Hello,

I am very new to all this, all the information is overwhelming and mind saturating. I would like to know how many datafeeds can or should be realistically incorporate in one web site? and what are the rules?

It was a nightmare to cut and paste hundreds of merchant links on my website and I was about to give up, then I decided to look into datadfeeds. I do realize that I am no programmer, so there will be a huge learning curve.

I will appreciate any suggestion on how to take the first step.

Thank you,

kky2k

As a first step I would start with one datafeed.
    How do you plan to use the feed ? Build pages on your local machine and them upload them ?

The key to datafeeds is to remember that there could be a lot of other peole using the same feed. You need to try to make your site unique so it isn't just duplicate content with existing sites.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the upper limit is on how many feeds to put on one site. I know that "all of them" was too many for the Googlebot--it hasn't picked up all the info yet, even though the site with all of them has been up for months now--but on other sites I have quite a few datafed sections indexed with no problem. Just where the cutoff is; ie, exactly when Google will throw up its virtual hands and say "IT'S TOO MUCH, I'm outta here!" I don't know.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

same here Leader...
    you have to experiment though
    but looks like Google is happier with single-feed sites, say <10k pages
    just my experience

What Leader said.

Really though, maybe it could be # of pages per site? I had the same experience as Leader, Google comes by and picks a few pages off.

By the same token, it has been to other sites with other feeds. I'm spreading them out.

Fred
    _________

You might just be a redneck if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

Thank you all of you!
    I will start with one and see how it goes. I guess a lot of disk spcae may be needed for multiple datafeeds.

kky2k

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I guess a lot of disk spcae may be needed for multiple datafeeds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've got 40 domains on the server and they're using about 5 GB combined. (Not all are active domains. That's also more domains than I realized I had--gotta watch that registration-mania!)

By the time there's a lot of sites running, bandwidth starts to add up too--almost 17 GBs and that's with sites that have few/no pictures on them (at least not pix that are on my server--most of my sites' graphics come from the merchant's side.) Fortunately plenty of BW comes with the server package, though, so I have lots of room to spare there.

But for one or two feeds bandwidth shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't think. If it is, that means you've got great ranks (lots of traffic) so buying more bandwidth would then be quite affordable, provided your web host doesn't try to charge a ridiculous arm & leg for it, anyway... (if they do overcharge, can 'em!)

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Don't worry about disc space. If your host is such a cheapo that they wont give you a 40 or even 80 GB drive tell em to shove it up their ***. It's a whopping 70 dollar investment.

One last question:
    I am getting some help from a friend in converting data feed into web pages. I would like to know the most ideal merchant to start with. I assume that no two data feed follow the same structure, therefore they cannot be combind into one giant database, right?

kky2k

If you want to start out small and easy, get a product csv from a ShareASale merchant you are affiliated with..

From the ShareASale interface, select "Get Links/Banners/Referral URLs", then select" Get Links" with the merchant who has product links and you want the feed from, then "click here to view their product links", and finally, "Download in .CSV Format"

Or, get a "top 10" feed from Mondera.. Or or or..

Good luck

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

In regards to disk space and ease of updates server side includes are your friend.

Use server side includes for items that are on your pages like the header footer and the navigation. I like to expose the title and meta tags on each page so they can be unique and reinforce the content of the page. Not only does the save a ton of disk space but it makes site wide changes a snap.

Some people feel that .html pages rank better in the search engines that .shtml. If your one of those people you can easily make yur server treat .html pages as .shtml.

The amount of pages google will spider and the frequency seems to be related to the pagerank of the site.

Personally I try to keep the page count below 5000 per site. That is just a gut number with no data to support it.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread