We (ok, my lovely spouse... ) is w*rking too hard . After reading Leader's posts for months and months now, it's finally beginning to sink in. W*rk is a four-letter word best reserved for digging ditches. Plus, we're starting to get a little overwhelmed!

So now we're researching data feeds.

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Question 1: Webmerge & Scripts4YourSite differences: If I understand things correctly, webmerge sits on your PC, and you take the datafeed, run it through webmerge and it creates static pages that you then ftp up

A script from scripts4yoursite sits on your site and dynamically queries a database to pull items to be shown? Is this correct?

If so, when the datafeed is updated, if you are using webmerge, you re-create the static pages by running webmerge against the newdatafeed and re-upload the new static pages

If using a script you set up a cron job to load the new datafeed into the database, and dont touch the script cause it's done dynamically... are these all correct assumptions?

<LI>Question 2: Currently we have 19 domains worth of static html pages with affiliate links scattered hither and yon... We would like the ability to swap out links wholesale (once we decide we dont want to do business with a certain company, for example). As things stand now, that's a huge undertaking.

I've read about people having all aff links in a database so they can switch things out quickly and easily. Are you exclusively using datafeeds to accomplish this, so you dont work with merchants that dont offer a datafeed?

Or are you taking each CJ/LS/BF/etc link and manually plugging it into a database yourself? For example, we see a new merch we want to work with. Instead of copy/pasting onto .html, we insert into mysql, then create .php to display. Little more work up front, but much easier to work with down the road. Is this how it's done?

If so, do you have one big db sitting somewhere and all your pages on all your domains query this db for any products (from angora to zippos) you want to sell? Or do you set up a db for each product line, company, domain,???

What's commercially available for this? Where should I go to look to continue my education here?[/list]

Just trying to map it all out so we can keep those profits increasing...

Thanks!

Mel
    Goal: $4500 per month by Christmas, 2003
    Sunset Beach Trading Company - Financially Free in 2003

Hi Mel. You are correct about question 1. You did leave out a step though. When you update via webmerge, you must download the datafeed to your system to update and when you use one of my scripts, the feed is downloaded to the server by the script and updated there. Basically, once you setup a cronjob with my script, you don't touch the update process anymore. The only time you will need to touch any of that is if something gets changed on the merchant end.

As for question 2, it wouldn't matter if you had your links in a database or used webmerge. With either, you do an update and do some tweaking (column names, etc) and you are done. On one of my datafeed sites, I recently went from a BF feed merchant to a CJ feed merchant in a little under an hour. It was a 100% total site change.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cditty:
    Hi Mel. You are correct about question 1.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for question 2, it wouldn't matter if you had your links in a database or used webmerge. With either, you do an update and do some tweaking (column names, etc) and you are done. On one of my datafeed sites, I recently went from a BF feed merchant to a CJ feed merchant in a little under an hour. It was a 100% total site change.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So you are talking only datafeed merchants here? If we wanted to work with a merchant that does not offer a datafeed, we key in the aff links ourself, with the same end result (whether using webmerge or a php script) correct? So the trick is for non-datafeed merchants, key the links in ourself. For datafeed merchants, use their datafeed.

One big hole in my design I'm sketching out: One big database residing on one domain with all merchants and products (for the non-datafeed merchants), or multiple databases across many domains? I understand it could/would work both ways, but what would be optimum? I'm leaning towards one db for ease of maintenance/coding, but what size does that get to be!

For the datafeed merchants, I'll use their feed (and probably your scripts )

Again, any commercial products recommended for the non-df aff links? I'm pretty comfortable with php/mysql, but dont want to design/implement a solution when I can buy one (that works! ) out of the box....

Thanks for the reply Chris.

Mel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So you are talking only datafeed merchants here? If we wanted to work with a merchant that does not offer a datafeed, we key in the aff links ourself, with the same end result (whether using webmerge or a php script) correct? So the trick is for non-datafeed merchants, key the links in ourself. For datafeed merchants, use their datafeed.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Correct.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    One big hole in my design I'm sketching out: One big database residing on one domain with all merchants and products (for the non-datafeed merchants), or multiple databases across many domains? I understand it could/would work both ways, but what would be optimum? I'm leaning towards one db for ease of maintenance/coding, but what size does that get to be! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would say that as long as you have a good DB design, then size shouldn't matter. Just make sure you use indexes and keys effectively. Those are my weak areas, so I'll leave it up to someone else to answer this.

Again, any commercial products recommended for the non-df aff links? I'm pretty comfortable with php/mysql, but dont want to design/implement a solution when I can buy one (that works! ) out of the box....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't really recommend anything. I personally use DreamWeaver MX for my dev/html work. I also use UltraEdit for quick work or when working with LARGE files. Use what programs you are comfortable with.

Thanks for the reply Chris.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Not a problem.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Featuring datafeed import scripts for Backcountry Store, Coldwater Creek, Mondera.com and many more.....

Anyone else have examples of putting non datafeed merchant links in a database?

Anyone dump all aff links into mysql & use php to serve them out?

Any comments or suggestions on aff link management software?

Mel

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cditty:
    One big hole in my design I'm sketching out: One big database residing on one domain with all merchants and products (for the non-datafeed merchants), or multiple databases across many domains? I understand it could/would work both ways, but what would be optimum? I'm leaning towards one db for ease of maintenance/coding, but what size does that get to be! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would say that as long as you have a good DB design, then size shouldn't matter. Just make sure you use indexes and keys effectively. Those are my weak areas, so I'll leave it up to someone else to answer this.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    You could use one database and many tables, one table for each ...
    You could use one database for each under one server...
    You could use multiple servers to serve your databases..

It's really up to you.

I use the second option myself. Then my scripts each get a separate username and a database, and limited access on the server to only the database of the same name...

It's all just how you like your bookkeeping.. I like being able to backup each by copying the database directories off, since the server keeps the files in separate directories by database name..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

One database for each merchant, all on one server...

Then any sites I build could access any or all of the products of any merch, no matter what domain the site I'm building is on.. cool... and when we want to swap out a merch, or emphasize a merch, we change out the queries on the sites. Or build into the table structure for the merch an enabled/disabled field... hmmmmmm.....

Thanks FFoc - I appreciate the feedback..

Giddy-up! Work to do!

Mel

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread