I'm running XP Home Edition with sp2. P4 at 2.53 with 512 sdram.

My problem is this...

I open a folder that has maybe 1000 files. When the window opens, the icons next to the files take 3 or 4 seconds to appear. I can only scroll down extremely slowly as the icon appears next to each file. It's very frustrating especially if I wanting to scroll down the page quickly.

Any thoughts?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm no expert - but when that happens to me - it usually means too many things are still running in background that can't be seen - so I totally turn off the computer for about 1 minute and then restart it and it works fine. It's worth a try.

Sounds like more memory will solve your problem.

A workaround, and to test if more memory will fix your problem, is to subdivide the 1000 files into 5-10 folders. Either create 5+ categories that each file can fit into, or if they are all already closely related you can create 5+ alphabetical folders (A-E, F-K, L-O, etc, etc) that each file will go in.

If the delay disappears than it is simply a memory problem. You could either get more memory or keep the above workaround as a permanent fix.

Could also be the memory on the graphics card.

JadaKiss and noname offer great suggestions for testing. I would take it a step further to isolate the problem.

Shut down and leave the computer off for a minute. Restart and don't launch any programs. Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what processes are running.

If you have anything other than system level processes running, end the processes. (This could be virus protection, firewall software, etc.) Then, see if you can open that folder more quickly. If you can, then you definitely need more system memory.

If not, then you may want to look at a graphics card upgrade.

Another way to test for video memory is to open a large (file size) graphic on your computer and then zoom in several steps. If the redraw on the screen is slow...you need a graphics card with more memory.

Bottom line, more system memory is ALWAYS a good thing. But, it won't help much for screen redraws (icons appearing, etc.) if the video card can't support it.
    - I am not young enough to know everything

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Verify which tasks are running "Ctrl + Alt + Del) using task manager. Eliminate all the unnecessary ones and any BHO's you find hidden in there. Next Start -Find *.tmp files on your computer and delete them. Then go to www.trendmicro.com and run the online "housecall" virus and detect tools as many BHO nasties are bundled with viruses that block Norton -Adware and SpyBot S&D.

Many Windows programs have buggy calls to the memory pool and often hog avialable memory. With 512 MB your well set on memory.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Thanks for the replies. I'll try what you've suggested.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Good recomendation from Mike. www.trendmicro.com

2 days ago a mortgage broker friend was having a similar problem, specialy seing PDF files on the net. He had everything from When-U to Tangent to Hitbox.

Here are the 3 programs I ran for him and solved all his problems. It took about 3 hours but he was the happiest man alive. I'm sure you have these already.

TrendMicro HouseCall

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp

Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.05

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-...6.html?tag=pop

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

http://www.download.com/Spybot-Searc...5.html?tag=pop

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The reason you now have to run trend micro is so many of the theftware perps and their drive-by installers have bundled backdoor computer viruses that disable common virus and adware/spyware detect-removal tools as step #1.

When you can't update Norton or get a false "no updates available" message your theftware buddies are at work. If your SpyBot or Ad-aware program stalls and can't be updated...you've been whacked. If you can't get to www.lavasoft.com or the SpyBot and Housecall sites your really ...f*cked! You then have to call me and pay me for removal of these network darlings.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread