Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Hi, my name is Rhea, and I'm a geography geek.

I admit that I maintain a map graphic of the world and whenever I get a hit from a new country I "color in" that country on my map. (Or if it's a really small country I add it to a list.)

After five years of keeping track I'm missing most of Africa, but not much else. A few countries are MIA like Laos and Afghanistan (although I have Cambodia and Uzbekistan). I don't expect to ever see North Korea on my tracker. But my favorite hit came from Vatican City. I can't imagine what that was all about!

Got any cool stories to share? Somebody please tell me I'm not the only nut who does this!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't take it to that extent, but I do tend to remember hits from surprising places.

I did get one from Afghanistan Probably some of our troops missing the great world of American advertising.

But I'm more prone to remember agencies that show an interest in my site. When I had my atomic clocks pages ranked in the top 10, the International Atomic Energy Agency couldn't get enough of looking at them. I wonder if they thought they were for timing nuclear bombs or something LOL! I was always hoping they'd buy 100 or so, just so they could make sure that the clocks were okay...

And when I put up a page a few years back about how to dry herbs, I was promptly checked out by the DEA, the CIA, and some similar agencies. I hope they enjoyed seeing how to dry parsley and the like!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

WOW - I used to watch geography closely, as time has passed and traffic increased I was off to other things.

I must admit it brought me great joy to see where all the people originated!

I know the feeling, I don't watch countries any more, but on my communications forms I have a field for location (useful on my gardening site to know where people are).

My best one was from Humpty Doo in Australia which has always been one of my favourite place names. I also get a thrill if it's a far-flung place or a little island, out comes the atlas to see where the folks are.

To me the country stats have always been one of the coolest stats to check out. I'm amazed at some of the places in the world that show up. A few, ok many I never even heard of. Whether your nuts or not Rhea for keeping a map, I like the idea and might borrow it from ya
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Packster, if you want a copy of my globe gif let me know and I'll email it to you. I downloaded it from somewhere online but had to tinker with it heavily to get it right. (The west coast of Africa in particular was a real mess.)

What a relief to know I'm not the only person who gets a kick out of seeing where my visitors come from. Some day I'll have the whole map (except North Korea) colored in and then I'll be bummed!

Here's an interesting tidbit I learned along the way. There is no country code for Antarctica because all the stations located there use the country code for their own nation. So you might have had visitors from Antarctica, but you'll never know it.

I carry some military-related information on one of my sites, and there's often US military having a read.

The coolest email I ever got was a question from the Space & Naval Warfare Command - http://enterprise.spawar.navy.mil/ - asking me for help because the NSA didn't know the answer (!)
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So you might have had visitors from Antarctica, but you'll never know it. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've had emails from Antarctica

I've also got a guestmap on one of my sites from Bravenet: http://www.bravenet.com/index.php
    which is popular with visitors, it holds 100 messages on the free version with 1000 I think on the paid-for.

I took a course stream in Business Geography and Market Analysis. The overall consensus in the world today is that it is states and capitals. With the new GIS software applications out there and the Census getting more and more accurate, it is amazing how you can target certain places that have customers that fit the demographic for your product or service. A very good book on this was written by my professor Dr. Thrall
    http://web.clas.ufl.edu/users/thrall/oxford2002.html
    Something for you to chew on Rhea since you are a geography geek like me
    -Matt

ABW Ambassador
    I get a bunch of .edus and k12.[state].us visitors during the school year at one of my sites. I've thought about marking each city that visits with a pin on an old nationwide Rand-McNally Interstate/major highway map.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread