Hi gang,

I'm thinking of switching to Vonage since it will cut my phone bills by over half every month.

I've got some friends that use it and i've gotten mixed feedback. The heavy techies have had to back down the QOS because it interferes with big downloads but others thing it's just the best thing since sliced bread..

Any of you have an opinion?? On the phone that is, I know you all have opinions

I've used and sold Viop for years...

there is a trade off... real low costs vs decreased performance of your computer online....

Have you looked at discounted long distance??
    In most parts of the country it's 3.25 CPM

shameless plug.... send me a PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    I heard of a peer to peer voip software that they claim is better than regular telephone clarity. Don't remember what it's called .. it's made by the same people who made kaazaa.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Actually it's my local that's rediculious.. $35 a month for service and the next best is just over $25..

My Cell service isn't good at the house so i'm kinda stuck..

Sent ya a pm..

my2cents ... how much decreased online performance?
    This is something looking into as well.
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

Outsourced Program Manager
    AffiliateBuddha, it's called Skype.

Hotspice, I have vonage and I love it. I have not experienced any of the drawbacks you mention, and they just lowered their price again. Right now I pay just $28 per month including all taxes and that includes all the bells and whistles like caller Id, voicemail, call forwarding, and unlimited long distance to the U.S. (and Canada I think)

Mike,

Two of the people that i've talked to have file transfer problems. If they were on the phone and trying to transfer files the download time was rediculiously slow..

They backed down the QOS on the vonage site and file transfer time went better but they felt like the voice quality was degraded.

I am a vonage customer and if you have a decent Broadband connection 3Mbps down and atleast 1Mbps up you will do ok.

However the 911 on vonage and other VoIP providers is bad.

You also might want to look at CallVantage and Depending on who your Cable Provider is you might want to look into what they are offering.

Skype is made by the same dudes that brought you Kazaa. If you trust them not to sneak spyware into it then you can use it however I heard the voice quality isn't as great as the voice quality on voIP.

I picked up a Vonage device on my last trip home and use it to call Mom back in Penna while I am in Europe. Even with all the hops (about 12 sometimes) there is no noticable lag. And I don't see any change in file transfers or latency. I have a 3MB/384 DSL line, so maybe that's why, but I dialed it all the way up to maximum quality (90kbs) and never see any problem. Even ping times to theserver on EverQuest (my step son is an EQ junkie) are fine.

The only thing that was bad was setting up the PPoE. I couldn't get the device to log in (only room for a 25 character user name, and my ISP has a 30 character user name) so I had to put it behind my Linksys NAT/Router. I set up the vonage device as a DMZ location in the Linksys profile, and it works just fine. (Sorry for the geeky stuff)

I love being able to have a phone number that is a local dial for my family, and of course the 911 issue doesn't affect me as I'm only "virtually" there.
    Tom C.
    [URL=http://www.cafepress.com/simplesignshop]Simple Sign Shop[/URL]

Every day leave someone or something better than you found it.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread