This is a true story, it happen to me few hours ago and I would like to share it with the ABW audience. The joke was on me.

I found this site on Google turnofftheinternet.com and they have a nice black screen with a big red push button in the center.

After I read the source code and see that they have this JavaScript function (fullScreen) (fullscreen=yes, width="110%", height="100%", menubar=no, toolbar=no, scrollbars=no, resizable=no) I decided to press the red button to see what happen ..........

Well........

As soon as I pressed that red button, it went to this page turnofftheinternet.com/shutdown.html and then the entire screen went black with this orange message in the middle that say You have now safely shutdown the Internet.

Holy crap, I almost get a heart attack I thought that I had messed up my computer, I didn't know what to do next in order to get my windows back, I pressed all the F-keys and nothing happen, there I was looking at a black screen just like the one we get when we shut down the computer, but this time it said You have now safely shutdown the Internet. and while I was cursing and thinking for about five minutes what to do next, I don't see or hear that anything was going on with the hard-drive, so I finally decided to press Alt-Control-Delete to restart but, then I saw the option to close program and there it was.......... An Untitled I.E. page.

As soon as I press End task to that page, that page close and everything that I working on before I pressed that red button was there, there was no damage done to anything, well maybe I burned a few brain cell's on my head because of the scare I receive.

Before I decided to post this story, I went back to that site and pressed that red button again, I just wanted to make sure that I can close that page again easily and no harm was done to my computer.

Here is the link to that site: http://www.turnofftheinternet.com/
    You can go there and see the red button, but Don't Press The Red Button unless you're brave enough. IF YOU DO PRESS THE RED BUTTON the only way back is to close that page with Alt-Control-Delete and End task of the Untitled Page there.

Sal.

GREAT thanks for a link that stopped your heart?

I will pass on the page thank you, I really did enjoy your telling of your horrible heart stopping moment.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    GREAT thanks for a link that stopped your heart?

I will pass on the page thank you, I really did enjoy your telling of your horrible heart stopping moment. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I wonder how many of googles showed up for work, or if so, sober?If I got a million, I might clean out the irsh beer,stout store,the best I could handle was 16 pints, when, on our last trip to the Emarald Isle, relatives were coming out of the walls, I had a week to recover from our 2 week vacation there, but Ireland was in my gut for 3 weeks,when I woke up,the next morning, there were people laying all over the place, our kids thought it was great, but they din't have to drive to the airport, in a big car, with the steering wheel on the wrong side, I think I was going about 2 miles an hour.What a trip.
    JJ

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    See what you've done SandraR, you get to hear everyone's heart stopping moments now!

@ Sal -- The "shutdown" is just a fullscreen popup... Alt+F4 works.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

5. Thanks From:

Thanks a lot Leader.

As soon as saw your reply, I went back to that site and did the Alt+F4, it sure worked faster than the other way with the Alt-Control-Delete and End task.

I knew it was a way to close it with the F-keys but, at that moment I forgot the Alt one.

Well I least I went back and don't chicken out like SandraR did, I took it like they say " when you fell from a horse, you must get right back on it"

Thanks again for remind me about the Alt+F4 combo.

Sal.

Before you shut it down, download it. You can make big money with PPC : http://www.xs4all.nl/~neteagle/oops/...einternet.html

ABW Ambassador
    The popup blocker on my Google toolbar stopped it in it's tracks

Reminds me of a site I saw years ago. When it loaded, you started getting all kinds of Windows warnings popping up.

Things like:

Your hard drive is now being erased...

Please wait for disc wiping operation to complete...

Sent E-mail folder now being mailed to everyone in your address book...

And a lot of other really nasty things. Sometimes the windows popped up so fast you couldn't read them, but you knew something bad was happening.

Nothing was really going on, it was all programmed into the page, and I believe the host finally shut the site down due to complaints, but talk about a heart-stopping moment!

Andy

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread