)

If you gave your sister $12 per hour for 15 hours, for 6 months, that works out to be $4,680. Are you going to earn that much from your joint site in 6 months? plus what you expect for the work you put into it?

Could your sister add any value to your sites? Or would you just be paying her to learn how to do this business?

Excellent analysis Julian!

Another thought on the issue: How much did you make when you were learning the business?

Pay her your starting rate then increase the rate as she increases your combined earning power.

ABW Ambassador
    Thank you Sandra

I wish someone had paid me $12 per hour to learn this business. I think I made about just over $1,000 after 6 months of doing this.
    For 40 hours per week, for 6 months, that worked out at about $1 per hour.
    Of course it was worth it, because I now earn over $12 per hour

Right now I'm in the process of teaching my sister how to make a website for her products. I don't think that I would ever hire her because in my heart I know our relationship would suffer. She may start thinking I'm unfair to her and begin to start taking advantage of me because I'm family. If I needed help I'd hire someone not related to me, this way if business get slow I can use them on a temporary basis.

It shouldnt be this way (paying your family for work) It just doesn't sounds right.

You could help her build her first website.. introduce her to this business, spend few weeks giving her all the details, and after this leave her on her own, and just give her time to time suggestion.

As for your work, hire someone.
    Thats what I did until now.. and no major conflicts.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread