Along a similar theme to some recent posts. I'm cutting down on the day job and hope to have given it up and to have stabilized / consolidated my online earnings in the not-too distant future.

This means that I can potentially live almost anywhere in the world. My medium term goal is to up sticks and live somewhere really great. Except I've never given much thought to it before, beyond visiting places on a vacation or for some other purpose. Finding a place to live needs a whole different set of requirements and priorities.

Where would you like to live in the world and why? The only requirements are steady power, broadband access and easily obtained computer supplies

Cambridgeshire is nice

Further afield, places like Prague and Budapest are still affordable compared to UK prices, although what broadband prices are like I don't know.

In the UK, you've got beatiful places like the Yorkshire Dales, Wales, the Peak District. Quite a lot of broadband getting in there. Anyway, you can always get your computer supplies mail order
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I always find it interesting ... the fact that most people are so busy working to pay the next bill... that they dont ever give thought to doing anything or living anywhere other then what they are doing...

in other words... no DREAMS....

this really is to bad... with out dreams what is there???

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Long ago I used to dream about where I would live if I could live anywhere in the world.

I couldn't think of anyplace I'd rather live than coastal southern California, which happened to be where I already lived, because I happened to be born here.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I've struggled with "where should I live" in the past. We think we'd like to move somewhere warmer and more exciting but we have 4 children and don't want to leave too far from the grandparents. The funny part is the grandparents say the same exact thing. I guess we all have to coordinate the moves lol. I do love Wisconsin but I don't like the long cold winters. I think I'd be a happy snowbird spending my summers here and going south for the winter.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I'm very boring. If I could go anywhere I'd go back to Connecticut which is where I grew up.

But if I was an adventurous person I'd move to New Zealand. The temps rarely go below 60 or above 80 (North Island), and both the ocean and mountains are handy no matter where you live. If you need convincing that NZ has some of the most spectacular scenery in the world just watch the LOTR movies.

The great state of Kentucky is the best place on earth!

Lexington is nice.

Clean, good, honest people. Beautiful horse farms. Beautiful mountains. Four seasons with long extended springs and falls. Long growing season for the garden.

Bible belt but great religious diversity.

Solidly American but nice population of good, decent, friendly Mexican nationals.

Lots of universities but low educational level, over all. However, who needs it? Everyone who wants a job seems to have one. Nice housing for the most part. Nice cars. So, the jobs must pay enough to do OK here.

People seem to have pride and self-respect for the most part.

A good place for good people. Others need not come. They won't fit in.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Wait a week.. then move to Florida..

chance of more hurricanes... like 40 50 years...

Might need some sun screen if you're headed over from the cloudy part of the UK..

They don't call it the sunshine state for nothing..

Getting There Is Half The Fun! Staying There Is Half The Battle!

If you’ve got the means to do so, travel a bit with your laptop tucked under your arm and see what takes your fancy and ultimately where you might like to settle. If you try Asia, you can live really cheaply. I’m a Brit, I’ve been in Bali for nine years and have always managed to make a living (read that as, “sometimes scrape by”) in one form or another as opportunities are always presenting themselves here. I have recently turned to AM as I would like to move about a bit, to other parts of the world, and I think that I will be able to do so once I am earning enough of an income from it.

Disadvantages of where I am:
    · Extortionate charges of about $360 per month for 128kpbs *broadband*. But other dialup access is available more cheaply. This has affected how I’ve gone about my approach to AM and the types of sites I am working on. For example, I am sticking to making small sites that can be uploaded reasonably quickly for the moment.
    · The occasional power cut, more so in the wet season. A UPS comes in handy at home, though outages are usually short. A voltage stabilizer is essential.
    · The wet season, from October – March. Rains almost every day, but you get used to it.
    · Crazy drivers (Most people are horrified at first, then amused, and then just as crazy themselves after a couple of months)

Advantages of where I am:
    · Cheap rent. $2800 per year for a 4 bedroom house, including water, electric, gardener.
    · Cheap Car Rental. $200 per month. Motorbike, $100
    · Cheap fuel. $0.20 per litre.
    · Cheap restaurants. Average night out at local restaurant, approx $6. That’s $1.50 for the pizza or fried rice, and the rest for the essentials. i.e. Beer.
    · Some beautiful beaches and scenery.
    · Cheap clothing.
    · Computer bits and bobs available. Just a couple of years ago there were only a couple stores here selling computer stuff, but now there are many.
    · A large expat community. Plenty of opportunities for networking.
    · Hot, sometimes very hot, weather year round.
    · Loads of internet cafes, some with very fast connections.
    · A housekeeper to tidy up after me.

The internet and AM truly provides the opportunity for people to bring down the borders, and I think it is a shame that not more of them take advantage of the opportunity to take it to its full potential, and really live their dreams. I mean, in this business it really doesn’t matter where you are located, it can be any little corner of the world so long as you have power and an internet connection. I know there are those that have no desire to move away, or due to other circumstances can’t do so, but for those that are like Paul and are thinking about it, I say, GO FOR IT!

ABW Ambassador
    I wish i was doing this when i was single Then i would be traveling all over the place.

What Baliman said...If you have the means to travel, do that first. Only you can find a place that makes you happy.

I'm traveling now myself. It is a blast!
    Travelin' Man

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will lead you there." -- unknown

Thanks for the replies everyone it's made fascinating reading, but I'm still no further decided - in fact the possibilities have been opened up even more.

Wish this had come along when I was single too, or when the kids were pre-school, but now, the youngest (12 years old) is settled in his secondary school and I don't want to move him on a whim or just an idea of what might be OK.

The best idea I had was in County Cork, a place called Skibereen, but on reflection the main thing I liked is the name - not the best criteria to make a choice on probably! I guess it's a case of vacation travels in the next couple of years with an eye to moving, going on a "date" with places.

This is really exciting as I've never been in a position where I can really choose anywhere (almost) to go and the job goes too, sort of the choice of retirement without being retired.

Bali sounds great Baliman - not for me I don't think, I lived in Mombasa for a year but wouldn't want that sort of lifestyle all the time.

Interesting too to read the number of people who like the places best where they born. Language, culture and familiarity do have big attractions.

I imagine I may settle on somewhere European, but with a better climate - it's pretty easy to get most places from Europe. The USA sounds tempting but I've never been and it would be a bit of a jump into the unknown. Having said that I've always liked South America since I went on a short tour ages ago, then there's Northern Queensland - oh, yes someone said New Zealand too...

It's not that I don't have a dream, just a (rather luxurious) problem of turning one of many dreams in the most acceptable reality.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I'm with BaliMan. South East Asia is the place to move to. Thailand, Singapore (tad expensive), Malaysia or Indonesia are all excellent. Broadband is certainly here in Thailand and Singapore for low costs now.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    I'd take a guess to say that it looks like New Orleans would be out of the question.

Don't move to British Columbia, vast open area's, mosquitoes and bears the size of a Volkswagon.

We are getting vastly overcrowded here almost 4.3 people per sq KM and most are in Vancouver.

<b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

ABW Ambassador
    Don't move to the Adirondacks, either. Only two seasons, Winter and the 4th of July, lakes poisoned by acid rain, temps between 25 & 40 below for weeks on end, an ice storm that damaged 3 million acres of forest, and when it thaws out it brings blackflies that draw blood by the bucketful.

I often wonder why I packed up everything and moved here. Funny, I seldom think about leaving though.

Wayne

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread