Well it boots to a screen that gives me a choice of safe mode, normal, going back to previous version etc. No matter what I do it just comes back to this screen. I made a boot disk which gets me to an a:> prompt but when I try to look at c drive it can't find the drive. So I tried the boot disk in another comptuer, same thing, can't see the hard drive. How the heck do you boot WinXP and look at the hard drive?

jane, How are you viewing this board if Xp wont boot?

Also Most likely you have a virus. Same thing happened to be last year. Most likely you have a serious virus.

Easy, it's a computer at work not one of mine. I have several of my own and they are not running XP, you always have to have a spare so you can fix the other!

Actually so far I have found out the reason I can't see the HD is because of the NTFS file system, but I made the special boot disk as instructed and it doesn't work on the bad computer or one that is perfectly fine.

The plan for tomorrow is to pull the drive and put it in another computer as a slave and get the files off before attempting repair. Hoping someone experienced with XP can give me some better info first.

ABW Ambassador
    My daughter called me last week with the same problem on her Mom's computer. Not being there to try things hands on, talking her through it by phone we were unable to to repair XP and using the fresh set of Windows disks, we were unable to run Setup. After booting from the Setup disk we got to a point where it demanded a password. No password had ever been set and it would not accept no password. There was no way to continue.

Tech support at Gateway told my daughter the hard drive was damaged and sent a replacement (under warranty.) They aslo claimed that it was damaged by spyware or a virus, which is something I still don't understand.

I hope you have all important files backed up.

Wayne

Samething happened few days earlier to my friends PC. XP wouldnt boot and when tried booting through a: then hard drive c: wasnt available. Even sometimes BIOS autodetect wouldnt detect the C Drive.

Tried searching for a solution on different forums but nobody gave a real solution. The last answer was "Replace your Hard Disk", as Wayne mentioned.

You are right make it a slave and copy your data and then experiment with it. Thats exaclty what I did and was able to save the data. But hard disk never worked, had to replace it. Before doing that make sure that your other HD doesnt get affected with the virus (if its a virus).
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

She was running the windows update when all this mess started. I had run adaware before and the computer always has Norton Internet Security and Anti-Virus running. After running the updates it said it couldn't start windows because a windows file was missing SYSTEM. Is that even a file? It had no extension on it. Ran the non destructive restore disk that came with the computer which is when we got caught in the never ending loop. A blue screen flashes by so quick I can't see what it says. I think I may stay with Win2000 on my next computer, I don't like not being able to boot dos and see the hard drive and that seems to be an XP thing. I have an old computer that I use for testing, that is what I will put her hard drive in so if it gets infected no biggie.

I would do a search on Google for Service Pack 2 Windows XP related issues. I have heard that on some machines it has caused problems.

two day's ago one of my machines started something like this.

I have xp home on that computer and have NOT installed the service pack.

it not my main system so have not messed with it yet.

This machine was running and operating fine in the morning...left it alone for a couple hours...went to use it again and moved my mouse around and the screen said power save mode and then it tried to reboot it self.

It would go through the normal steps except it would reboot just before the xp screen came up.

my first thought was a virus...maybe i'll try looking at it sometime today?
    dave

My orig problem was Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt : \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

I could not get to the recovery console with the OEM windows disk so I used these disks to do a non destructive recovery. First Mistake, because now even if it did boot I would have my files but still need to reinstall all programs.
    After I did this it got caught in the loop at a start up screen though.

I borrowed a windows pro upgrade disk from another computer so I could get to the recovery console and replace the bad file. Think if I had done this first things would have been much easier/faster.

ABW Ambassador
    The original error message my daughter got was: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: &lt;Windows root&gt;\system32\hal.dll"

Never could get into repair mode, just the same loop you got caught in. Setup, as I said was a failure.

What's with XP, anyway? I never used it. Is it as buggy as it seems?

WHERE'S DREWBERT??? Need to be told to get a Mac right about now.

Wayne

HAL is one of several features--along with the NT file system (NTFS) that replaced the much less secure MS-DOS--that make NT-based operating systems more secure and reliable than Windows 95, 98, and Me.

It's all this security that is causing the nightmares.

ABW Ambassador
    Just received an email, some of which describes your problem in haiku:

Windows XP crashed.
    I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.
    ---------------------------
    Yesterday it worked.
    Today it is not working.
    Windows is like that.
    ---------------------------
    A crash reduces
    Your expensive computer