This sounds pretty good!

Cancer Dies When 'Defect' Fixed

"Abnormalities in genes affecting [programmed cell death] have been found in nearly every cancer, suggesting they may be necessary to develop cancer."
    Researcher Anthony Letai

Oh! I hope this works!
    What will our normal life expectancy go to if it does?

I really want to live to see this. It would change EVERYTHING! 50 would be young!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Thanks for the info

News like this can make the fight for more time hoping things like this will be discovered and used a bit easier

They may just do it!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Oh man this is awesome news. I'm not personally affected but know so many great people that are and have been like our good friend WW. The approach is very interesting too.

I personally thought they'd find the cure for cancer via an altered version of a virus like HIV known to attack white blood cells. I figured they could genetically alter it to attack cancer cells.

Not an MD but I believe it would work.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Yes, excellent news. It's been a long time coming.

On the subject of "hanging on for a cure" I read an article about prostrate cancer yesterday (I forget where) that stated that since prostrate usually grows very slowly, and the symptoms are usually less severe than the cure (operation results in a high chance of impotence and an even higher chance of incontinence - then there's the chemo side effects) that just leaving the dman thing there and watching it for growth spurts is a better option.

Would living forever be a curse worse than death? I think I might get bored after 200 years. What age would we get to retire? The world could get awful crowded.

Our concerns about the world getting crowded are not as much as you think. We are LOSING people!
    Birth Dearth

If we lived to be 200, remember most of our life span would not be reproductive years. More people would not be born, they would just live longer.

Also, remember that MOST of the land surface has very a small population on it. A dozen more large cities would probably be enough room for the additional people and space wise earth could sustain a dozen more cities easily.

What should be of concern with a larger population is being protective of the environment and making best use of our resources and technology. We would also need to address quality of life for the elderly and either keep them productive or increase the production of the available work force.

In this case, I would also like to see honorable opt out options for those tired of living. I am for choice in most things.

Whatever comes of this it's nothing to do with immortality or even prolonging life.

Cancer cells are a problem because they're forever youthful and forever growing. This new discovery is a way of making the youthful cancer cells grow old and die like all other cells. If all cells didn't die naturally, they would all become cancerous.

So I guess the The Haig-Kissinger depopulation policy is working. Cancer or not the rest of our bodies will deteriorate, but there are many people who get cancer much too young.

Yes, we would die of something, eventually. However, I can perceive life expectancy doubling again within two generations.

More killers than just cancer are being addressed. And, good progress is being made on many terminal diseases.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Whatever comes of this it's nothing to do with immortality or even prolonging life.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is about prolonging life though
    We just did the 8th birthday party for my youngest son. Could barely make it across the room to help out.

And this isn't just me.....There are many people in the same situation as here.
    Many would just like to know they may be around for more birthdays

For everyone who is suffering with this horrible disease, I hope this is a big step towards a cure.

And if you want to know what bravery is, it's getting up everyday and living life the best you can knowing your body is working against you.

It sure sounds like they're heading in the right direction with this one...let's keep our fingers crossed and pray that it works!

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Whatever comes of this it's nothing to do with immortality or even prolonging life.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is about prolonging life though <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, sorry I maybe was a bit imprecise. I meant it's unlikely to be able to be adapted to prolong the life of healthy individuals without cancer.

Our cells are renewed continually and no cells are very old - we get a new skeleton every 5 years or so for instance and the rest of our bodies are replaced sooner than that. So even young children have "old" cells that have reached the end of their lives and are being replaced.

The mechanism of growing old is something akin to taking repeat photocopies of photocopies rather than of using an original each time. As time goes by, cells are replaced with somewhat less than perfect copies and the genes in particular accumulate defects and problems.

I feel for any who are battling this, I lost my mother to cancer three years ago, father-in-law 2 years ago and my father is fighting it at the moment. A very close work colleague's long term partner has been receiving treatment for over a year now and it's an awful thing to live with and through.

Seems like some kind of ultimate joke that the cause is cells that are ever exuberantly youthful.

Time for that Mars Colony! 200 year lifespans.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread