View Poll Results: Would You Quit Your Day Job?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would quit my day job if I didn't have family obligations, especially medical concerns.

5 21.74%
  • I quit my day job, regardless of family concerns.

6 26.09%
  • I would never quit my day job since I have great family/other obligations.

1 4.35%
  • I quit my day job. I only have to worry about my own financial concerns.

6 26.09%
  • I would never quit my day job regardless of how much I could make online.

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Would you quit your day job or have you quit your day job? Pick the response that best applies to you.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I quit my dayjob before and found the isolation at home was not good for me.

Now, I have a day job but have the benefit of picking one that I like regardless of what it pays and not taking a high paying job that I hate.

ABW Ambassador
    I quit my day job because I have family obligations.

It's all a matter of perspective I guess. It's hard to "think outside of the box" when you are trapped inside of it.

What's a day job?
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

I won't quit my day job because I have no family and I need the insurance. However I suspect that one day, my day job will quit me. Then I will stay home and probably wonder why I didn't quit years ago.

ABW Ambassador
    You don't need a job to get health insurance.

Just as people stay with abusive spouses because they THINK they must depend upon them for survival, the machine keeps the hamsters on the treadmill with the dangled carrot of health insurance.

Just do a search for "health insurance for self employed" on any SE. Fill out a few quote forms. After few meetings with reps within a week or so, and another week to decide which one to sign with, you can be card-in-pocket covered by the first of next month.

ABW Ambassador
    Quit the Day Sob - I mean Job 2 1/2 years ago and God willing - will NEVER, EVER, EVER go back. It is a little isolating working from home with no co-workers but the benefits of sleeping in, taking off when I want, shopping at the mall at 11 a.m., far seem to make up for it all.

ABW Ambassador
    This is my day job

I left my job (evening job)2 years ago due to mandatory 2nd shifts when my relief worker wouldn't come in. Since that put my kids in danger at home when I couldn't get someone at such notice to watch my kids I had to quit.

One day I made a personal website just for fun........and now hundreds of sites later and the bonus of a nice monthly income......I'm glad I'm at home making sites.

I was in a position to quit my day job but kept it because I liked it along with the extra money. Later I was fired from my job because they figured I didn't need the job I guess. I don't have any problems working for someone else. I do like the structure and opportunities that you don't get working for yourself.

ABW Ambassador
    I quit my day job. I only have to worry about my own financial concerns.

I started this thinking it would be some nice side money with the real job that i had. Decided to quit my job while only making $200 month at this to try and do this full time. I figured i was young, had no kids, car was paid for, $0 debt etc so it was a risk but not that big of one. It paid off. Once you get a litte taste of freedom there is no going back, at least for me.

ABW Ambassador
    My "day" job is a stay at home mom of 4 young kids. Sometimes I wish I could quit that job. The income generated from my website has been nice side income for sitters and such.

I'll speak for my husband too..he can't quit his day job period. Yes, we can get our own health insurance, but when you add up all the other benefits (vacation, sick days, pension, etc) no way can affiliate marketing make up for that loss of income.

I guess for some people it depends on the type of job they have as to whether or not it's worth the risk of giving it up for a possible more lucrative job with affiliate marketing.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I quit my day j*b. I only have my own financial concerns to worry about.

As soon as I figured there was enough money to be made with affiliate marketing, that did it, I was GONE even though I hadn't even gotten my first check yet! Sure it was bumpy at first, kind of like learning to dive by jumping from the Olympic-height high-dive board. But I didn't break my neck on the bottom of the pool after all, so all was well.

As for the health insurance, I finally got some. It's a definite upgrade over what empl*yment offered me, which was NONE! And I can take days off any time I want and the money keeps coming, at least as long as there don't get to be *toooo* many cobwebs on the non-game computer icons.

No problems with social isolation here. I can do without being irritated by coworker jerks and I can certainly do without being stuck in the same building with them with nowhere to go to get away!! Aaagh!!!

If I get really lonely for face-to-face contact there's always clubs to join. But a (horrors) JOB??? Uh-uh.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I quit my job a year ago to this date.

I won't quit my day job because it's actually fun. Frustrating at times, but it pays for all kinds of travel (mmmm, business class, comfy), and I just keep learning new things about how international business works.

If the day ever comes that I'm forced to look for a NEW job I'll consider chucking it all for AM, but for now I've got the best of both worlds: Steady job that pays the bills and provides personall growth, and AM income that pays for luxuries like cars and vacations and gifts.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> when you add up all the other benefits (vacation, sick days, pension, etc) no way can affiliate marketing make up for that loss of income. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get out of the box! This is what the machine wants you to believe.

The TRUTH is this: a job RESTRICTS your income, RESTRICTS your time, RESTRICTS RESTRICTS RESTRICTS. A job will not allow you to spend ALL DAY, EVERY DAY with your kids on summer vacation. Most jobs will not allow you to buy a car without having to finance it. A job will not allow you relax and enjoy life WHEN YOU NEED TO, sick or not. A job will not allow you to BE HUMAN.

It's better to worry about getting around to cashing your checks before they expire than it is to worry about whether payday will be a day later after a holiday.

ANd last but not least, there is NOTHING more IRRITATING than being jarred from a peaceful sleep by an alarm clock. The most infernal device ever invented, hands down.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    In the end, no one will take better care of you than you. As long as you are working for someone else, your destiny will always be subject to their personal need or whim.

Working hard for someone else makes someone else wealthy.

I'm making the leap, at last, to working from home, should be there in a couple of weeks. I found out the hard way that the first two paragraphs are true: Over the years, I've made someone else a LOT of money.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

ABW Ambassador
    If only it were so easy. My husband works in a very specialized field. How do I explain this? He already makes 6 figures a year in affiliate marketing and would have to at least match that to make up for the loss of income and benefits he makes in his day job. If he were a teacher or an accountant (no offense, I was one of those too), then I'd tell him to go for it and quit, but his job is too lucrative to do that.

I hope that makes some sort of sense.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Working hard for someone else makes someone else wealthy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The bottom line is that in order to be kept on the payroll, you must be producing more than what is paid to you. Why not produce it for yourself? Go private!

http and a telephoto
    As pointed out, *some* day jobs are fun and challenging and give people a needed way to interact with others. I have always had other ways to interact with groups of people, via volunteer activities and hobbies (cat showing).

For me working from home has always been necessary, whether I could or not. Family circumstances have cost me, directly or indirectly, more than one day job, so I finally gave up. And about a year ago, even though I have always had affiliate links up, things started to get my attention and I started hanging out here at ABW.

I was already at home, I was looking for a job and not having any success, the one guy that *did* hire me went bankrupt 2 weeks later! LOL. So now I just do this and my Cafe Press galleries with my photos and art on stuff. And it all seems to be working. Not at the $10,000 a month level yet, but I can see it as possible!!!

I didn't know that was possible a year ago, I thought it was just all people exaggerating.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I never had a day job, Started Affiliate Marketing 6 years ago, as a hobby along with school, Never really made enough money for a long time - untill 2 years ago, when I had to quit college to cope up with the kind of work i was doing at the affiliate marketing front

oh, by the way, I made my father quit his day job so that he can help me with affiliate marketing .

Although, I would like to do a day job in the future, but that would only be of a huge internet company of which I own atleast 60% of the shares, and I would work only on weekends, and attend meetings, and maybe sign documents that really really require my signature ... oh well, I'm dreaming again.

I remember, a few years back, leader suggested me that I take up a day job to learn how real retailing is done, and to learn business ethics, but I guess affiliate marketing has been more than enough to teach me all that.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I remember, a few years back, leader suggested me that I take up a day job to learn how real retailing is done, and to learn business ethics, but I guess affiliate marketing has been more than enough to teach me all that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You seem to have grown up a lot since then...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I started working in online marketing full-time in late '96. There were a lot of years with failed start-ups that couldn't make payroll and so on before I started making good money, but ever nervous about the bottom falling out of yet another dot com, I did freelance work and affiliate marketing on the side.

I was finally making good money at my job, had benefits, pretty much picked my hours, had the opportunity to work from home (they even offered to pay for my T1), but freelance work had started paying better than the job, and dealing with them was becoming more and more of a pain, so I quit.

More and more of my time is going into affiliate marketing, and my hope is to quit freelance as well. My wife quit her job about a year before I quit mine, so I guess I have a co-worker.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

I would never quit my day job. I teach Martial Arts for a living and have a really flexible schedule. I stay home during the day with my younger children 4 & 2 and teach in the afternoon and evening.

I have been involved in AM for a little over 6 months and have really enjoyed it.

Hopefully one day I will be able to have a larger school and more time off because of this business.

Spider Man

I went from 5 days a week to 4 days a week from a couple of weeks ago and the 3-day weekend is wonderful. I still work on my sites of course and Monday is the day I put in the longest hours of the week, but I love AM so it's not proper work.

I wish I'd gone to 3 days a week instead of 4.

I'm a teacher and I like the totally different atmosphere and tasks of kids, the classroom and having work colleagues. I think doing it this way makes me better at the day job too as I'm not so frazzled at the end of a week, I suddenly feel totally unburdened of the petty politics and mind-sets of those for whom the job is "it".

Like another poster, I don't think I'd want to not have another job as I'd get too isolated doing this full time. I might start to think about a different job though that is less stress and more enjoyable as recreational interlude to AM!

I remember many years ago thinking I'd like to write a column for Punch (now defunct) one day a week and for the other 4 days, spend 2 each teaching and working as a gardener. That was before the net was invented, now I'm working on what I could do instead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast