Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    What is a good goal when just starting out? I am launching my site this weekend and just wanted to set up some goals for myself. I know it's hard to say without seeing the website, but what would you all say in general?

It depends on how much time you have.

I assume you sill be setting financial goals!

If you do they are linked to how good your content is and how much traffic you get. Also conversion rates particularly if you are going to go for PPC.

Set goals to achive adding content, improving conversion, getting links, etc and the money will come automatically.

I started with the goal of making $5 a day from one site. This site now averages $100 per day and I have a number of others.

Make it a goal to finish anything you start. it is all too easy to get side tracked. I have a number of sites of which 5 are unfinished. I I finished them and did not start other projects I would probably make another $50-$200 per day quite easily.

Make your goals specific and measurable. Most importantly put a time scale on them. Remember the 80/20 rule as well.

Hope this helps.

I've just had a look at you site and all the is is the directory strucute. This is not good. I would put up a simple holding page asap.

R

Start small and set yourself realistic goals.

Set goals with regards to driving traffic first and then ways to convert them.

what is your website anyways ?

Set a goal of making a site that is truly useful to visitors. If you can do that, everything else is easier. People will bookmark the site and tell their friends. People will link to the site. Merchants will want to be included. It will grow organically.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

send you a PM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    that's my2cents, 'cuz I'm a legend in my own mind....

Making Affiliate Marketing FUN!
    Oops...the directory page is now up....the host was just setting up my account today...so i will have to change that. My site is a site about LDS (mormon) culture...movies,music,genealogy links,dating, etc.

It is nearing completetion and is mostly a content site with affiliate links put where it makes sense, and a few google adsense ads. It is meant to appear more as a informational site than a site trying to sell things. I have already set the goal of constantly adding quality content, but i still need a realistic financial goal...i'll post my site in a few days...get ready to tear it apart! LOL
    [edited to add] How do you check PM's on this forum? For some reason I can't find it...and please don't laugh....:-)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Set a goal of making a site that is truly useful to visitors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bullroar! We aren't in the public service industry.

Set a goal to make a site that will actually sell stuff and make you some money!

If that means schmoozing the customer, for you, fine. But, don't do it without keeping in mind that the one and only reason you did all that work to get the guy there in the first place was so that he would click over to the merchant site and buy stuff.

If that doesn't happen all you have is a hobby site and a vanity piece. Not saying that they can't be popular and get all kinds of links but if it doesn't result in sales or at least adsense income, it is a hobby and not much else. And, what the heck, hobby sites usually do have some links sprinkled in that they hope will generate the occasional click to the merchant but they don't earn the money you need to be paid for your time.

Selling stuff is your goal.
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    What Ssanf said. It's the same thing I've said for ages! The *point* of being in BUSINESS is to make money.

The goal is To Make Money whether via sales, AdSense clicks, or even--if all else fails--CPM ads.

Sales--&gt;Site should get people to decide to buy whatever you're pushing. And, when you sell stuff, you WANT the people to beat it off of your site (and over to the merchant's), because until they beat it they're not buying anything!!! Any person who thinks that a sales site should be very sticky, needs to remind themselves that the Almighty Commission-Generating Shopping Cart is NOT on their own site!

Yet it's good if you can get the people to come back to your site to go through your links every time they want to shop.

Basically you want to be like a toll booth on a parkway: The people drive by every day and stop at your booth every time like clockwork--but each time they only stay long enough to drop their money into the chute! So you want to be nice and convenient--and, like a parkway, preferably the ONLY decent findable road to Product X--but you DON'T want to entertain the people. Keep those cars moving!

One note--the people do need to stay long enough to read your pitch, so they get "primed" to buy. Many merchants can't convert raw traffic very well. Do take time to set the mood and encourage a buying mindset, to increase your Conversion Ratio (and therefore your earnings).

Needless to say, it's hard to be the Only Findable Road in any category with any competition, but a nice high ranking in the search engines is a way to become the major thoroughfare. If the SE street sign tells people "take this exit" and YOU'RE that exit...chaching

BTW it is "no fair" to divert traffic by putting tacks on all the other roads (by using parasiteware).

AdSense--&gt;On sites where the main revenue source is AdSense, people should want to click for more alternatives. And the AdSense IS the alternative. It seems to work to provide some information. Just not all of it!

It also usually works great to slap AdSense on Sales pages. The visitors who don't buy, can drop their money down that *other* chute... For some categories, the sales make more money. But for others, they DON'T! If you have some low-EPC loser merchant on, let the AdSense roll along with them.

CPM--&gt;Traditional content site fodder. Banners, pay-per-impression. Pay-per-imp pop-ups/unders. That kind of thing. This money is from people looking at pages and pages of YOUR site and NOT going away much! This strategy is diametrically opposite to that of selling stuff, to the point of actually being hostile to it. IMO it's best to keep CPM-financed sites/sections seperate from sales sections. You won't get too far if you're trying to make people stay, while trying to get them to leave, all at the same time! It'd be like trying to drive forward and in reverse all at once.

So, I guess the first goal is to determine how you want to monetize the site. And then set it up to support that strategy.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Pay attention to the advice given from Leader (a must!) and others and you will start rolling dough!

Good luck!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

Hi! I have a site that is similar to what you are wanting to do - it does quite well and it also makes money.

Because of the content I never have to ask for links and the search engines treat me kindly.

My best advice - be prepared for it to take time to get your site going. Work on adding content and the traffic and links will come. (yes this takes time but it is worth it in the long run)

I think there are some LDS specific directories and search engines where you can submit your site. Don't forget the various Christian search engines and directories too. (this will help get the ball rolling for the type of traffic interested in your site)

Run some ads alongside your content. Later you can add a "store" section to your site.

Google adsense is great for these kinds of sites. I wouldn't join the Genealogy affiliate programs - you can do better with Google Adsense.

Amazon is also good - lots of books, movies, kitchen stuff, etc to choose from.

When you get ready to work with different merchants - Share a Sale and Commission Junction are good Networks because they add up the commission from all the merchants into one check. Makes it a lot easier to get paid when you are starting out.

Remember, this is the kind of site that gets bookmarked and has repeat visitors - if you have good, original content. Keep it homey and comfortable for your audience.

Good Luck!!
    Ebudae

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    hobby sites ... don't earn the money you need to be paid for your time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, mine does
    Ebudae

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Pay attention to the advice given from Leader (a must!) and others and you will start rolling dough! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmmm, If i wanted to **work** as a chef or in a restaurant, I'd get a real **JOB**.

The bravest man alive!

With shotgun, machete and hundreds of knifes and fish hooked, he is very brave!

What COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commission
    Don't worry tracking is Infected

Live life to the fullest, You only get 1 chance. Enjoy it while you can... Nothing last forever!

There are many ways to skin a cat. "Service Industry" sites could get vast traffic and build a selling side off the back of it. You need selling pages to make money, but it doesn't need to be a totally selling site.

Entertainment means good stickiness, good stickiness can be converted to good sales, though not every one can do it.

Spend most of your time doing what you are uniquely good at.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What is a good goal when just starting out? I am launching my site this weekend and just wanted to set up some goals for myself. I know it's hard to say without seeing the website, but what would you all say in general?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't forget to start with something you enjoy. You'll find that it'll be easier to achieve your goals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Set a goal of making a site that is truly useful to visitors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bullroar! We aren't in the public service industry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>And that's where we differ. If you want repeat business and free publicity, you better be providing a useful service.

Of course selling a product is essential, too, but it seems like most people forget that you need to provide a service.

Look at Ebay. Pierre built a site that provided a service. I think it's been a success.

Look at Google. Sergey and Larry built a site that provided a service. I think it's been a success.

You can make a lot of money with PPC, with mall sites, with cookie cutter datafeed sites, etc., but if you don't provide something truly useful to the end user, you're going to be continually struggling to keep it going.

On the other hand, if you create something that is truly useful to your visitors (as I said in my first post): "Everything else is easier. People will bookmark the site and tell their friends. People will link to the site. Merchants will want to be included. It will grow organically."
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    "What is a good goal when just starting out?"

I have a simple goal that is just not for starting out. To make progress each month, no matter how little as long as you're going in the right direction. Progress meaning $$$. When first starting out you might take some SE hits so it might not happen every month. But after years of doing this i look at month this year vs. month last year and it should be more if you're doing things right.

Congratulations on starting out and asking for assistance here, you'll find a lot of help and insight. Good luck, and hope to see your goal list next december! Keep researching and trying

fawn
    fawn.portugal@fastfind.com

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread