http and a telephoto
    A writing group I am on, that I rarely actually have time to read because it is about 3000 WRITERS on a mailing list and what do you think they do??? Write a lot!!!! LOL. Anyway, on this writing group someone mentioned this challenge that happens every November, which is National Writing Month, in case you didn't know. The challenge is to write a 50,000 word novel from Nov 1 to Nov 30. The site is:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/cja...index.php?id=2

Crazy me, I signed up. I have a novel idea that I have had for a few years and never had time or energy to pursue. And since November 30 is my birthday I decided that my present to myself this year would be a novel.

Anyone else crazy enough to give it a try??? Come on, there have to be at least one or two closet fiction writers hanging out here!!! Fess up!!!

Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    That sounds like FUN!! I think I'll sign up.

Deborah,

Hubby says he's going to do it for the heck of it. I think he's is a GREAT Sci-Fi writer!

Good luck to all that enter!

http and a telephoto
    Cool! Make sure to pm me your nic (and hubbies) on the forums over there. I'm already in touch with the local coordinator for Rochester to see if I can meet other crazy people

I think Mike can write 50,000 words in a day, and it's pretty fictional most of the time or is it Charlie doing the writing??? LOL
    Deborah Carney

I started writing a book about 3 months ago. Am up to chapter 13. I need a really good editor with the way I spell. Any volunteers?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Often when you don't see tupoos I'm dictating to Charlie as he types. Those off color rants and small bit of Green humor are Charlies ad-libs.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager Rob@GoFreelance's Avatar
    I've just finished a novel...and a big-name literary agent is interested. But only if I change the main character, the plot and the ending...what does that leave?
    Rob Palmer
    GoFreelance

Now going crazy on Clickbank...top affiliate makes over $3000.00 per day. Taking the CB Marketplace by storm. <a href="http://www.gofreelance.com/cbaffiliates.html" target="_blank" title="Going Crazy on Clickbank">Click here to get your share of the huge profits...</a>

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'll check out that contest. But I could never visualize just what "X Words" really is. About how many pages is 50,000 words, anyway?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rob@FreelanceWorkExchange:
    I've just finished a novel...and a big-name literary agent is interested. But only if I change the main character, the plot and the ending...what does that leave? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That'd be writing a whole new book! LOL, here's what --do the changes since you've got him "on the hook."

Make sure the buyer only gets the rights to THAT version (ie, the new book).

Then put out the first book under a different name and sell it to someone else.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

http and a telephoto
    It's about 175 pages, which is a *short* novel, but the idea is to get you writing something substantial, and not necessarily have a *completed* novel. I know if I can sit down and get 50,000 words into a novel, I am pretty sure I would be inclined to finish it!!!

The whole idea is to kick start the procrastinator in us and do it in a big, supportive community of other procrastinators.

Make sense? LOL.
    Deborah Carney

I love to write, of course, but the words of Bobby Knight always ring in my ears ...

"Most people learn how to write in the first grade, then move on to something else."

I just signed up. This may be what I need to get those novels written that I've had running around in my head for years.

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vampyre:
    I just signed up. This may be what I need to get those novels written that I've had running around in my head for years. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's why I signed up Time to get them OUT and on paper!
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Hmmm...

I have a collection of short stories in my head based on events from my younger days. I might be able to tie them together.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I admit I do look at my navel from time to time but I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of. What exactly does that have to do with writing, anyway?

http and a telephoto
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by weisinator:
    Hmmm...

I have a collection of short stories in my head based on events from my younger days. I might be able to tie them together. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Worth a shot!!! Your sig is the perfect mantra for this challenge
    Deborah Carney

So, how is everyone doing on this so far. I'm behind, I'm only up to 3006 words.

http and a telephoto
    I'm behind also, but at least I got started. I am building pages today during the day and then I *will* set aside time tonight after the Thurday night lineup (the *only* night I watch tv from 8-11). I write best at night, so am tossing ideas in my head in the background today while I work

This is a bad month for this, but I guess what would be a good month??? lol.

So far a little over 1000 words and will check back tomorrow
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    I entered another contest instead. Nothing to do with writing, more of an engineering and asthetics thing. I figured I could promote one of my websites with the contest entry to boot.
    Dr. Strangeweb, or how I learned how to stop worrying about SERPS and love the WOM.

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    I've always loved writing (I know that may come as a surprise to many of you *BIG WINK* )... I wish I had the time to pursue something exciting like this! Unfortunately (or fortunately really), I am just so busy with so many other things (80% of which is running the Affiliate program for Rugman.com by the way), that I just don't have the time.

Still the subject line caught my eye and after reading the thread wanted to wish you all a whole lotta luck in your novel-writing adventures!

Keep us posted if one of you ends up a winner!!

I did it, got to 50168 words. Now to just set the novel aside, and come back to it in January to edit it.

http and a telephoto
    Yeehaa!!! Great Job!!

I didn't get anywhere close to 50,000, but have inspiration to try it again at a little slower time of year, like February
    Deborah Carney

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread