Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ok this guy is on the game show for 25 days and keeps winning every night. either 2 things is happening either he is very smart or he is getting the answers any opinions. They say ratings are up but I have stopped watching 2 weeks ago I think its a sham
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

That dude should star in Mel Gibson's sequal to The Passion cause he is a God.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I haven't watched Jeopardy in ages.

But I would doubt that a show's bosses would put a fix in to benefit the same guy for 25 days running. That's going to draw a lot of scrutiny just because it's so rare for someone to do *that* well. I don't think the show's bosses would want to be under such a microscope, especially if they were up to things. I think if it was crooked they'd try to make it look more natural than to have only one guy win for almost a month!

Of course, there could be an inside job going on that's *not* authorized by the head honchos...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

At first I was thinking it was fixed but, I came to the conclusion that the guy must be very smart.

There is no way they are going to rig it for 25 days in a row and risk it all just for the ratings, because sooner or later the cheaters get caught at the end.

Sal.

He's been on for 35 shows now....as of last night...Did he win tonight? I never watch Jeopardy anymore. Tonight would be #36 if he won.

No I don't think it's fixed at all.

ABW Ambassador
    You think it is fixed because the guy keeps winning? Need to see more evidence than that before I buy into this conspiracy theory. Any evidence? .... No, didn't think so.

Some people are intimidated by "smart" people. There were those that said they voted for Bush because Gore was "too smart to be president."

By the way, he's up to 35 wins as of yesterday and no reason to think he didn't win today. He may not be a god be he sure seems smarter than one. No way he'd be elected President.

Wayne

I'm sure it's not fixed. He's really really smart, plus he's sure enough of himself to click in before he's thought of the right answer. He trusts himself more than the other contestants do.

I'm watching it more often than usual because he's there. I imagine a lot of people are.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I'm pretty good at general knowledge quizzes but this guy leaves me standing.

It will take a very clever man or a red headed or brunette lady to defeat him, a blonde has no chance.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

The reason I think its fixed is the guy knows too much about everything. I can see him being good in a category like software which is his profession but the other night he got all the mixed drinks in the liqour category. No offense here but he doesnt drink so how would he know all this stuff. There isn't a doubt in my mind that it isn't fixed and Alex Trebek is a parasite and is going to keep all his winnings lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> No offense here but he doesnt drink so how would he know all this stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't been into space but I know a a bit about astronomy.

The guy's smart.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>No offense here but he doesnt drink so how would he know all this stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I watched it one night and Alex asked him how he did so well in the potent potables category (mixed drinks). He explained that he doesn't drink but his wife made up flashcards for him and quizzed him on drinks to help prepare him for the show.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I have been watching it off and on.

Two things seem to be working in his favor. First, his timing on hitting that buzzer is remarkable. He rings in before his competition even has a chance. Second, he's very knowledgeable. (Whether or not he's smart isn't obvious to me.)

Have you guys ever met someone who has a photographic memory? The highest grades in my freshman Majors Zoology class were earned by a history major who signed up for the course accidentally. She had a photographic memory and set the curve on every exam. She was utterly uninterested in the topic, but had the ability to scan a textbook and immediately commit its contents to memory. A very useful skill. And no, she wasn't too terribly smart.

Well I have read there are two major things that have given him this chance. One was a rule change where before you could only play for five shows maxiumum but that rule was abolished. But apparently in past shows there were definitely people that could have had similar runs. But the more interesting comments I have read have to do with the buzzer system. Basically most contestants do know all that stuff but the key is winning the buzzer. Those new contestants have a disadvantage since they lose the timing required from when Alex finishes the question and to when the buzzers are actually activated. What in theory can happen is you click before they activate and then you cannot click again until some seconds later. He seems to be right in rhythm banging it each time. Regardless I don't think its a fix I just think its a smart guy with a few advantages after being on the show so long.

The funny thing is he totally blew a computer category a few days ago. (He's a computer programmer.) It's quite impressive to watch. He makes the other contestants look like first graders.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    There was an article in the LA Times today that was written by one of his earlier competitors (she was on twice for some reason against him.) She agreed with you. She said that the other competitors knew the answers to the questions too it's just that he is really great at hitting the buzzer at the right time.

The way she explained it was that hitting the buzzer is a bit tricky. They have a light that goes on after Alex finishes the question that only the contestants can see. If they buzz in before the light comes on their buzzer doesn't work. This guy is buzzing in right at the exact moment the light goes on so he gets to answer the questions. Because he's good at hitting the buzzer at the time he needs to, he can run the table on the questions and he gets 75-80% of the questions that way.

She pointed out that the guy isn't that great at final jeopardy but by the time it gets to that point he's so far ahead it doesn't matter.

She said the reason for his success is because he has the buzzer system down. The way she talked about it, there is a bit of an art to it.

It's a whole lot more than just the buzzer. The range of knowledge he has is impressive. I probably couldn't answer a third of the questions he answers, and I consider myself fairly knowledgeable.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

exactly MichaelColey, Both me and Pauline watch him most nights and try to compete with him but sadly we are always left in his wake every night.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I just keep thinkin about that movie "Quiz Show" and that it wouldnt be that far fetched to simulate someone winning big like that so that ratings would go up. I mean everyone and their mother is talking about Jeopardy now. And didnt they just change the rule about lenghth of stay on the show?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's a whole lot more than just the buzzer. The range of knowledge he has is impressive. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I agree that he's smart, but from what the lady said in her article she and the other contestants knew the answers too -- not sure if they could have stayed on so many days though So it isn't like the guy is so much smarter than the other contestants. Since he's fast on his buzzer he got to say the answers. If everyone knows the answers and you buzz in 75% of the time you're going to win.

BTW, have you ever seen one of the tests that you need to take before you go on Jeopardy? They had a small part of one in the paper a few years back. It was tough. It's all fill in the blank and was quite difficult. I'm no slouch when it comes to Jeopardy but the test questions were quite a bit tougher than the ones on the show as they give the question not the answer.

Funny you mention that Kip... when I was in college, I actually tried out for Jeopardy in NYC, and was one of 20 who got past the written exam. It was 100 fill-in-the-blank questions, which were read by Alex Trebek on a tape on TV, so it was fairly similar to the actual show except for being written. After I qualified, we moved on to an interview and mock game. And believe me, that buzzer is TOUGH! I think coordination is the key to Jeopardy. There are plenty of smart people, but how many can recall an answer while simultaneously pushing a button with only their thumbs (and the way you have to hold your hand out, your arm and thumb get VERY tired)? I think that along with the flash card drills, he must have rigged up some kind of fake buzzer to practice on, to get the technique down. That alone would explain his advantage.
    [size=2]Amanda Moralis
    The Eastwood Company
    [email="affiliates@eastwood.com"]affiliates AT eastwood.com[/email]
    [url="http://www.eastwood.com/jump.jsp?itemID=34&itemType=CONTENT"]Sign-up Link[/url]
    [/size]

I just watched today's show, and it confirmed much of what everyone is saying.

Out of the 60 questions, Ken buzzed in first on 37. The other two buzzed in first on 9 and 4. There were 5 questions where nobody buzzed in (plus 2 that they didn't get to and 3 daily doubles that Ken got since he had control of the board). So buzzing in quickly was a major factor.

Of the 40 questions Ken answered, he got 39 right. (THAT'S IMPRESSIVE!) The others each missed one, too. This shows the breadth of his knowledge, as he knew at least 39 of the 58 questions he saw. He probably knew some of the 13 that the others answered, too.

There were eight opportunities to buzz in (5 that nobody answered, 3 that the first person answered wrong) without having to race Ken.

On Final Jeopardy, Ken was the only one to get it right.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Wow, good statistics tracking. This might be a good substitute in the off season for those unable to watch a baseball game without filling in detailed scorecards.

The stat I like comes from the only Jeopardy program I've seen since "Ken Madness" began. The night he hit the million dollar mark, I watched it at the local pub. The Final Jeopardy was about NY Times headline sizes and all three, including Ken got it wrong. I got it right. He still ended up with $32,000. I got a free glass of wine.

Wayne

Hmmm Some people are intimidated by smart people but I am glad to say that I am not one of them so that theory is wrong.
    Now Back to the subject in hand, I just typed in "jeopardy Fixed" in google and it seems there are boards all over the place talking about the same subject.
    "His wife made flash card son drinks" I don't believe that for one second even though I seen him say that myself. What other flash cards did they do? Is it possible they covered every subject known to man if so Good for him. What is next when he does lose are they going to bring back all the past winners that were booted off after winning 5 days in a row and put it on pay per view lol

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Now Back to the subject in hand, I just typed in "jeopardy Fixed" in google and it seems there are boards all over the place talking about the same subject. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Type in "moon landing hoax." Or "holocaust hoax." Lots of people talking about something doesn't make it true. Talk is cheap but no substitute for evidence. Hence, a lot of conspiracy theorists talking without proving anything. This is just another example.

I suppose it's fun entertainment, though.

Wayne

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast