ABW Ambassador
    Ok, I am very new to this, but I am learning bit by bit. I have been trying to get a datafeed into my database using phpmyadmin, I could not figure out how to get a tab delimited file in, it is giving me huge problems.
    I ended up trying to put ,', in between all the fields, which took ages, and then i got confused.

I use mysql and my php skills are limited. All i want is to get the whole feed into the database, which I have made up. I tried automating it with the use of someones post, but that did not work either. It cannot be that hard to do.

Once i get it in, then i will start playing with the php code to make my own script - which should take a while, but thats they way I learn, being hands on.

all the posts i read are to learn php, which is fine, but there is no place that I can find which helps you get your info into the database.

I have been working on this for months now, so I am now getting desperate for help.

Thankyou for any info at all.
    I am practising on the mondera script, but have just asked cj for warner bros, and homevisions feed, now I am earning enough.

And people say I'm just a housewife!!! ha ha

Maybe it's not you, maybe it's the web host?
    I say this because I tried to upload one to my account hosted at globat and it would not work, I then uploaded the same file with no problem to another host. Both were using phpmyadmin.
    It's been awhile and I am no expert at this, but why did it take forever to change the delimiter? You should be able to open the file in excel and export it the way you want.

ABW Ambassador
    Hi, thanks for that.

I think to be honest, that I have absolutely no idea what I am doing, he he!!

I leanr as I go along, and I thought I was ready to start playing, but maybe not.

I have no idea what programs to open these feeds in, i have xls, txt and others and am very confused. So i think i shall just look into that aspect first. i need to learn abpout tabs and commas etc,

Tamalyn,

First, you should have no troube with a tab delmited file. It's easy to go down the wrong path and start experimenting with things that aren't causing you problems, so I thought I'd at least mention that. No need to change the delimiters.

The problem is likely just with uploading through phpmyadmin. Datafeed files tend to be very large, and if they don't timeout the server, the PHP upload limit may be set at a number smaller than the size of your feed (the default in PHP is 2MB.)

If you haven't already, try with just the first 10 rows of the feed file.

When it comes time to load the whole file, you're likely going to need to do so with the mysql command line. Do you have shell access to your server?

--scott

--
    scott@befree.com

My host doesn't allow uploading data from a file with phpMyAdmin, so you might be in a similar situation. I use SQLyog (a windows program) It uploads files with no problem.

www.sqlyog.com

I've tried uploading files to phpMyAdmin- it works once, then stops working forever! I've had to tell my host to fix it twice. What I finally did was switch to PostgreSQL. Of course, that may not be the best solution.

Bryan Simonson
    email: bryan@smoothcorp.com
    phone: 425-460-4748

Upload the file to the server, then insert via phpmyadmin -- your mysql user needs "global FILE" permissions, and you need to know the ABSOLUTE PATH to the datafeed file

In the query box under phpmyadmin, use the SQL statement:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
    LOAD DATA INFILE '/path/to/datafeed.txt'
    INTO TABLE mytable
    FIELDS TERMINATED BY '\t'
    </pre>

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks guys, it was phpmyadmin not letting it go in!! there must be a bug in it, as it was looking elsewhere for the file.

I have put it ther other way with insert into, and will be making a script to put it in from now on.
    Thankyou for all the tips,

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread