Hi.
    I noticed that some affiliate programs ask if you give part of your proceeds to charity.

Why? Does that improve your ranking if you have a link to a charitable organization on your website?

The main reason I ask is, I have a 22-year-old-son who has muscular dystrophy.
    Luckily, my wife works as a nurse, and I am staying home with him and caring for him.
    I'm also cranking out webpages (That's the main reason I got into this biz...so I could stay at home and bring home some bacon too, I was sure glad to run across ABestWeb!)

When, not if, I start to see some good income, I plan to give part of my proceeds to an organization called the parent project. (http://www.parentprojectmd.org/news/latest/index.html)

This is an orginazation composed of parents who got pi$$ed off enough at the M.D.A. and started their own charity.

Unlike the MDA, who spends more on advertising than on research, the P.P. (Parent Project) spends 80% of the proceeds on research to help find a cure for this horrible disease.

My son is lucky, although he can't walk, and has to have full-time care, he has a good mind and enjoys life. His cousins (the disease is passed genetically from mother to son) who had it lived to be in their late 30's and early 40's.

Most of these boys die in their teens.

Anyway, what started out to be a simple question turned into a rant. I just feel overwhelmed sometimes...the webpage building takes longer than I thought and I sometimes feel like I'm getting nowhere.

But, then I read posts where some of you have struggled, kept on building and trying, and eventually it paid off. That keeps me going.

Anyway, to make a long story short, thanks to all of you who support newbies like me. There's a great bunch of people here, and I'm glad to be a member of this community.

Keep up the good work!

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Welcome Rick and you'll find this community will help in all ways short of letting you copy their sites to get you on the track to affiliate profits. Unfortunately all charity themed affiliate programs consist of theftware BHO applications run by charity ploy crooks.

Until the corporate jet gets gassed up and the new Porche get bought the charities don't get a dime from these affiliate wanks. I'm sure the major networks have a special plan for the honest "incnet" charity sites if you can get them to dust them off in their basement files.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Unfortunately all charity themed affiliate programs consist of theftware BHO applications run by charity ploy crooks.

Until the corporate jet gets gassed up and the new Porche get bought the charities don't get a dime from these affiliate wanks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's certainly true of the MDA, however the Parent Project was started by a lady I know personally.

Her two sons and my son were in an experimental project in Memphis, Tenn. The doctor (who I won't name here) had a procedure to prolong the boys lives.
    When push came to shove, the FDA got involved.
    Us parents lobbied to our congressmen and senators to get his program o.k.'d.

He began charging 100,000 bucks a pop, and because we couldn't afford to pay, dropped us. (after telling us that he wouldn't)

The Lady I referred to had two sons in the program. They both passed away within a year of each other.

Frustrated by the lack of ethics and the immorality of organizations like the MDA and this doctor, she started her own charity that actually does put the money in research. A lot of us parents support them.

The Parent Project is just that, an organization of parents who have turned to hiring their own researchers who aren't influenced by the FDA and outside monoliths like the MDA.

Personally, I wouldn't give the MDA one thin dime.
    I could go on, but my purpose was not to start a rant.

I was wondering if you had a link to a charitable organization if it would boost your rankings. I just got frustrated and wrote more than I should have.

Anyhow, Thanks for replying.

Later,
    Rick K.
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't...You're right!" -Henry Ford-

Rick, I will be praying for you and your family.

I understand what you mean with the MDA - I had some dealings with them here in Houston many years ago.
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    "I was wondering if you had a link to a charitable organization if it would boost your rankings."

no

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Rick,

Linking to a charitable organization does not improve your ranking. The reason some affiliate programs ask are to see if you are running an incentive program. A portion of proceeds going to a charity is one common type of incentive program that many affs use. Some Merchants don't allow for any type of incentive programs, some do.

Before you add such to your site are post on your site that you are giving a % of proceeds to charity, you may want to review the individual TOS of your Merchants (especially your top performing Merchants) and see if they allow for such before you make that decision. You are certainly entitled to give proceeds from your site to a charity. The issue is whether you are telling your visitors that and promoting that a portion of commissions they generate are either paid back to them or a charity (ie incentive).

Concentrate on making profitable sales sites. Do not add leaks on the site to anything that won't make money for you. If a visitor sees a link to a charity, they may go there instead of staying on your site buying things like they are supposed to. When you have enough money to spare, THEN support the charity of your choice. Meanwhile, do not distract the traffic you work so hard to get with ANYTHING that takes them out of the buying mode.

If you want to make site supporting a charity, make one but don't use it for your sales site. You can link to the charity of your choice and they can give directly to the charity, itself. If that site gets any PR, put a link from it to your sales site to help raise the PR of your sales site. Don't link back from the sales site.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread