Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The BBC is reporting a massive underwater earthquake has hit southern Asia leaving thousands dead in Sri Lanka, India, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia and Burma. The earthquake had magnitude 8.9 and created waves of up to 30 feet/10 meters.

I know a lot of ABWers live in this area, or have friend or family living there. I know Phuket got hit by 16 foot waves and there have been casualties there.

Grim news. I'm sure the thoughts of all ABWers will be with those who have been affected.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi All

We have one AM living in Phuket, Richard who runs hostdeal, not heard from him yet, but no doubt communications have been pretty much levelled.

Local TV coverage is still pretty poor, depending on Thai Expat forums for updates, the islands have yet to have any info come in, Phi Phi is a huge destination for Christmas, rumour has it that between 60- 80 divers may be trapped in an under water cave, but no proof as most dive boats are unaccounted for at this time.

Phuket has been hit hard as has Krabi, lots of structural damage, boats sunk, cars tossed way up the roads etc.

Official head count is about 240 dead in Thailand so far but who knows how many were washed out to sea or lost on the islands resorts yet... it's a total disaster..

Don't expect any of our staff other than Richard have been effected as it's not a holiday weekened here and most people are in Bangkok this weekend.

Richard our prayers are with you and your family , let us know your okay!

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

I've just seen this on the news,
    I'm stuck for words, I just hope the present casualty figures are greatly exagerated but I fear they are not.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Horrible shocking natural disaster. I'm Direct TV channel news surfing and checking out the internet news sites for updates. Over 8700 dead and rising...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    Chris,

Glad to know you and most WSOers are okay.

the toll here in india is about 3000 people right now and rising everytime I'm looking at the news channel...

The entire east cost is panicked and shaken, nothing here on the west cost though.
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

Animal Lover
    I was stunned to see the pictures of the devastation.

Prayers are with all those affected.

Oscar
    My DataFeed Scripts - php datafeed scripts for your site
    Shareasale datafeed scripts - to display Shareasale datafeeds
    Linkshare datafeed scripts - for multiple Linkshare merchants

The BBC is reporting 10,000 dead now

It's a sobering thought that despite all our cleverness as human beings, we're still essentially powerless against things like this.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Just saw this on the news too.

I know there are many here from that area.

I hope all is well with ABW friends and affiliates.

Chris - glad to hear you are ok - I was wondering about you and the family!

Hoping for the best for our other members in the area!!
    Ebudae

These figures are just heartbreaking.

I feel so helpless, I just hope the Goverments from the more fortunate places in the world can come together and do something useful and meaningful for these poor peoples.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It's a sobering thought that despite all our cleverness as human beings, we're still essentially powerless against things like this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> There is nothing so strong as nature. If only humanity would concentrate on trying to live together happily as one race instead of trying to invent yet more methods and excuses for destroying each other. We will never beat nature but I'm sure if the brains of this world all worked together they could make it a much safer place for all.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Chris I'm so glad you and the family are okay and hope Richard is somewhere safe.

I've friends, a mum and her two little girls holidaying in Indonesia and pray they're okay.

There hasn't been any word from them.
    They were going on to the Philippines so I just hope and pray they left early and we can make contact them today.

There was an undersea earthquake measuring 8.1 between Tasmania and the Antartica a couple of days ago and I was so praying another wouldn't manifest in Asia but...they usually do and it did.

Prayers to all with family and friends in the affected areas.

Well the morning doesn't bring better news, I think it's only going to get worse the papers only have updates from last night and the main expat forums remain the core sorces for updates and latest reports from people on the spot.

We have a couple of family friends down in Phuket for the holidays, my wife is pretty frantic calling round everyone she knows to check that everyone is okay, not everything is good though. Staff aren't in yet but I'm expecting a very sober turn out.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and best wishes.

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

ABW Ambassador
    I hope Richard is ok. Glad to here Chris and the WSO are ok.

That was shocking news.

I had my helper on home leave due to come back from Indonesia yesterday.
    She was delayed, but thankfully, she is safe here with us.

The nightmare continues, 23,000 dead and the waters are still receeding at 10.30pm Aussie time.
    It's hearbreaking to hear the stories emerging. Unless they get a lot of help now there is the very real danger of an epidemic and even more deaths to add to the nightmare.

The Aussie Govt has set up $10M in initial emergency funds, planes with provisions are on the way and other countries will be helping with this disaster but it's going to take an enormous amount to help these people rebuild their lives.

Please everyone donate something to the relief agencies. Many of these countries were already hurt by the terrorism threat...now this.

On a happy and very thankful note my friends made it to the Philippines safely.

OMG! I just saw these news and I am speechless. It seems like the end of the world. I am watching the news and they are reporting tens of thousands of victims. It is just horrible.

Chris, I am glad you are OK and hope everyone else from that region is OK.
    Alex
    AlexBet.com - Professional Website Design, Website Development, Mobile App Development!

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"
    Benjamin Franklin

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Such a horrible thing, I can't even imagine it. I don't want to.

Is there an equivalent of the Red Cross in India, Indonesia and the other affected countries where we could send donations?

You can donate to the American Red Cross (in the US) or your local Red Cross/Red Crescent organisation. The money you donate that way will be spent on the international rescue effort which is in full swing.

So many countries have been so generous but this is a massive disaster.
    You can donate to:
    The Australian Red Cross donations to its Asia quake and tsunamis appeal tsunamis appeal can be made at its website at http://www.redcross.org.au or at your local redcross office.

Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is preparing to provide emergency assistance to people affected by the disaster. MSF is readying a full charter of relief supplies for the area of Indonesia closest to the epicentre of the earthquake
    http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Donations to UNICEF can be made by visiting its website at http://www.unicef.org.au

Now the death toll is being reported at 24,000, factor in the hurt and millions homeless and we have a massive disaster.

There have been more quakes recorded today (4.5-5.0) in New Britian PNG,Northern California.
    If you are interested in seismic activity visit
    http://www.iris.edu/seismon/

Let's hope our fragile earth settles down soon and this nightmare ends.

http and a telephoto
    I came to ABW today looking to see if Chris et al were ok, I hope we hear from Richard soon!!! I hate to think of anyone in harms way.

And to think that earlier in the day we thought the worst that could happen was the death of football great Reggie White. It wasn't a very good day after Christmas!!!!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I heard about this on the 6 o'clock news.
    I couldn't believe the devastation they showed...and the number of victims keep rising!

It's just horrible!
    Never argue with an idiot.
    The person watching, may not be able to tell the difference!

:female: :star: :envelope: [url="http://www.bridalbasics.ca/"]:weddingca[/url]

Heard from Richard today, he and his family are fine

Thailand is getting a lot of media coverage due to the number of tourists that are here. However Sri Lanka, Andaman Islands, Indonesia and India have all be hit a lot harder. Burma the news is scant but there are major worries about the Burmese Sea Gypsies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> et's hope our fragile earth settles down soon and this nightmare ends. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe the Earth has had enough.

Chris

Tsunami death toll reaches 22,000
    Well, it shows that the death toll has reached 22,000 but it's being unofficial. Iam hearing from different news channel some says 50,000 , some reports 5,000 but I am sure it is no more than millions have died.

It's like sea shells merged in the sea.
    Let us contribute something for this devastration and if we can do something for them.

Happy to hear that Chris and most WSOers are doing fine.

ABW Ambassador
    The Red Cross in Singapore is also collecting contributions to help them. I think you could contact the Red Cross in your country to see if you can help with contributions.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Official Pole is upto 55,175 with certain Islands in the epi-center area not even reached by rescue workers. Most likely no one alive there to respond to radio calls.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

God help these poor people.
    They say it's 60,000 and could be over 100,000.
    I can't believe the enormity of the disaster....and the threat of disease creeps closer.

Many of us have enjoyed holidaying in these countries and the hospitality of the beautiful people, please help with even a few dollars.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast