ABW Ambassador
    Once upon a time there were men and women who researched the internet including business like forums to discover merchants who converted well and who paid on time. It made no difference whether the merchant was on a network or not as long as they had a record of treating their partners well.

These men and women then built product specific sites with static pages each optimized for a targeted keyword phrase. They continually searched for unique keyword phrases and tracked performance. They designed and made their own “creative”. Their sites had unique content that provided information to the surfers as well as a place to buy a needed product / service. Each page was its own “full page creative”.

They then linked to the sites from their mall sites or directories. Traffic developed and sales were made.

The only problem they encountered from time to time was someone spamming the search engines better than they were spamming the search engines. With algo changes it all seemed to balance out over time.

They found a community on the web to ask question. A community where people were successfully promoting products and services and were willing to share positive ideas with each other in a calm and intelligent manner. They made good friends.

THOSE WERE THE DAYS!
    Where have all those people gone?

Mike Mackin
    AM@ixap.com

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Ummm...I'm intelligent, albeit not always calm. There are other folks around here who are both. Some are neither. Typical mix for any large group of people, really.

Sounds like my site and the people are still here. there's just more of us now. You've just gone from a small community to the big bad city now.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Still here praying the networks would stop the sleezebag affiliate actions that ruin conversions for even the best merchants. The short cut and cookie stuffer artists have multiplied and the showcase pages builders have seen their income drop.

I even get 180Solutions popups on my own domain from rogue affiliates let alone the actions of the BHO's attacking my savvy shoppers at the end of the click. Maybe the FTC and Microsoft will whack the BHO's. The only other cure is to take away the INCENT crutch that entices SE and e-mail spammers and hope the big 4 SE's allow for reporting Drive-by and hidden bundling of spyware/adware sites to bann them from listings.

The Little Network that could strip all diversion tactics from merchants and report 100% of sales still can't combat "cookie stuffers". Only recourse there in a Sales Network is to boot without pay the offenders using Poons and Ms. B's cookie tools. Heck I'd even opt for giving any OUTED affiliate's pay to Poon and Ms.B. and place them in a public rogues gallery.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> were willing to share positive ideas with each other in a calm and intelligent manner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, that never existed--at least not with *everyone* fitting that description. The illusion that it did, is probably result of a memory that forgot just what that grey stuff is all over the roads of the past. The grey stuff is the ashes of the hot flame wars of old!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The only problem they encountered from time to time was someone spamming the search engines better than they were spamming the search engines. With algo changes it all seemed to balance out over time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those days aren't over. The way I see it, that's happening right NOW! Get a #1 in the 2 major SEs with pages promoting a merchant who pays, and all the rest is pretty much inconsequential.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Merchant Consultant THOSE WERE THE DAYS!
    Where have all those people gone?

Mike Mackin
    AM@ixap.com <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're still here - maybe not as vocal but still here

Just busy working on new sites, stuff, content, sales...

Ebudae

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread