Does anyone else get nervous when a news article with your name and site mentioned is about to come out I'm not nervous about making money, it's a content site with a few adds posted. I get a little nervous as to what the article will say. The same thing happened last year when my site was going to get a small plug. Normally just a small paragraph if even that. Still gets kind of exciting

I think I'm more nervous this time because it is my local paper where people who actualy know me will read it and see my ugly site . The journalist called a few times tonight just to make sure he had things right. He mentioned that he thought their papers circulation was about 120,000 - 130,000. Anyone from experience have any idea how many of them will turn into visitors???
    The Answer to the New York Tax Law - Repeal, REPEAL, REPEAL -

Camping Gear and Equipment

When my site was plugged in this NJ paper That week traffic was up about 5% nothing major. But when I get cneted I get sometimes to much traffic. I like to get cnetted or slashdotted more.

Mikey,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But when I get cneted I get sometimes to much traffic. I like to get cnetted or slashdotted more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    cnetted? slashdotted? Is that articles from the web?

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    What paper?

Just a local Yocal paper DFL. You should see it though.

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Uh-oh, now everyone's gonna run out and buy up all the Syracuse papers.

Well I wish you luck, DP but I wouldn't count on huge traffic from an article in print. One of my pages was listed in a national magazine and I never even knew it! I'd never have known about it if a friend hadn't spotted it and phoned to let me know. Looking over my logs I saw no significant increase in traffic the month the magazine came out.

I suspect that folks don't run to their PC to type in an URL they've seen in print as readily as they'll click on a link in a newsletter or website. But since you're a local character, er, I mean personage, perhaps you'll have better results!

Let us know what happens!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DaPackster:
    Mikey,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But when I get cneted I get sometimes to much traffic. I like to get cnetted or slashdotted more. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    cnetted? slashdotted? Is that articles from the web? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah when Cnets news.com or Slashdot.org post articles from my site I tend to get more traffic then I do if my site was mentioned in a paper or television.

Gotcha Mikey I agree that it would be a lot more easier if your already on the comp. Plus Cnet.com has a ton to send besides. I'm pretty sure the article will be online also with a link. One good thing is once on paper writes about it, a few normally follow within a few weeks. USA picked it up once but I really didn't see what I expected to see from it.

Rhea, thanks for the well wishes. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But since you're a local character, er, I mean personage, perhaps you'll have better results! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I see ya know me I should definately see a pretty good jump in traffic just because of the content type is localized so it should be of some interest to some of the readers. As for making money, I don't know if the site has ever made a penny, lol. Kind of a get away from the other stuff site and relax. I'll let ya's know how the traffic turned out.

I got in a national paper ere, and it generated all of 14 hits. Woohoo!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

The Houston Chronicle did an article on one of my sites back in 99, before the whole world was on the Internet. I didn't even know it until the phone started ringing. Got a boost in traffic but considering how large the circulation of the paper is, I would have been real dissapointed at the response if it had been for a paid ad. Still it was fun.

Jane, I agree it is fun

The article was better than I thought it would be. Normally I'll get a little paragraph about the site and the content in an article. This time the article was probably 90% based on the interview I had with the journalist which was pretty cool. Ya kknow it's a good article when the first 2 words of it start with your name

As far as traffic is concerned, I use awstats for my stats and I normally don't see the true stats until the next day. I added a counter to the site and as of this morning it looked to be about 50 visitors an hour give or take a bit. Most of which would be from the article because the site is based on the weather and when the weather is dead, so is the site.

Another thing is the voting poll that I have on the site is getting more votes than I expected which is great. I still won't make any money but like Jane said, it is fun and the phone has been ringing On another good note, another journalist from the AP called this morning for an interview so it will be interesting to see how that one goes Maybe I'll call him back and tell him to plug one of my shopping sites in the article

About 3 years ago the first site I built a tech site, was mentioned in an article on Zdnet (Computer mag publisher) and my site was flooded with traffic. This was before I got into affiliate marketing and only had links up to related books from Amazon. Well from thoose few links I actualy sold some books and a new affiliate marketer was born.

It really depends on the placement and the prominence of the mention. I've had various sites mentioned dozens of times in the press. Sometimes it's great exposure (a good sized article almost exclusively about my site, above the fold on the front page of a section of a major newspaper) and sometimes it's minor (a one sentence blurb on a busy page near the back of a major magazine).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Traffic has slowed down a bit now but The Associated Press's story from the interview this morning just hit the wires about an hour ago. A few other papers picked up the story without destroying the content All of them listing the site name. A local tv station also picked up the story and took all the info about me out of it, lmao. They did give a link to the site though. What a blast this is even if I'm not making any money

Packy:

Congrats on the free pub!

We get mentioned in daily newspapers every day and are extremely pleased with the results.

Karl, Thanks Your site should be mentioned daily, it's always been one of my favorites

All in all yesterday received about 300 more visitors than normal. Today's carry over looks to be about 100 so far. Like I mentioned previously, this site I don't think has ever had a sale to my knowledge but it did receive about 40 clickthroughs to merchant sites which was pretty impresive to me. I think the best that came out of it was that over 25% bookmarked the site so repeat traffic on certain days will be higher than it has been in the past It's just a fun site to keep up and yesterday it was fun

ABW Ambassador
    Cool Packy

It's nice just knowing you have a site that someone would want to write about or do a story on.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread