Anyone got any inspiring affiliate marketing stories? This week has been a joke for me. I have yet to make a dime today with CJ! Normal traffic, normal clickthroughs and 0 sales or leads. I don't know what has happened. I used to make $100 per day with CJ...

Any inspiring posts would be greatly appreciated.

Core

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know how inspiring this is... but it is a chance for me to say "thank you" to everyone here.

After three years of trying to make a content site sell, I started reading CJU (and ABW when CJ forums closed) and instead of scoffing at the success stories (as I had before), I started listening. Reading. Studying.

I opened my ecomm site in the last week of October (2001). In the first full month the site was open (November), I netted less than $100. This month I've already broken four figures (net) and I couldn't be more pleased. I had set the four-figure mark as my goal for February. Time to set new goals. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

I found a "niche" that I know a lot about and every day I learn more about what types of pages sell (for me and my choice of products).

I've completely changed the way I build pages from when I started those few short weeks ago -- and I'm still tweaking and tuning to get every last penny possible.

I continue reading here, listening to every tidbit and then taking away what I want, leaving the rest.

None of this would have happened without the inspiration and knowledge of the people here. So THANK YOU all. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I had set the four-figure goal as a measure of whether I would have to re-enter Corporate America in February. No, I'm not anywhere near my salary in the "real world" (and won't be for some loooong time). But I don't need that level of salary to live -- I needed that level as some sort of incentive to stay in Corporate America. Came a point when the money just wasn't a good enough reason.

Today, it's looking pretty good for me to stay home.

And, for me, there is nothing more inspiring. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Cedric ]

ABW Ambassador
    You are not the only one who needs inspiration. This was my first Christmas and it was discouraging. I would go to the sites I featured, and found so many items out of stock, shipping fees on some are extreme. One example my sister bought gifts through Catalog city the order was $250. The merchant Blair Shop. We called Blair shop today to find why she had not received her order. They claim they could not get "authorization" from Visa. They also claim they sent a letter to her on Dec 13th. She never received the letter! They never emailed her, never called her. My sister told them she did not understand why they could not get authorization, (she has a very low balance on the card) and that she would give them a different card if they would ship the today. They said they could not ship it to get to her for Christmas. Makes you wonder about these merchants. So besides no stock, problems with credit cards, we also have problems with scumware stealing our sales. Come on folks! Inspire us!
    Cazzie [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Online Christmas sales dry up after Dec 18 (only the desparate pay for next day shipping). Sales will probably not go back to normal until most people go back to work on Jan 2.

Core, for what it's worth. I didn't do great with Christmas stuff this year. Most of it was from Amazon. I am on my way for a record month with other stuff however. As for what your site is going through now is what I have dealt with for a long time. The ups and downs. Just when I build it up I get knocked down again. It seems no matter what I do to get where I don't mind being at something happens to change it. This month I found something that was a sure winner. An easy 50-$100 a day. Well that lasted 3 days and the merchant pulled out. I got luck with a couple of good listings and who knows next month they might be gone and I'll find another way just like you always do. Like I tell myself, heads up. It will be there again soon. Thats what bugs me the most though is when all other stats are the same except for the Sales. I still haven't figured that out.

Lansing, I'm hoping for a good 26th online.

Cedric, I hope ya triple it next month.

Cazzie, I found a lot of bad links last night. Links that were in prime time spots. I wasn't very happy. Some of these merchants realy need to get it together.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Packy ]

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Packy ]

Wow, Cedric, that was a great one!! Four figures in two months??!!!

Well, last spring I started hanging out at the CJU forums after having built a big ole content site, gettting okay traffic, and then not making even server fees.

I started following everyone's hints, and....

chose all the wrong merchants and all the wrong products. So I tried some more, and then after the summer blues, some things started to sell. And the light went on, as I could now get an idea of what I was doing right not just what I was doing wrong. November was still under $1,000, thanks to reversals in the apparel department.

December was great, thanks to google and amazon for traffic and sales. But the big thanks definitely go to everyone on the boards, (especially my mentor, Leader) for all the ideas, tips, hints, and inspirational stories.

I'm not even back up to my white collar job salary yet, but I love this stuff. And there isn't a limit. When I left the UW, the top level research technician could earn $36k/year (maybe it's a bit higher now). I like to be able to dream of putting that in the dust.

Cedric, that's great! I'm sure you'll make your target [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Core and Cassies,three years ago when I started out hanging around the Warriors with my first little site,
    I picked up a number of important lessons:

Test- then test some more!
    Or as Cedric said, tweak and tune [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

When planning to sell structure your sales pitch with the old AIDA
    Get your customers-
    A:Attention
    I:Interest
    D [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]esire
    A:Action
    I've noticed some new "Guru's" saying the old "AIDA" principle doesn't work, it does,
    one of my sites strictly based on this principle has been up and running since the beginning of the year and brings in 4 figures every month like clockwork.

Diversify: If you have one site selling (A) product, ask yourself what will people be looking for if their not looking for (A)
    Will they be preparing for the holidays..travel by commercial means or driving in their car?
    Or will a certain amount of people be thinking about starting a new career, getting out of the rat race...show them how.

There are so many variables, we are only limited by our imaginations and ability to build effective sites.

Core and Cazzie, don't get disheartened, just keep you head down, keep learning, working, testing and tweaking and above all, decide in your mind that failure is not an option,and you'll hit the motherlode.

If something isn't working and you've tested and tweaked, dump it and move on until you have a stable of sites which appeal to a variety of people/situations at any given time of the year.
    I must add, I love my mall and my other product sites, but my most consistant and highest paying sites are the info product ones.

Please don't get disheartened, this Christmas was better than last, and the year before and it will only get better.
    If you've battled your way through the malls this season, you'll know what I'm talking about!
    To your greatest success in 2002 [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    "The mouse that roared"

ABW Ambassador
    Core - Don't give up. These boards are the best place for you to be for resources of support, tips, and training. I did not start making money until I visited the CJU boards back in June. I really didn't believe you could make tons of money doing this stuff. But then I started reading the boards and really researching and getting to know the CJ tools and features and it all clicked into place for me. Of course, I attribute alot of it as just a blessing from above. Your dreams of being a successful affiliate marketer can come true - just don't abandon the dream ok. Keep chuggin along until you get it right. I think for me the success came at an unusually fast rate. Probably mainly because I was very motivated at reaching a goal once I realized it could be done and secondly because I don't have much of a life outside of my boyfriend and kids so all I do in my free time and at night is build websites.

I would like to know how you went from making $100 a day to almost nothing? Did your merchants close down? Did you lose search engine ranks? I mean what happened? My commissions continue to steadily rise every month - thus far I have yet to regress - Thank God for that I'm sure. But I also continue to add more sites every month too.

I think the major key is to find markets that are going to sell for you. And also have a really good advertising system in place. If it's broke then fix it. Tweak it and test it like the others were saying. Keep testing your sites and seeing what works. If it's not working, try something else - I mean CJ has thousands of affiliates and the skys the limit Core. Keep ya head up Core - it'll come. 'If you build it, they will come.'

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

four figures??
    Thats not much. I made over $100.00 (5 figures) for months now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Grear stuff Cedric. Hope the New Year brings you five figures.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Of course, I attribute alot of it as just a blessing from above. Your dreams of being a successful affiliate marketer can come true - just don't abandon the dream ok. Keep chuggin along until you get it right. I think for me the success came at an unusually fast rate. Probably mainly because I was very motivated at reaching a goal~Jada"

I'll agree with that part. I realized when I was just a kid that there was SOME legal way to avoid employment and not be broke, but I didn't know what way! When I found the way (Finding the way along with my success at it is something I also count as a "blessing from above") it was pretty much full go!

It's well worth the ups and downs, potentially dodgy merchants, etc. to do this instead of employment.

Or to put it a different way, look at what employment "offers":

The chance to have your sleep totally ruined 5 days a week.

The chance to scrape ice and snow off the car, that would melt on its own if you could only wait a few hours.

The chance to put up with idiots and their "moods"--or else! ('Cause they're the maaaanager!)

The chance to get hollered at for idiot things (how fast you're working, how long your breaks are, were you a minute late [horror of all horrors]).

The chance to make the same thing as always--EVEN IF YOU DO MORE WORK! Income security--Woopee!!

The ability to come in before the sun's even up and leave after it's down.

The chance to know that you missed a beautiful summer day, because you were rotting in some windowless hole putting up with all of the above.

Or, if the place has windows, the ability to watch just how beautiful the day IS that you're missing while rotting in some hole!

The knowledge that all days missed were beautiful, if only you could have been OUT THERE!

Now consider affiliate marketing: (This is kinda random...)

The chance to eliminate idiots from your life with the click of the Drop Program button. Click! End of problem [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

The chance to make MORE if you do it right!

The chance to keep making what you were, if you decide to do nothing for a few days!

The wonderful chance to hear cars start between 5:30 and 7:00 AM, topped off with the sound of ice being scraped. And knowing it's not YOUR car and ice scraper making the noise!!!

The chance to watch wage slaves drag into their houses at about 5:30 or 6:00 PM, dead tired...as you leisurely eat your lunch! Basically the ability to be just getting going when they're already all exhausted for the day...

If you decide to play games and go on ABW all day, no one has the right to say anything against it.

If you want to go out, you can do it.

If you decide to stay at the computer on a beautiful day, it's because YOU DECIDED TO--which makes all the difference!

Want a raise? Make a page. Want a bigger one? Write ten...

Dud merchant? Ditch it and get another with two clicks. (Drop program...Join Program!) Try replacing a JOB that quick

There's no "No Smoking" signs in an affiliate marketer's office--unless you put them there yourself.

You never have to listen to Office Music unless you actually like it.

Drink all the pop you want to. Or don't have any. It's up to you!

Same with food.

You never need an excuse for: Showing up late, leaving early, long breaks, or NOT SHOWING UP AT ALL!

You also don't need an excuse for typing slow, or not doing what you did yesterday.

You don't have to pretend to "work well in teams"!!!

You do not have to hide your distaste for those "teamy" places.

You do not have to pretend to buy into any OTHER corporate BS, buzzwords, falsified gung ho-ness, etc.

NO meetings!

Of course there's about 100 more but I guess I will stop now. I think I could go on and on about what's so great about this business (despite the rocky parts)! But a lot of it boils down to YOU'RE FREE THIS WAY!

I posted my own story a while back on ABW and back on CJU so I figure you've probably read it already...hopefully this will be inspiring enough!

Core,

A few things ...

$100 a day to ZERO? How in the world?

I have, personally, have given up on making real money with CJ for external reasons but I still, notwithstanding, question their tracking! No, no one service can track 100% but the discrepancies that I have only leave me to believe many bad things (not being paranoid). Now I have tried "other" networks and they seem to "work" less effectively but I think that is because my CJ merchants are better (customer POV). I think CJ is the "Best of the rest" but they "Have a LONG road ahead" for REAL success!

To quote my inspirations since I was 18 ...

"I never see failure as failure but .... As the game I need to play to win!" (and others)

"And Success is a Journey NOT a Destination!"

So if your need to be successful is great enough ... it will happen .... "What the mind can perceive the body will achieve!"

"GOYA! - Get off your ass" and do it ... get it ... achieve it!

Ok nuff Tommy Hopkins (author of "How to Master the Art of Selling " now also buy The greatest salesman in the world by Og Mandino and your on your way! Some really powerful insights in those two books .... Mandino's will take you some time tho (heheheeh [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

----------

Cedric,

I can easily see why you went from 0 to four figures ... you have a great affiliate future ahead of you, This is a fact!

----------

Cazzie,

Pure utter BS! PM ME .... lets take care of this! And I can tell you you have come a fantastic distance also

----------

webmistress,

You will!

----------

Packy,

"It will be there again soon" - True that!

----------

MJ,

"we are only limited by our imaginations and ability to build effective sites."

Beautifully said!

----------

Jada,

Spiders [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Haiko

ABW Ambassador
    First, thanks to everyone for your kind comments... I don't fool myself about January -- I did very well with Harry Potter and I know that's not going to continue... so I keep building pages.

Second, lol, I have to respond to some of Leader's comments... in a chucklesome tone (which may not be inspirational at all!):

>>The chance to make MORE if you do it right!

And the chance to do it without health insurance, without paid vacation, without someone else worrying about the Bottom Line.

>>The chance to keep making what you were, if you decide to do nothing for a few days!<<

But you never decide to do nothing.

>>The wonderful chance to hear cars start between 5:30 and 7:00 AM<<

You hear them only because you haven't gone to bed yet.

>>The chance to watch wage slaves drag into their houses at about 5:30 or 6:00 PM<<

You still haven't gone to bed.

>>Basically the ability to be just getting going when they're already all exhausted for the day...<<

Because you've passed the point of exhaustion, but mainlining caffeine and nicotine keeps you going.

>>If you decide to play games and go on ABW all day, no one has the right to say anything against it.<<

But you don't because you're stats are down a smidge so you're building more pages. Besides which, this one only holds true if you live by yourself... even the cats will give you dirty looks if you take too long a break (technically though, that may be the exhaustion and caffeine-induced paranoia speaking).

>>If you want to go out, you can do it.<<

But you don't because BeFree stats update around 4:45 a.m. and you have to be there for that and what the devil is open at 4:45 a.m. anyway?

>>If you decide to stay at the computer on a beautiful day, it's because YOU DECIDED TO--which makes all the difference!<<

However, it doesn't prevent eyestrain, carpal tunnel, burning shoulders, and that funky little cramp in your neck.

>>Want a raise? Make a page. Want a bigger one? Write ten...<<

Are you ever going to bed?

>>Dud merchant? Ditch it and get another with two clicks. (Drop program...Join Program!) Try replacing a JOB that quick<<

But don't replace them until they've sucked up enough PPC money that you're absolutely positively sure they're a dud. Drop their program. Take down all their links. Two minutes later, you'll have your first sale for them. Spend the rest of the afternoon putting all their links back up. Repeat process when that sale is reversed.

>>There's no "No Smoking" signs in an affiliate marketer's office--unless you put them there yourself.<<

But the cats will complain about the haze.

>>You never have to listen to Office Music unless you actually like it.<<

But you can put your favorite CD on a permanent loop until the point you wonder why you ever liked it.

>>Drink all the pop you want to. Or don't have any. It's up to you!<<

It's not up to you -- without the caffeine, you'll never make it.

>>Same with food.<<

Same with what?

>>You never need an excuse for: Showing up late, leaving early, long breaks, or NOT SHOWING UP AT ALL!<<

But you'll make them up anyway because family and friends don't think the 80 hours you've already spent working this week is "real work".

>>You also don't need an excuse for typing slow, or not doing what you did yesterday.<<

But you wish you'd spent more time practicing those typing drills because every second lost is penny down the drain.

>>You don't have to pretend to "work well in teams"!!!<<

Unless you have a dog. Or a spouse.

>>You do not have to hide your distaste for those "teamy" places.<<

Again, the dog is going to be hurt.

>>You do not have to pretend to buy into any OTHER corporate BS, buzzwords, falsified gung ho-ness, etc.<<

But when you say "pay-per-click engine", everyone you know will say "paper click engine, what the heck is that"? A confusing conversation will ensue. And don't even think about trying to explain what you do for a living.

>>NO meetings!<<

Amen and amen. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

lol! that's really funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

lol! that's really funny [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    and so true!

Cedric--Pretty much ROFLMAO!!!

Although I get plenty of food...there's an unbelievable amount of stuff (yes, besides pizza) which can be eaten at a desk!!!

I suppose the best thing despite the truth of a lot of your comments, is that nobody's MAKING ME do any of it!

As for paid vacations...it's all a paid vacation if you can tear yourself a-w-a-y...would you rather have a Boss tell you that a big order came in so "CANCEL YOUR VACATION, YOU CAN'T GO!"???

And without a job making you sick, you should need so much insurance...

You did hit the nail on the head as to hearing the cars because I haven't gone to bed. But I always was up all night anyway. This sure beats the heck out of night stock, which is one of the jobs I had before my emancipation! Night jobs in factories are other things I got paid for while being up at my normal time.

But usually I hear the cars coming back because I'm just waking up not because I still haven't gone to bed.

No cats to complain about the haze here...

No team-obsessed dogs, either!

What IS it about the tendency to loop a CD until it's dead!? I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that, LOL!

Try adjusting your monitor angle to get rid of that funky cramp in the neck. Of course that leaves the burning, watering eyes, carpal tunnel and sore shoulders!

And I didn't make any more pages today. Although it was hard to resist running over to put some paid links in that I thought of!!

Well, you did pretty good at showing the other side of what was SUPPOSED to be INSPIRING! So that leaves the ULTIMATE WEAPONS for uninspired people:

Imagine being back at your worst job ever...

And if even that doesn't work, call Kelly Temporary Services (employment)! THEY'LL fix you...

Thankfully, I've never had to use the last ultimate weapon for inspiration--just IMAGINING being back at some of my old jobs :eek: is plenty enough inspiration for me to start TYPING!

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

ABW Ambassador
    Story #1
    A partner and I approached a vendor and negotiated and better deal than they were offering to the general public.

We spent about $1000 to have a site professionally designed and the costs involved in getting a listing in Yahoo!, INK and Looksmart.

We were making NICE 4 figures from the get go primarily from the Yahoo! traffic since we were listed @ #1.
    That lasted 6 months UNTIL
    Some idiot editor "modified' our title and now we are lucky to net $500 a month.
    What the heck, it was fun while it lasted.

Story #2
    We didn't spend a dime on the site.
    I pushed BIG BUCKS at PPC for 4 months.
    Then we stopped and recovered what we spent for the business.
    Now we just sit back and take in the residuals.

Story #3, 4, 5 etc.
    We tried it, it didn't sell; so, we trashed it in 90 days.

You have to keep moving on..............imho

Hi All,

Thank You to everyone who posted. I know that I need to keep adapting because things are changing all the time. I actually re-read an interesting book about it this weekend called, "Who Moved My Cheese." I would recommend it to everyone. While I was out of town yesterday I also picked up a book about Affiliate Marketing to see if it had something I didn't know.
    I am making about $30.00 per day now. I am not going to complain about CJ tracking. I will just say that it must just be the holiday season and move on.

Have a fun and safe holiday everyone!!! May we all get a ton of new computer hardware and software!

Core

Core - keep working at it and try different things out. There must be 1000s of niche markets out there.. like I got a #1 on google for a clothing brand a couple of months ago and amazingly there is no page in yahoo.. so I got a free #1 there too!
    I only started building sites this year and after months of being told by everybody that I'm wasting my time I now make good 4 figure profits every month.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Spiderman ]

Bob Dylan said it best, I think:

A person is successful, if from the time they get up to the time they go to bed, they do exactly what they want to do.

E-commerce is realy relatively easy and anyone can make some money and even a profit if you understand just five simple things:

1. A web page that sells is an exercise in direct marketing and is for themost part just like doing direct mail but without the stamps.

2. Words sell, not pictures. So you want to sell tell a story. ASK people to buy. TELL them to do it a NOW. Read the stuff from the really good direct mail marketers on how to do it: Gary Halbert, Jay Abrahams, Sam Robbins. The do it like they say to do it.

3. KISS. Keep it simple. Go to www.clickbank.com and go thru the list of advertisers and see how they create their sales pages. Copy the format and plug in your
    merchants or whatyou are selling.

4. If you find something that works, keep doing it. If something doesn't work, fix it if you can, if it still dosen't work, move on.

5. It took Rome 500 years to become an empire. And the only way you can eat an elephant is one bite at a time. The secret is to make more each month, whether it is just a few dollars more. If you make $30 in month 1 and increase it by $20 each month, in a year you will be making $250/month. That's $3,000 extra per year and more money per year than hundreds of millions of people make every year.

If you can get to $100 per month after 90 days and then earn an extra hundred per month each month thereafter in two years you will be making more than 80% of the people in the world.

Have fun and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

ABW Ambassador
    Leader take it easy - I still have my 9-5.
    'The chance to have your sleep totally ruined 5 days a week---Leader' Umm, that would be me.

'The chance to scrape ice and snow off the car, that would melt on its own if you could only wait a few hours----Leader' Umm, that would be me again.

Now tell me why, when I'm making the kind of money I'm making, which makes my real full-time job's income look like the extra income, am I still working at this place they call a job??? (scratching my head)

Why can't I get up the courage to quit working? I think I'm fearful of the really bad days which may oneday come for me when I'll be on abestweb talking about I didn't make one dime today. (knock on wood). Or is it because I'm a victim of the "Underpaid and Overworked" league. A victim of "Job Security" when hell, there really is none.

Being successful in affiliate marketing has made me realize how underpaid I really am. How is it that I can work a full-time job everyday and work 10-15 hours a week in affiliate marketing and make 10 times that much. Something is wrong with that picture.

I can't wait to see how I'm thinking a year from today. It remains to be seen. Gauld I love affiliate marketing.
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: JadaKiss ]

I forgot one:

Discussion boards. You make some great friends, and because you don't have to share coffee with them too often (sure would love an annual get together, though), they don't get on your nerves!!!

I feel like I have more friends on line than off lately, which doesn't bother me. My online friends and I have a lot of common interests.

Jada, if I were in your shoes I don't know if I'd quit a job. I would certainly switch to part time, but that's me. I just can't spend a whole day at a job, ever since my college loans were paid off! And that one was because my dad had co-signed on them and I didn't want him to have to deal with the collections.

Okay, back to work. Gotta go diversify so I don't find myself worrying on ABW someday that I made only a dime.

Wishing everyone further success,

Sorry Jada, I can't try to motivate you to keep the job! You could do fine without one!

You heard the sound of your alarm clock...

You recognized the sound of your own ice scraper...

You compared your earnings from TheJob and affiliate marketing...

You realized something was wrong with the picture...

What's wrong with the picture is that there's a dud merchant in it. And that dud merchant's name is TheJob! It's underperforming, and requires way too much maintenance!

Here's an idea to lessen the anxiety of making that Final Call--the call where you declare your independence:

Save up a big bunch of bank in case of any downturns (actually a lot of financial people in the papers and on TV say that an emergency fund that would cover 6-12 months is prudent [depends on what kind of a j*b you'd need if you had to go find another]), and you won't have to be so worried about the ups and downs of the affiliate business. They actually say everybody should save up at least 6 months of emergency funds, in case "job security" evaporates!

Once you've got enough saved up that you figure you'd be set for a good long while, with lots of time to replace any lost income...watch that J*b of yours get stale REAL fast--quick like in a movie!

Now if you've already got lots of savings and you're STILL working [employment], then :confused:

ABW Ambassador
    Leader - we must think alike - 'Save up a big bunch of bank in case of any downturns'. That's exactly what I had in mind. Once I have a years salary saved in the bank and of course pay my new mortgage down a bit - I'm out of there. I see that happening by the time I am just about to turn 32 and probably before that at the rate things are going. Man, I am so glad I am in affiliate marketing. It's my baby.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    After 35 years in the computer business affiliate marketing and building web sites just keeps the brain functioning at full tilt. Some days the bathrobe is still on when the sun goes down and no longer do I have to wait on the UPS truck daily for products to build out systems and take to customers. Real asset is that I can continue to smoke when I want and have 2 fresh pots of coffee every day.

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread