Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Since we had a best pizza thread and since it's the 4th of July i figure i would start a best hot dog thread, will be having some later when we go to watch fireworks

Was reading this article and it was getting me hungry:
    http://slate.msn.com/id/2103300/?GT1=4244

So what do you think is the best?

ABW Ambassador
    Well, if you're in Boston, you've got your choice of steamed (Joe & Nemo's) or grilled (Sullivan's on Castle Island in South Boston). You'd be hard pressed to find any better anywhere (no matter what those Coney Islanders say).

Happy 4th all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    So what do you think is the best? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Some joint near Union NJ, I don't know the name, nor the address, but I know how to get there

ABW Ambassador
    There is one place in Orlando that has some of the best hot dogs i've ever had but now i live in the middle of nowhere so i have to settle for what's available at the grocery store. A former roommate always bought Hebrew National and those were great. Right now i got bun length Ball Park turkey, pork, beef. Thinking of grabbing some Nathan's and Hebrew National next time i go grocery shopping and try them out.

I used to live in the Orlando area and there was a great hot dog place on Hwy 50 East. Hotdog Heaven I think?? Is that the one you are talking about?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

My husband loves the franks at "Papaya King in mid-manhattan, newyork.

My favorite are Nathan's baked in the oven covered in foil for 20minutes. Then baked uncovered for an additional 8 to 10 minutes. They're crispy and delicious!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I won't eat food with artificial ingredients in it, and health food store hot dogs aren't terrific. Some years ago there was a company in Greenwich, CT that raised organic beef and they made the most delicious hot dogs I've ever tasted. Unfortunately they folded. I haven't had such a good hot dog since then, although I've looked!

The big controversy in our house is whether hot dogs should be cooked in a pan or boiled! (I vote for boiled.) With sauerkraut and mustard! Yum! I don't like relish on a hot dog, and ketchup is heretical.

ABW Ambassador
    That's it Zimmy. Hwy 50 East. otherwise known as Colonial. I lived out there and went to school at UCF, great hot dogs

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Well the skinny Japanese wolf down NY City hotdogs better then any 400 lb American obese hotdog freaks....

NEW YORK -- When it comes to eating hot dogs, "The Tsunami" still blows everybody away. For the fourth straight year, rail-thin Takeru Kobayashi chewed up the competition at the Nathan's Famous hot dog eating competition Sunday, breaking his own previous world record.

Kobayashi, 26, of Nagano, Japan, gulped down 53 1/2 wieners in 12 minutes and shattered his own world record by three dogs. In 2002, he had wolfed down 50 1/2.

The closest competitor Sunday was newcomer Nobuyuki Shirota, 25, of Tokyo, who made an impressive showing but couldn't cut the mustard with 38 downed dogs.

Once again, then, the contest's coveted Mustard Yellow Belt returns to Japan. Since 1996, the Japanese have dominated the competition and only one American - New Jersey's Steve Keiner in 1999 - has captured the belt at the signature July 4 extravaganza.

The 5-foot-7, 132-pound Kobayashi, of Nagano, Japan, employed his trademark method of snapping the dogs in half before swallowing them to destroy the 19 other contestants.

Meanwhile, 105-pound Sonya "The Black Widow" Thomas, 36, of Alexandria, Va., could relish two new records: She ate more hot dogs - 32 - than any other woman and any other American in the contest's history.

Eric "Badlands" Booker, a 6-foot-4, 400-pound subway conductor from Long Island who came in fifth with 27 dogs, said he and the other competitive eaters were determined to unseat the Japanese.

"We aren't going to stop until we bring the belt back," he told ESPN.....he must stop entering both the pie eating and Hotdog contest on the same day...

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/nation...0Dog%20Contest
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Crawford Sausage in Berwyn, Ill., a Czech meat market in Chicago area has the real thing. They are the dogs that are all linked together like a chain. They sell them on their website, but shipping is $40.00 to CO. I only order them for the holidays along with some awsome sausages called Prazky.
    ~Ernie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by erninator:
    Crawford Sausage in Berwyn, Ill., <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've hemm... they're really good...

but i still think the best dogs I ever had were Casper's hot dogs from the SF Bay Area , Ca.

I've chased dogs all over the country... and Casper's are still at the top of my list... although it's a crowded list .....

JOe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

The best dogs are dirty water dogs from the pushcarts in Nyc lol Paypaya is good also. The worst hot dogs are in Nathans of Coney Island belive it or not. The packages they sell in the stores are better. In the late 80's they changed management there and it hasn't been the same since.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, grill is fired up, finally got around to getting all that squirrel hair out.

It will be Nathan's vs. Hebrew National vs. Ball Park beef franks. Maybe i should have a food site where i can try different foods and rate them and have my grocery bill tax deductible

ABW Ambassador
    Leave room on the grill for some "Smart Dogs" from LightLife.

"The world’s first FAT FREE hot dog. Real hot dog flavor with all the snap of a meat frank… without the fat, calories, nitrites."

Beats the other vegetarian dogs hands down. Yum. I may just bike into town to get some today if the rain holds off.

Wayne

I have the Chili out to top off those dogs.. Get to cooking

ABW Ambassador
    Hebrew took it. I've tried veggy dogs before (ex-gf was a vegan) and it's just not for me. Vegetarian and hot dogs just don't go together. I like fat filled beef hot dogs. Nothing against vegetarians or those that like vegetarian dogs.

ABW Ambassador
    Put enough stuff on it and a piece of styrofoam will taste like a hot dog. At least that's what I tell myself.

The important thing is to protect yourself. Hot dogs are not healthy for you, but if you must eat one, always use a condiment.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Every relocated Nebraskan I know loves Fairbury Tomboys. Like most controlled substances, you fiend for it when you can't have it.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

ABW Ambassador
    Looks like they have an affiliate program

https://secure.matrim.com/sb/aff.cgi?m=11

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Looks like they have an affiliate program

https://secure.matrim.com/sb/aff.cgi?m=11 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I wasn't even paying attention!
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

My vote is for Zweigle's White Hots (Rochester, NY). It's one of the only things I miss from up there.

Affiliate Manager
    OMG, I gotta get in on this one because I LOVE hot dogs. And Chicago dogs are the BEST. Mustard (no ketchup, that's sacrilige), celery salt, relish, hot peppers, tomatoes, pickle, oh man. Now I'm hungry. I'm a fan of Mr. J's on State St., where I had my first ever Chicago dog. SuperDawg is also good and has been featured on Food Network, and in a crunch, Costco's $1.50 special. Vienna beef Hot dog and a soda with refills.

Don't forget about Fluky's. Too bad they're not around anymore in the area.

By far the best hot dog I have had is Todoroff's Original Coney Island. It is not so much the hot dog which is good in its own right, but it is the incredible flavor of the chili sauce which they use. We're not talking soupy beans or taco meat but spicy ground beef with its own great taste. This is the original Michigan Chile Dog which is available in various parts of the country. You owe it to yourself to get this recipe if you cook dogs at home. In fact here you go:
    http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-..._sauce,FF.html

I vote for Zweigle's White Hots too.

When I was living in NJ, if anyone from Rochester came to visit they were required to bring with them a cooler full of them for me to stick in my freezer to gain admitance to my house!
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast