ABW Ambassador
    Anyone else in this? It's hit Florida, but not quite to where I'm at yet. I don't know how many of you live in Florida, but please pray for us that do. I think it might be headed right for where I'm at. I've never been in one of these before.

Trust, you are in Florida too, right?

Everyone is sucking down the bandwidth in my area I think. Net is running so slow.
    I forgot what I was doing.

You all be carefull and let us know how you are when things settle down!!!!!
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    Not currently in Florida, lived in Orlando for 13 years, went to school there, will be moving back shortly. My parents live there, lots of relatives and friends. The only time i remember Orlando really getting anything was in 92 i think when there was some high wind, lots of rain and some trees uprooted. I used to work at a grocery store and remember those days anytime a storm got anywhere near, stores just getting wiped out. Trying to make some calls but nobody is home, just watching on TV. Doesn't look good for all the coastal areas.

ABW Ambassador
    My brother lives in Cape Coral and he is being hit now! He just lost the screen house he has over the pool and the linai. Some shingles off the roof. He is very worried. I am trying to reach my sister who is on the east coast but with no luck, guess she is at work. MY brother feels he is going to have to find a place to live for his family after this storm is over and that is why we are trying to contact her. He took his inlaws from their home because it is situated on a canal. They are all huddle in the back bedroom of the house he feels that is the safest room. He is afraid that the double glass doors and windows in the other rooms are going to blow out. He claims they got no evacuation notices. So he is trying to keep the family safe right now and make plans in the event they have to leave after the storm finishes. I am so afraid for them. So much for the weather service saying it was going to hit land in Tampa. I am so afraid for their safety.
    Cazzie

(((Cazzie))) I will say a prayer for them!
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    This is one reason why I never took my sister's advice and moved to "paradise." I have two sisters & a flock of nieces & nephews along the coast just north of Tampa. Couldn't get through to them today which is a good thing I guess, since it might mean they've moved inland.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, I don't think there was much notice for where it landed. It wasn't expected to land there. Now the big trouble is for those inland. I live in Polk County, and it's headed right for us. Looks like they are saying it's a catagory 4 now, should be a 3 when it hits here, and then a 2 by the time it gets to Orlando, and then a 1 by Jacksonville I think. Not sure about all of the details since they seem to change and different info comes in.

The inland areas are actually the ones in trouble now. I think they said around 300,000 people came to seek shelter in Polk County, and now it's coming right this way. There was a shelter down southward that has 1200 people it in and it tore the roof off of it.

I'm not trying to scare anyone with family here, I've just never been through one of these before. In about an hour or two there is supposed to be winds possibly around 100 miles an hour here I think.

It's just so eirie... the rain is starting and the tops of the trees are starting to sway.

It's kind of pretty out now, but that will probably soon change. I just pray that it slows down and everyone is safe... and the quicker it's done the better. At least the closer it gets to here, the less it is impacting those southward.

Thanks for the replies and prayers. It's nice to be able to vent and get replies so quickly since this is a frightening thing.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh my word... just heard that a hospital in Cape Coral got demolished. Roof and doors gone, not sure about the walls (I think the walls might still be up).

ABW Ambassador
    Praise Be! My family members are OK. What a relief! BPal I will say a prayer for you and your family.
    The house sustained damage to the linai and the pool screen house, missing shingles and a few broken windows. They have no power my brother tells me poles are down on all the streets. The Cape Coral Hospital had the roof blown off and had to evacuate people. They say 350,000 people
    arr without electric. Wonder how long it will take them to restore all that.
    Hope everyones families were as lucky as mine was. Thanks to all for the payers
    Cazzie

ABW Ambassador
    Good to hear that your family is safe!!! Also, it's starting to pick up here, but it's been downgraded to about a catagory 2 I think, which is better news.

So the hospital in Cape Coral does still have the walls up? Good if so. I didn't know exactly what happened with that.

Glad to hear your family is OK Cazzie.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cazzie:
    So much for the weather service saying it was going to hit land in Tampa. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So it's their fault?

Hurricanes can be very unpredictable especially when transitioning from sea to land.

Earlier predictions (when it was a tropical storm and still way south of Jamaica) showed it landing in the USA anywhere from Florida to Louisiana.

Considering they forecast it landing at St Petersburg as early as their 11am Wednesday prediction, I don't think they did too bad, especially considering it was still south of Jamaica when they did.

Oh dear.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    It's pretty much done here for the most part. It had slowed down to around a catagory 1, and seems to be moving through. Things weren't too bad here I don't think. Thank God, it could have been much worse here. I know some other places weren't as fortunate.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, my sister just north of Tampa is relieved that only a little rain reached her town. She had a choice of staying with her younger daughter in town who boarded up her house with hurricane shutters and stocked up with a month's supply of SpaghettiOs or heading north to her other daughter whose plan was to close the windows, grill some steaks and open a bottle of wine. She wisely headed north. The younger daughter now has a few days of removing the bomb-proofing she liberally applied to her house. And of course, eat all those Spaghetti-Os.

Hope the inland people fare as well.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Better to be safe I guess. From how it sounded, it was headed straight for Tampa. Besides, I'm almost 27 years old and still love the taste of Spaghetti O's.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread