I'm just curious

If you had a real world business and sold things, would you give the merchandise away for free to family and friends?

I face this sooooo often, I'm wondering if my stance on this is askewed
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

It really depends, if my wife comes to my store and I charge her then I cant protest if she start charging for each meal.............lol

Certainly I will never charge my Parents.

Friends, can give away as a souvenir on their first visit or so as long as I know they are not going to make it a habbit.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I wouldn't give it away if they were hard goods, but I'd let them have them at zero profit to me. Depends what it was though - in a bakery the odd loaf of bread wouldn't matter, but for furniture say, the purchase cost to me would be considerable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It really depends, if my wife comes to my store and I charge her then I cant protest if she start charging for each meal.............lol <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be fair I suppose LOL

I should clarify though.
    My products (the ones I produce myself) are expensive goods for special occassions. Whenever a special something comes along, I am expected to donate my services and products for free. Some of the freebies add up to (at the bare minimum) hundreds of dollars and some, up to several thousand.

I have in the past donated these goods (under extreme pressure) for free because I couldn't find a diplomatic way of charging my own costs at least, but once I stopped doing this, it seems everyone is getting all bent out of shape.

One person even went as far as ORDERING FOR REAL MONEY, from my biggest competitor - who chose an industry show to mention it, in front of all the other vendors.

Grrrr!

(the relatives are inlaws, I don't know if that makes a difference)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HomeFlower:
    but once I stopped doing this, it seems everyone is getting all bent out of shape.

One person even went as far as ORDERING FOR REAL MONEY, from my biggest competitor - who chose an industry show to mention it, in front of all the other vendors.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Trust me, then these kind of people are not friends and dont worth that you give away free stuff (especially when its not cheap). You can call somebody a friend if he/she respects that its your bread and butter and try not to take advantage of you being nice to them. If they understand this its great and if they dont then believe me they dont worth that you feel guilty of doing something what is your right.

I had a smiliar experience, freind of mine runs a grocery store and couple of times it happened that he forcefully refused to charge me for items I took. Just for him not to think that I am taking advantage of him I stopped going to his store, eventually he came to know and got mad. I explained to him and asked him to promise me that he will charge me for everything I buy then I would be more than glad to shop at his store.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

<span class="ev_code_BROWN">If you had a real world business and sold things, would you give the merchandise away for free to family and friends?</span>

.......my brother has a drop shipping business and he lets me have what ever I need at wholesale cost, without any profit to him. I don't have a problem with this and appreciate the wholesale price. I would not expect for him to let me have whatever I wanted for free, he's got his own family and obligations to take care of.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    In my business here some samples that I may get N/C I can give away free also

The odd item I may give to family for free if I know it is for them and they have a need for it

If it is an expensive item it's cost should at least be covered no matter who buys it

Common sense dictates what you do and how many you can give away, but it sounds like people have gone beyond this with you
    It is time to just say NO

" (the relatives are inlaws, I don't know if that makes a difference) "

In that case, it sure makes a big difference.

Before you get marry, bribe them with free stuff. (specially if they don't like you too much)

After you get marry, tell them that now you must charge them because, now you have a spouse to maintain.

For free? Hell no.

Cost price to me - sure.

I DO gives away services (ie, my time only) as long as it isn't too much, but would not give away hard goods full stop.

Say for example I sell fridges. I don't MAKE fridges - they cost me $600 each to buy in before I put my mark up on them.

If I gave it to the relative, sure, they're getting it for free... but it's a $600 cost to me! I've gotta REALLY like someone before I give them a $600 cash gift, family or no.

Even if I were manufacturing - same principle. There's materials, worker time, factory expenses.

Just don't do it.

Say to them (and yes, I've said this myself):

"Look, I understand where you're coming from, but you're not actually just asking me for a -whatever-... you're actually asking me for $XXX cash gift out of my pocket, because that's what I have to PAY to get that item to give it to you for free. I'm perfectly happy to give it to you for cost... you're family after all... but I just can't give everyone in the family cash gifts like this and still put food on my table."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ulterior Motif:
    Say to them (and yes, I've said this myself):

"Look, I understand where you're coming from, but you're not actually just asking me for a -whatever-... you're actually asking me for $XXX cash gift out of my pocket, because that's what I have to PAY to get that item to give it to you for free. I'm perfectly happy to give it to you for cost... you're family after all... but I just can't give everyone in the family cash gifts like this and still put food on my table." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is a very nice way to explain things.

And if they don't understand after that, well -- they are either stupid or the kind of people who expect the world to give them a free ride.
    Ebudae

Well, it depends. What are they giving YOU for free? Sunday night dinner at their place? Do you know how much they may spend at the store every time you come over for a free meal? How about all the free baby sitting so you and your wife could have a few hours of freedom? How about all the birthday and Christmas presents for the kids? It isn't their job to buy your kids toys and clothes. You had them. Did your father-in-law help you repair your car? Did he lend you his lawn mower all summer? Did he buy all the beer you guys drank together? Did you remember to repay him all those times he slipped you $20 for gas? How about it, humm? What do YOU get for free? If they give, you give. If they don't, you don't.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

I was told once that if you give don't expect anything back, that is the beauty of giving...

But if the family or friends expect you to give that is not good. Giving shouldn't be expected by anyone.

Business is business and I seen alot of people lose profit because of being too giving! And family and friends should be more understanding that your business is not for free giving.

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do YOU get for free? If they give, you give. If they don't, you don't.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hubby and I don't get the free anything and never did.....we give and I guess that's why it's bothering me so much

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But if the family or friends expect you to give that is not good. Giving shouldn't be expected by anyone.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's expected and most times, demanded.

Thanks everyone.
    I feel more at ease with my decision now

For some reason everyone expects you to give and do for them for free - but they don't reciprocate in kind.

Unfortunately I've lost touch with most of my family because of this. There are hard feelings if you say no - I especially like the line "you can afford it". And there are hard feelings if you say yes because you can never do enough or you are just "flaunting your success".

I hope your decision won't hurt your relationship with your in-laws.
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread