Advice Wanted - Windows XP Home or Pro?
    I'm looking to purchase a notebook for use a secondary PC. It would primarily be used for checking email, surfing and some word processing/spreadsheet use. MS Office will be installed.

My desktop - the primary PC - has Windows XP installed. I've got a wireless router on my desk, but do not have a home network and currently have no plans to set one up.

My question is how important is it to get a laptop with XP Pro? Will having the better OS make a difference when I'm trying to use the PC outside of the house (e.g. when I'm travelling)?

If it helps, I'm looking for 512k in RAM, a 40 gig harddrive (or bigger) and a 14/15" screen. Installed software will prob be Mozilla, MS Office, FrontPage, and maybe one or two other programs (e.g. Acrobat, Publisher, etc). Weight will be under seven pounds - my wife wants something light.

TIA.

Thanks in advance.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    This is the easiest question I can answer all day.

I have been to many homes with XP and XP Pro, and people with Pro hate it. I have seen the slow crawling computers because people have decided to upgrade because they were told it was better.

There is no major diff unless you are in an office setting and will have 3 or more computers connected or want to have remote access and share files to and from other users, will create domains and create and Intranet, there is no need for Pro.

You will also run very slow in about six months, when you start installing all those programs, unless you have a P4, 2Gig or higher.

2000 Pro ... stable and cheap ... cheack out the big O auctions, a member (forgot which one) got it for like $25 last week.

BTW I will not use a windoze OS that is not at least three years old - stability is key for me ... Michelle has XP and it's a POS.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

get XP home if you like little to no control over the operating system
    get XP Pro if you want more freedom to control the OS
    as for stability between XP and Home they're the same crap but one gives you less freedom then the other. XP Home = XP Dumb
    Things you can not do in XP Home:
    No access to services.msc
    No access to gpedit.msc
    No access to systeminfo via cmd prompt
    You also will have difficulties joining a network with XP home.

If you want extreamly stable go with Windows 2003 more stable and secure by far over Windows 2000 and XP.

I second windows 2000 pro, cheaper, faster, cleaner and I have had only 3 or 4 crashes in over 2 years. I had XP home hated it.

edited to add: I have been using 2000 pro for about 3 years now and have never had an virus. If you know what you are doing and use common sense, you should not have a security problem with 2000 pro. I also would like to use 2003 but it costs an arm and a leg, and it is really meant as server software.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Get yourself an iBook.

That way you get parasite/virus protection as well, wihtout having to use add-on's.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had no problems with XP Home. But then, I haven't tried to access those things that HardwareGeek mentioned. As long as all my software runs, I'm cool...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I've had no problems with XP Home. But then, I haven't tried to access those things that HardwareGeek mentioned.
    You are better than me Leader I could not even find the things he mentioned.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

Windows XP Home or Pro?
    One thing XP Pro has is IIS so if you want to run a small web server on your laptop e.g. to test php pages then you need Pro and not home.

Mind you if that is the case then maybe the 2000 is a better value bet anyway.

Les

PS XP needs loads of RAM to perform well so if you can affford it I would buy another 512 to make 1Gb as memory is much cheaper now than it was a year or so back

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon
    You are better than me Leader I could not even find the things he mentioned.
    Click Start Button > Click Run > type in one of the things I listed. except system info.
    Foy that one you need to:
    Click Start button> Clck Run> type cmd > hit enter
    at the prompt type systeminfo

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread