We currently have digital cable and would like to some advice about possible recorders for recording TV shows. Don't know much about the technology. What are the pros and cons, costs, etc. of:

(A) Tivo (not sure what it costs),
    (B) Local Cable DVR box (Time Warner - about $7/mo extra), or
    (C) Buy a DVD recorder from Best Buy (or other store. (can you hook-up and record digital cable transmissions with a store-bought DVD recorder?)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
    Ken

Sorry, I meant to post that in the Virtual Family forum. If a moderator wants to switch it over, that OK.
    ken

The TIVO box cost 199.99 and will cost you 13 dollars a month

The DVR box from your cable company will replace your current cable box so you won't incure an additional charge for the DVR box but you will have to pay the leaseing fee for it as if it were the regular cable box and I beleive cable companies charge 9.95 for their DVR service.

Basically they are the same thing.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Hello Ken,

Get Tivo. Start getting used to it as I'm sure you will switch from cable to satelite as soon as cable fees go up, which have just been approved to Time Warner.

With sateliate Tivo works better and also is digital ready. Have not met anyone with a Tivo complain, yet.

I have Time Warner DVR and I love it. It costs me an additional $7 per month. It's also the high definition box so I'm getting all the high definition channels now without having to pay extra for them.
    My father has TIVO and he really likes it, but his only complaint is the remote was poorly designed.
    Another thing to keep in mind about TIVO is that in March 2005 they will start serving pop-up ads. TiVo Pop-Up Ads Raise Consumer Concerns

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by emione:
    Another thing to keep in mind about TIVO is that in March 2005 they will start serving pop-up ads. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm just a dual VCR kinda guy for now (and the foreseeable future) but TIVO would be out on the sidewalk toot sweet if I had them and if they popped an ad on my paid subscription to them.

Though I don't speak from any experience, it seems to me that going the local hard drive route without an extra subscrption fee is more palatable - the options will be wide and varied in the coming 2-3 years, but pop-up ads?

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    TiVo is slipping further and further under the thumb of the MPAA and the TV networks. Pretty soon the fast forward button will be disabled when adverts are airing.

Get yourself a Linux box, and download the DVR software for it.

I love our TIVO - hope those upcoming pop-up ads are kid friendly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The big shots are only the little shots who keep shooting.
    -Christopher Morley

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread