for a mall type site is it better to use multiple databases for each datafeed/merchant or to try to incorporate all of them into one database?

speed/efficiency/ease of use/server load/etc all in consideration here.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm having good results in using a large number of (relatively) small Access databases on a single site. The main shopping site is about maxed out with about 200 megs of DB files. The ASP pages load quickly and I haven't seen a database call timeout yet. Putting some newer ones on some other sites now until I decide on the best plans for the future.

When I started this site, I created a single db with a table for each merchant I used then. The ASP pages created by the various tables loaded fast enough but maintenance was a problem as the file took almost a half hour to upload over cable. All new merchant feeds since were uploaded as separate databases, though this does bloat the overall bytes. I've stripped out most of the original tables into stand-alone files.

I don't yet know the best route to take. I may be rolling all this into a new SQL server sometime in the future but for now, multiple Access files seems to work just fine.

My biggest database problem has been not with merchant feeds but with the huge amount of data I store for my book review site, with review and interview links for more than 30,000 titles. When traffic started to hit about 1000/day my inexperience started to shine through and file calls would timeout or the whole show would crash. The lesson learned was to tighten up the code, make the SQL statements efficient, and close all the damn connections when through.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Raw data feeds loaded in separately, conversion programs converting them into one format.

Chet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chez Noir:
    Raw data feeds loaded in separately, conversion programs converting them into one format.

Chet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chet,

What do you suggest for a good conversion program?

Allen

ABW Ambassador
    I write my own for each new merchant.

I only pull the products I want for each site, convert categories to standardize them etc. For a new merchant, it takes me about 30 minutes to make the changes to scripts used for other merchants.

Chet

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread