Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This is the 7th day I've gone free smoking. Hopefully I can continue my quest.

Way to go man!

One of the toughest thing I've done.

New years 2000 for me.

You are to the point now where you can guilt yourself for breaking down.

Just say to yourself "If I break down now all that sacrifice I made was for nothing".

Tell a bunch of people you hang out with as well. Then they can razz you for breaking down.

Commit yourself completely. You are over the hump as well.

Edited for sp.
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

dave, how long did it take you to get over the withdrawal period ?
    sometimes, i still crave for a zip or two.

The first month was the hardest, but I had the odd craving for a couple years.

Do you want to quit or do you have to quit?
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

I want to quit.

Anyway, what do you mean by odd craving ? Did ya get that when you were around ppl who smoked ?

ABW Ambassador
    I quit 5 years ago. Cravings come and go even after a few years. You just have to stay strong and do not go back to smoking.

I feel so much better now that I do not smoke. Those cravings can be there though. When you walk past someone who is smoking, the smell can be quite powerful.

Once you try to quit, you really should keep at it. It is well worth it.

WTG redsand!!!!

I heard if you can get past the first three days your ok as long as you never go back ... were the first three days hard?
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

RS, how did you do it? Did you quit at once, threw the pack away and said you never gonna smoke again or you just decreased it gradually?

I wanna quit too but dont know how to get rid of this thing.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    redsand stick with it, it is well worth the effort in the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I heard if you can get past the first three days your ok as long as you never go back ... were the first three days hard? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL - Haiko the first 7 months are the worst
    I still get the cravings when I do certain things

That's why I've not been posting here for a while, the cravings were worst when I sat at my PC. I used to get the urge to light up every 5 minutes or so. As far as possible I decided to avoid all situations which led to a craving. My sites have suffered as a consequence but I'm able to spend a few hours at a time without getting the urge now.

Guffster aims to be back fitter and stronger for 2005

I stopped for I think it was 61/2 years and to be honest the craving never stopped it just got ever so slightly more bearable.

Good luck to all you guys that are giving them up, if nothing else it will make a difference in your wallets
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guffy:
    I used to get the urge to light up every 5 minutes or so. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that, I have also noticed since I have gotten in to making pages and AM I am smooking more than ever before.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

More than 20 years here. It never goes away, but it gradually recedes into the background. I can go months without a craving, but then something will trigger it. It's very easy to resist now, but it's still there.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Exercise is helpful. Start a regular workout routine of aerobic exercise (long walks or jogging). This will take care of the "jitters"

For me it is:
    Every other day: 3.75 miles jogging
    Every other day: Split wood for 45 min or other physical household tasks (lawn mowing etc) to burn calories.

Do this AFTER your last meal at night and you have the added plus of keeping the fat off and keeping in shape.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Keep up the good work, I never smoked but my parents did. Nothing better to help you quit smoking than to do a google image search for lung cancer!!!

"Nothing better to help you quit smoking than to do a google image search for lung cancer!!!"

I will have to disagree on that part, those are the things for what I think I am still smoking.

I might explain it in more details later, for now I would like to keep on reading how others have quit smoking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    "Nothing better to help you quit smoking than to do a google image search for lung cancer!!!"

I will have to disagree on that part, those are the things for what I think I am still smoking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Please do explain.

Have a bag of carrot sticks handy. They give your hands something to do instead of smoking.

Hubby quit smoking 5 years ago and still gets the odd craving. He controls it by working around the yard or taking the dog for a walk to the ponds nearby.

I wish you all the best quitting and if ever you feel the urge to smoke, post an S.O.S and someone is bound to offer support to get you through the rough spots.
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

First, I would like to say to redsand, congratulations for deciding to quit smoking because you want to quit and not because you have to quit.

Redsand, even after you pick the worse month of the year to quit smoking, I know it could be done if you really have the strong desire to do it and don't cheat, not even on New Year's Eve, I know what I mean by that.

Every time that I have decided to quit, I normally pick the second week of January in order to avoid all of the pressure of the holidays party but, later I wind-up flicking my Bic again in less than three months later because of something or someone get on my nerves at the wrong moment and at the end, I wind-up smoking more than before I quit.

I don't know how long you have been smoking or how may pack's a day you smoke but, I believe that if you can make it through December without cheating not even once, then you will have more than 80% chance of being smoke free in 2005.

Good Luck.

Sal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    Please do explain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason I say that I disagree on that part is because, if every time that we decide to do something good for ourselves, we first have to look at a bad image of what might happen to us if we don't do what we have already decided to do, most of the time we just may quit before we even start, in order to avoid all of the negativity that we will probably will be listening to from those that are trying to help us, in case that we try and fail, because if we fail I know that then we will feel worse than before we even try it.

Sal.

More on this subject later.......

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats on quitting

I never smoked. Dad used too, got over by being layed up in the hospital for 6 months after a bad accident. Wouldn't recommend that route.

My grandpa got over it by carrying a cigarette in his pocket and whenever he got the urge, walked up to the mirror, took the cigarette out and looked in the mirror and asked himself "Who's tougher, me or the cigarette" He's tougher.

So stick with it, you'll live longer.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Sal:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJJay:
    Please do explain. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason I say that I disagree on that part is because, if every time that we decide to do something good for ourselves, we first have to look at a bad image of what might happen to us if we don't do what we have already decided to do, most of the time we just may quit before we even start, in order to avoid all of the negativity that we will probably will be listening to from those that are trying to help us, in case that we try and fail, because if we fail I know that then we will feel worse than before we even try it.

Sal.

More on this subject later....... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I admit I never smoked, why because I hated the f@#king smell of cigarette smoke. My father and Mother smoked their lungs off. The wallpaper and ceiling in our living room turned brown because of the tar/smoke of their cigarettes. I don't know how much damage I endured because of second hand smoke. My Father died of cancer when he was 36, I was 13 when he died, my youngest brother was 5, my youngest brother has no memories of my Father, he's now 24 and asks for recollections of the Father he never knew.

Please explain yourself better and also explain the following, "congratulations for deciding to quit smoking because you want to quit and not because you have to quit." Isn't living enough of a reason. I assume Redsand has kids and I hope that his quitting smoking will give him many many many more years to enjoy with his kids. For me its plain and simple if you don't want to quit smoking for yourself at least quit smoking for the people who love you.

Thanks guys for the all the kind words and supports. The first week, especially those first 2 days were the toughest part on quiting smoking. Once you can get those first few days syndrome, things will get a lot easier.

JJJay,

First thing first, we're talking about quitting and to answer your question (Isn't living enough of a reason?) At first glance I would say no, living Isn't enough of a reason but, once you include other matters into that question, then trying to live a litter longer may be a good reason.

Sal.

Here is where I stand about the smoking and not smoking issue.

---------
    It's Your Life, but before you light up your first cigarette, you may want read below and then decide.

If you have never smoke in your life, don't even try it for the first time, not even once, under any circumstance, you might become addicted and suffer the consequences of that first cigarette later in life and by then some damage may have already been done to your body, your health, your family, your friends, your pocketbook and even your sex life.

If you have never smoke in your life, there is no guarantee that you will live any longer than someone else that smoke but, there it's a 100% guarantee that all the years that you're alive on this planet, would be healthier, cleaner and less stressful than if you are a smoker and all the money that you would save if you never smoke in your life, well... that too but, that's irrelevant.

Now, if you smoke any other legal or illegal crap don't be a hypocrite and say that you don't smoke and then try to give a hard time to people that do indeed smoke regular cigars or cigarettes because the smoke or the odor bother you. There is not an, I only smoke this or I only smoke that, you're a nonsmoker or someone who smoke.

---------------------

Reasons for not to start smoking but, if you're already a smoker trying to quit, the same reasons apply.

Health
    People that don't smoke are in better general health than those who smoke.

Sex
    People that don't smoke have a better sex life and their kids are born more healthier than from those who smoke.

Odor
    People that don't smoke smell better ***** (there must be an exception clause here because previous sentence is not always is true and some non-smokers really are worse in that area.) ***** than those who smoke.

The Home
    The home of people that don't smoke are cleaner ***** (there must be an another exception clause here because previous sentence is not always is true and some non-smokers homes really are worse in that area.) ***** than the home of those who smoke.

The Car
    Same as the home above.

The Clothes
    Same as the odor above but, usually the clothes of those who smoke have more tiny holes on it.

Ok, enough already with those examples.

--------------------

We the people that smoke, have some or all of this problems listed below.

At least once we all have burned something by accident with a cigarette or while trying to light a cigarette and some even have burned their house by fallen sleep while smoking or careless smoking.
    At least once we all have burned our spouse, friend or anyone near by.
    At least once we all have burned our clothes.
    At least once we all have burned our carpet.
    At least once we all have burned our bed.
    At least once we all have burned our furniture.
    At least once we all have burned our fingers.
    At least once we all have burned our lips.
    At least once we all have burned our eyes.

And whether we like it or not, in the nose of those that don't smoke, whether they tell us or not.... We All Smokers, Stink.

I can't argue with that, because that is the truth but, if they have animals living inside of their home, specially cat's, then I will try to defend myself, if that fail and or they don't have animals, but they really get me mad, I only leave then with this line.... Yea right I do but, how many smokers would take in order to mach the aroma you leave in the bathroom every time you take a number two. :-)

-----------------

And for those that want to Quit Smoking, that would be one of the best decisions you can make in your life and if you're doing it because you want to and not because you have to, I believe that you will succeed faster.

Me, I want to quit and probably one day soon I will try again, I know all the benefits of quitting smoking and I have seeing many examples in people I know, but for whatever reason I decide to quit smoking, it will not be because fear of dying or just because I might live a few more years on this life if I quit now.

To all of the people that decide to Quit Smoking for whatever reason they decide to quit, Good Luck and when you are finally a non-smoker again, just remember not to treat those that still smoking, as a second class citizen.

Sal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast