She was hit by a car outside the house and my kids saw her

My 11 year old is staying home...shes so upset, and I don't know what to say. We are watching a movie. This is our first loss of family pet... any advice?

Lola,

I'm so sorry to hear about your Cat. I lost a Cat a couple of years ago, he was 16 years old. It was just as if a family member died, because he truly was a family member.

There's a site about pet loss online, it's Pet Loss Grief Support. They have a forum, and it's a place for people to go who've lost pets. Lots of stories and advice from others who've gone through the same thing. It can be an important part of the recovery process, because you find a lot of people are hurting after a pet dies.

They have a Monday night Candle Ceremony, and your kids can post a tribute to their pet there as well.

It will just take time for everyone to feel better, some need more time than others. But it will eventually get better. Again, I'm sorry to hear about your Cat, I still think about my cat Max every day, even though I've rescued 2 other cats since his death, and they're certainly good company, but they'll never replace him.

Andy

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that, Lola. We lost Tiger a while back, it is pretty hard on kids. We had a little funeral for him, and buried him out back beside the stray cat and pet rabbit. We have a budding little pet cemetary out back....
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Thanks guys, She's doing a bit better.

Going to check out that pet loss site now while she is taking a nap.

[img]http://www.ssan.com/ecards/pix/All_Animals/*Pet_Sympathy/8140628180.gif[/img]

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    awww I LOVE kitties!!!

Sorry to hear about your family's loss Lola - definitely it just takes time for the wounds to heal. I understand - I've had cats my entire life!!

As much as this may make pets sound somewhat disposable, I always found as a kid that getting a new pet made the healing process a lot easier. I say get a new kitty!! When they're babies they're so adorable it's impossible to be upset!

My 5 year old calmly said, well we have 2 other cats, and didn't shed a tear (she has aspergers). I think that made it a bit harder for my 11 year old, who is very sensative.

Since we got a new puppy a few months ago, a new kitten will have to wait.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Lola.
    I hope your pain eases quickly
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Lola, sorry to hear of your loss.

Here is a beautiful flash movie of the "rainbow bridge" poem.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html
    Ebudae

really sorry to hear about your pet. when i was growing up, if one of our dogs died, my parents would have a big 'reception & burial', complete with readings from the bible and all ... we had a huge backyard which stretched into a sortof field (where the burials took place) and the spot was marked with a cross too. i think it helped us (as kids) to feel better thinking that our dog was gone to heaven.

as late as in my late teens, my sister's husband left our gate open and my favorite dog went out and was hit by a car. i had a big cry that night .. crying really helps, some people think its silly 'coz its just a pet' but hey, people get to love their pets almost as much as they'd love another human sometimes

I sent her off to the "Pet Cemetary" instead of a backyard barial. I thought of of our other animals might dig it up and scare the kids

Sorry for your lost. I recently lost my birdie.

lola:

Maybe you can find a book on dealing with pet loss made for children.......and this may help your 11 year old deal with the loss.

We lost two kittens about 11 years ago. My kids were just toddlers at the time so they barely noticed them missing. Though, my husband took it very hard, he really loves cats.
    It took about 4 years for him to get another cat. We adopted a cat from an Animal League and we've had her now for 7 years.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread