ABW Ambassador
    I have the chance to go to either Florida Atlantic University or the Eastern Michigan University next year but I don't know which one to choose. I don't mind *some* snow.. but having that white stuff there over 1 week per year is to much IMHO...

I grew up in Miami (and go back every summer) so going to Florida wouldn't really be that exciting, that would place Michigan as my first choice... but Leader has me scared... is it as cold as she says it is up there?

Anyone have any suggestions? My mom wants me to go to Florida but I'm sure she only says that so she can have my uncle check on my every other day...

Javi

It is colder than you can imagine.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Mom knows best, go to Florida. I can understand the uncle checking on you thing. Maybe Michigan

Come on, guys, Michigan isn't all that bad...

Mind you, I'd prefer a consistantly warmer climate, with balmy weather and ocean surf -- but there's a lot of great value to changing climates throughout the year, like we have here in Michigan.. (Plus, there's something to look forward to, when vacationing in a tropical climate. ;-)

Lot's of summer activity - tons of lakes for boating / fishing, etc. (And, hot dawg: the summer temps exceed 80 degrees frequently). Spring is *wonderful* and fall is very nice with beautiful color changes... Winter is tolarable - especially if you like to ski and shovel snow, lol.

Okay.. I'm trying to sell myself on staying!

I do love it here in Michigan though.

And btw - we have found some of our favorite employees from Eastern. ;-)

It is pretty nice here though..

Good luck, whatever you choose! (but, if you come to Michigan, look us up..)

Todd

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Leader has me scared... is it as cold as she says it is up there?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click below and weep--but be careful not to weep in the winter, or else your tears will FREEZE to your face!

Weather.com's Averages Screen for Ypsilanti, MI--where you'd be if you came up to the Deep Freeze State:

http://www.weather.com/activities/ho...04&from=search

There's a button below the graph (below the "Ypsilanti weather facts" to make it Metric.

For those who don't like to bother clicking, here's a highlight: Average HIGH temperature in January = 32 F/ 0 Celsius, WITHOUT the WINDCHILL!

Comparison shopping time.

Here's the averages for Fort Lauderdale, FL:

http://www.weather.com/activities/ho...49&from=search

January's LOW in Ft. Lauderdale = a balmy 59F/15C.

That LOW is warmer than it will get in Ypsilanti, MI until APRIL!

Michigan. Where global warming's effects will be detected last. Unless it causes us to have more BLIZZARDS that is!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Snow or hurricanes.. hmmmm. Well it will be too cold to go outside in the winter so you will stay inside and do your school work instead of hanging out on the beach. Well forget the weather, what advantge does one school have over the other?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> there's a lot of great value to changing climates throughout the year,
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Like WHAT?

Hibernation! Affiliates don't have to go out in the winter. Dominos delivers.

choices... hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

let's see...

go to florida... take swim suit.. for year round swimming....

go to michigin... tke 2 extra heavy coats for the frigid weather that is sure to come...

hey,,, why you think charley the parrot has MIKE?

Joe
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:

For those who don't like to bother clicking, here's a highlight: Average HIGH temperature in January = 32 F/ 0 Celsius, WITHOUT the WINDCHILL!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try 19F for ave high and -2F for ave low!
    http://www.weather.com/activities/ot...10&from=search
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

FAU is a decent school with a good reputation. Plus while people from the north lie to you and tell you that you will miss the change of seasons, I will tell you the truth that you will not ever.

Florida's seasons.

Winter - Sweatshirt / shorts
    Spring - T-Shirt / shorts
    Summer - Go to the beach
    Fall - T-Shirt / shorts

I have been known to wear shorts and sandals on Christmas day. nuff said.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

Eastern Michigan?

If you're going to go to a Mid-American Conference school, there really is only one choice - Bowling Green State University.

Eastern Michigan? Please. The town is a permanent typo.

Go to Florida. Get a tan. Hang out on the beach. Have fun.

Eastern Michigan?

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, let's just get down to it. I went to HS and College in Orlando. Girls in shorts all year round. Thread closed.

Boca Raton has better restaurants than Eastern Michigan I bet.

What have you done so far in your life? What are the colleges like? What are you most likely to do afterwards?

I've lived in places of extreme heat and extreme cold, neither was better, they were different. If I were you I'd go for the most variety in life, which sounds like Michigan as if your family are in the South and you've already lived there, you're probably most likely to end up back there.

Cold can be fun and exciting, not for everyone, but when I lived on the equator, I got fed up of opening the curtains every morning and seeing blue skies and endless heat. I got tired of chasing camels out of the garden and of the lack of differentiation of seasons.

Michigan cold doesn't sound too bad to me, but you have to remember I live in England where for 6 months of the year, the sky is about 10 feet above our heads - but hey our grass is so green it almost glows!

ABW Ambassador
    After ten years in the states Orlando is as far up as I've gone.. thats why I wanted to go to Michigan.. but I guess you guys are right.. won't fool myself, seeing over an inch of snow makes me cringe.

BTW my brother told me that people actually have to get up earlier in the morning with some kind of shovel to get there car out of the driveway regularly!

Seeing an inch of snow makes you cringe lol what will happen when you see 20 inches of snow lol
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Stay in Florida.

I spent 5 years once under snow close to New York, and with 17 degrees below. Everyone in Michigan right now wishes they were in Florida. LOL

Besides, take TrustNo1's advice, youl feel better.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> After ten years in the states Orlando is as far up as I've gone.. thats why I wanted to go to Michigan.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a vacation to MI. If you want to see "seasons" and sn*w, come at some oddball time like winter.

But LIVE in FL!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> BTW my brother told me that people actually have to get up earlier in the morning with some kind of shovel to get there car out of the driveway regularly! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually they use snowblowers instead of shovels. Shoveling real quantities of snow is too hard on the heart for many people. (I say "they," because thanks to affiliate marketing, *I* don't have to bother. My car is typically snowed in for most of the winter. If a fluke thaw happens, that's when I jump in and take a drive to alleviate the stir-craziness!)

"I got tired of chasing camels out of the garden~Paul Ward"

The other stuff you mentioned sounded great, but THAT would get old!

The only problem I can see with equatorial weather would be the dryness. Every disastrous, call-in-the-UN-food-program sized drought I can remember seems to have been down there somewhere.

No camels in FL except in the zoo. And it does have rain, and crops, and grass. The grass is about like in MI--the "lawnies" have the glowing green turf, some people have mostly weeds, and most are somewhere in between.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leader:
    The only problem I can see with equatorial weather would be the dryness. Every disastrous, call-in-the-UN-food-program sized drought I can remember seems to have been down there somewhere. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was on the coast - Mombasa - which is as tropical as it gets, hot and sweaty permanently. No I never worked out why they used camels there either, but they did.

Go North and face the snow, sounds like too many Southern Softies here!

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Limey, the problem with the restaurants in Boca Raton is that during tourist season you have to wait an hour to get into even an ordinary restaurant. The old folks eat dinner at four o'clock in the afternoon just so they don't have to stand outside waiting for a table!

So, Javi...what do you plan to major in? Is one school preferable to the other for academic reasons?

<span class="ev_code_BLUE">* I like snow *</span>

ABW Ambassador
    It's the last year of the major in marketing I've done the other 4 years here (yes it's 5 years for any major in Spain )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Leader
    And it does have rain <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's the only place where you'll see the rain while the sun is shining

Go to Florida. Haven't you seen "The Day After Tommorrow"? Snow will come to Michigan. But if you have to go remember Shoes.com has a good deal of winter boots now.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread