JJ Kent bans all Adwords advertising
    From an email sent on the 19th:

"As most of us know, Google has changed their policy on Adwords in regards to multiple listings for same domains. Here at JJ Kent we have always engaged in our own efforts on PPC search and have coupled our listings with affiliate’s efforts to dominate the most popular charm terms. Due to this change, we are asking all affiliates to terminate any of their efforts on Google."

Oh well, first merchant I can expire myself I guess! I guess they'll be seeing their EPC dip even lower than the post xmas depths it's at now too. I'm happy just so long as none of my top performers start forcing stuff like this.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I guess they didn't want any competition from affiliate web sites.
    Happened to me with a different merchant as well.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by christh
    I'm happy just so long as none of my top performers start forcing stuff like this.
    One of my top merchants just implemented a similar policy in the last week. You'll see the frequency of these policy changes pick up as a result of the new Google affiliate policy.

ABW Ambassador
    I don't understand why they would ban affiliates that have their own landing
    page. I can understand why they wouldn't want an affiliate to link direct to their
    site, because Adwords does not give preferential treatment to either the merchant
    or an affiliate, and if an affiliate is linking direct to the merchant and has a higher
    ad rank than the merchant, their ad will show and the merchants will not. But why
    not just ban ads linking direct to their site, but still allow affiliates to link to their
    own landing page where they promote the merchant? Have they completely banned
    all advertising on ADwords whether a direct link to the merchant or to a landing
    page?

ABW Ambassador
    That was just part of the email i believe. They were just talking about sending traffic directly to them via PPC. You can still send traffic to your site first.

Well, I only posted because these guys were the first company I deal with that have sent out an AdWords ultimatum. Not particularly meaning to single them out. I wonder how it'll work out for them - if they believe they can cover all keywords that their affiliates could think of then good luck to them. They're wrong of course, but good luck.

ABW Ambassador
    That's with all merchants now, not just them. Can't send traffic directly to the merchant, just make a landing page. I remember reading the email this morning and if i remember correctly that's all they were saying. If you still have the email, post the whole thing.

Actually rereading your first post:
    "Google has changed their policy on Adwords in regards to multiple listings for same domains."

Talking about direct to merchant PPC.
    Last edited by Trust; January 21st, 2005 at 06:26 PM. Reason: edit

"any of their efforts on Google."

What about organic search on Google?
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

Sorry--misunderstood. Nevermind.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread