ABW Ambassador
    Well over the last week all my traffic from MSN and Yahoo has stopped, gone down to zero, zip, nada, nothing on my main site, and that puts me down from about 2k/month to $500 more or less. (google has never liked me, and MSN/Yahoo were my main traffic sources)

Knowing this could happen to any of us anytime (thats something I've learned from Jada) I put aside some money to pay my clases, but it's only gonna be enough for about 5 months.

Gonna have to work my ass off on some new sites cuz there is no way I'm gonna go back to my old job as a waiter

Just wanted to post this as a reminder to everyone: Letting the SEs decide how much money we're gonna make is a very dangerous game!!

Javi

PS. THANK GOD I decided to wait before buying that car I was looking at last month, THANK GOD

Starting to feel a bit that way, myself. I can hold out for a couple of months but after that I will have to seek supplemental income to stay on the safe side. You can bet I will be fighting back with a lot of site rebuilds and new sites over the next couple of months.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    I feel for you and know EXACTLY what your going through. But DO NOT GIVE UP!!! Think of another plan and make it work.

I never did regain my income that I lost nearly 2 years ago. It was 6 months after I built and moved into my big ass house with the HUGE mortgage payment that affiliate marketing built. I thought I was going to just DIE. As I watched my income dwindle from a hefty $17,000 a MONTH to a mere $4,000 overnight, I actually took a temp job for a minute and then I said - SCREW THAT - I'm not working for anyone again and walked out on the assignment. So I came up with another plan QUICK - Ebay to the rescue!! And THANK GOD - he blessed me all over again cause it took off and now I'm making more than I was with affiliate marketing and it's safe and no one can take it away from me. Now 2 years later - my affiliate marketing income averages a little under $2,000 a month. But Ebay is my main business now and is very profitable. The only thing that I don't like is that I no longer can sit back and do nothing to make money. Now I work HARD for my money - putting in at least 40 hours per week. But it pays well and I'd never complain. So DO NOT GIVE UP or GIVE IN. Keep ya head up and know that God never closes a door without opening up a window. Something will come and you may not understand it now - but you'll understand it later why things happen the way they do.

Jada I am glad are OK because we all worried about you.

I just took a good look at the numbers and if the rest of the month is the same as the first third, I will be fine. I just got used to the extra.

I still haven't applied for my retirement. I guess, since I can, I should. That would take some pressure off. But, I have been holding off on that.

I just don't understand why the sales have stopped.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Hey Jada

One of the first posts I read when I joined ABW was the one where you said what happened with the Yahoo directory switch, and thanx to that, I've saved some money for school instead of buying a car and that kind of stuff.

I won't give up, there is no way I'm gonna find anything as fun and well paid as this, just have to work hard for a few months, and try to diversify my income some more.

I'm sure I'll learn something from this.

It's tough to not have that extra money huh Sandra? I fear there will be some sacrafices to be made in the following months...

Javi

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Just wanted to post this as a reminder to everyone: Letting the SEs decide how much money we're gonna make is a very dangerous game!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should be an interesting Christmas shopping season. Will the engines be good to us?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm glad you saved Javi - that was a very smart move. Me - I was so caught up in making all the money and never thought it would stop - that I saved alright - but every penny I was saving was for a down payment on the house that I built - I put $60K down on it - had saved it in 6 months. But it all worked out - thank goodness. I feel as long as your motivated - you'll go places and you seem to have alot of motivation to succeed and I know you will.

Ssanf - your still hanging in there I'm glad to hear. What is going on with the SEs. I don't really follow it to much anymore. I don't even check stats on most of my accounts. But I have noticed that - after nearly two years - my commission checks have almost doubled these last couple months - which is good. So somthing must be going on with the SEs. Good for some but bad for others I suppose. Hope you can get back on top and soon. But come up with a plan b. I always said I would never ever rely on affiliate marketing solely again.

ABW Ambassador
    I seem to have gotten the boot from Yahoo about 3 months after my husband. I'm glad we never took the affiliate income for granted. Husband still has his same day job. We know the money can disappear overnight. I guess it's good to have our eggs in many baskets, which helps limit the downside risk.

Ssanf..the longer you hold out for that retirement money, the better since you know you get paid more per month the older you when you being disbursements. Hope you can hold out.

On another note, I did notice my traffic really start to pick up (even without yahoo), so I'm guessing it's the holiday season approaching.

A note to folks out there who may have seen their income decrease significantly in recent months; don't forget that you still have to pay the taxman on all that money you made prior to your income going down and spread out of the year it might still be a lot to owe, so start saving if you can. I'd hate to read any posts in April about people spending so much of their affiliate income that they can't pay their taxes.

Robin

ABW Ambassador
    "Letting the SEs decide how much money we're gonna make is a very dangerous game!!"

Exactly. When first starting out you'll most likely be dependent on them but not good to be totally reliant on them long term. A lot of affiliates can roll with the punches but learning how to do PPC successfully is a good skill to have then maybe working your site so one day you won't be dependent on them. I learned how to get the free traffic first, then how to do PPC and next year the focus will be on getting traffic via offline means.

Actually, it is not just that the number of sales have decreased. The amount people spend per sale has decreased.

ABW Ambassador
    It is also a good example of why you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. I am definetly a fan of the more sites the better. Domain names are as low as $5 a year, why not?

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Jada,

It is wonderful to hear from you.

I'm going through a tough patch now. My sites took a major hit in the search engines and traffic and sales are a fraction of what it used to be.

I read an old post of yours before your long silence and have since been careful to save when times are good, so I can roll with the punches with savings to tide me through bad times.

Your post is inspiring. Wish you would drop by more often.

Yahoo! seem to operate a blacklisting system where they target one particular domain name and drop it from the SERPs altogether.

For example, I have a site (let's call it purplewidgets.co.uk) that does well in Google and I had been promoting it through Inktomi. When Yahoo switched results from Inktomi I found that the site was penalised (because I had paid for inclusion before, presumably they wanted to screw more money out of me).

It was easy to see that I'd been penalised in a couple of ways - firstly if I typed in my domain name into Yahoo! it was nowhere to be seen, sure I had sites that *mentioned* my site, but my site wasn't listed. The other odd thing was that Yahoo was generating traffic to purplewidgets.com which was an alias to the site, despite the fact that I have never promoted my site under the .com name, just .co.uk. What was odd was that for certain target search terms I was #1 for the .com (and nowhere for the .co.uk).

So.. what did I do? Well, I took an old expired domain name and created another alias (call it widgets-uk.com). All of a sudden, widgets-uk.com is doing well in the Yahoo SERPs and I've gotten a noticeable traffic boost.

So, it seems that Yahoo is easy to fool. Just alias another domain to your existing site and add as many backlinks as you can. That way you get to keep your existing work without having to restart from scratch.

And this is another good reason to make sure you have the .net, .org, .biz etc variants of your site.

No guarantees that this will work, of couse, but it's a fairly easy thing to try.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Javi:
    Well over the last week all my traffic from MSN and Yahoo has stopped, gone down to zero, zip, nada, nothing on my main site, and that puts me down from about 2k/month to $500 more or less. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What kind of sites? Content or Catalog?
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

Yahoo definately seems to be following in Googles footsteps. They used Google so long, why wouldn't they copy it? Like I said you guys really need to start promoting Teoma.com while you still have traffic. If you can make a living off promoting products, promoting a search engine should be easy. Beats the heck out of sitting there

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ebay to the rescue!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    JadaKiss

I know next to nothing about ebay, do you buy stuff low and sell high? Garage sales??

Sorry for the ignorance but curiosity has me. My wife is a bit of an ebay junky but she only browses.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Javi,
    I feel for you. Yahoo is picking on me also. I think it was right about the same time as they dropped your site they also dropped one of my money makers and hit a few of my other money makers pretty good. I lost quite a few #1 and 2 listings in Yahoo in the last week. All I can say is wait it out and see if they make more changes to get us back in. Google is starting to give me some listings again after probably close to a year of not getting much from them. MSN so far (knock on wood) has been nice to me. Hang in there Javi, things will be back hoopefully sooner than later
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaPackster:
    Javi,
    I feel for you. Yahoo is picking on me also. I think it was right about the same time as they dropped your site they also dropped one of my money makers and hit a few of my other money makers pretty good. I lost quite a few #1 and 2 listings in Yahoo in the last week. All I can say is wait it out and see if they make more

changes to get us back in. Google is starting to give me some listings again after probably close to a year of not getting much from them. MSN so far (knock on wood) has been nice to me. Hang in there Javi, things will be back hoopefully sooner than later <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I Get messages from ask jeeves, they claim MSN and others have teamed up to divert traffic to msn, as if they don't make enough already,I have no way to verify this, bit that's what ask jeeves sent.With the economy,and poor job situation, it should be a
    buyer's market, don't work for me, I earned
    zilch.That's my nickles worth, not much help.

JJ

ABW Ambassador
    We have a bunch of different sites and some have no affiliate stuff on them whatsoever. What we did notice however, is that any of our sites that had any kind of datafeed got completely dumped from yahoo, whereas the other pages weren't touched at all.

Maybe the same happened to some of you as well.

DO you think it may be a duplicate content filter being triggered?
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

Well, Javi, at least you know what consistent success is. I've only had a couple of months were my income went up to four figures. But month by month, try as I may I only make from $400.00 to $600.00 a month. I'm starting to think I will never make it above that. I'm the queen of mediocrity

And working a regular job is not even an option for me.

I keep trying, but I don't know what else to do....

JJ, I'm not sure what MSN is up to but they are paying the bills for now anyways BTW - What is their spiders name? They don't seem to pick up new pages in my index's for some reason

Rem, no data feeds for me. I'm clueless when it comes to programming

Dave, I think all the engines try to do away with duplicate sites but in my situation that isn't the case.

Netsu, sooner or later it will click for you and you will be in the 4 -5 digits for a long run Like some of the others here. I realize the way I depend on the SE's this could disappear at anytime. I was fortunate enough to be able to bank a years worth of income in case that happens. In the mean time I'm also looking for other ways to get traffic outside the internet world just in case.
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

It's good and well to rely on SE's but if people don't know you are there - it's pure chance with SE's.

Maybe look at theold conventional ways of getting your site name out there and Recognisable...

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread