Notebook Heat Levels
    For those of you who use notebooks, do most them get warm on the bottom?

I just bought a Dell Inspirion 1150 and it gets warm on the bottom. Not burning hot, but very warm. Is this common among most Windows notebooks?

I'm asking because I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or get a different model/brand. Alternatives would be HP, Compaq and Toshiba. I'd love to get a ThinkPad, but need to keep the price under $900 (under $750 would be preferable).

TIA.

All of the ones I've had have been warm. Some are even hot in places.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    My Dell laptop gets hot on the bottom too.

I think it is normal.
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

My dell runs pretty hot too.... often not hot enough to run the fan though! My mother in law owns a Dell and she has had 2 fans replaced in hers.... thats not cool ~ no pun intended

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    very normal.

But be careful, if too hot you will run into problems with battery and you will start seeing auto reboots.

Seen this happen with many diff brands

Thanks for the responses. Is there anything that can be done about the heat, for instance are there pads or something that can be bought to protect one's lap from being warmed?

I'm presumming that these things do not ever get hot enough to melt something or otherwise pose a hazard other than potential discomfort.

TJ/Michelle which Dell models do you own?

I think mine is an Inspiron 2600

You could try something like this http://www.roadtools.com/

yeah its noraml for them to get warm on the bottom.
    My ibook gets warm on the top bottom left hand corner

I've had 3 different toshiba laptops until now. And they all got hot after a while. It's written in the manual that you have to be careful not to burn yourself with it. It's best that you use it on a desk, if you have the possibility. But they all are the same I guess...

Had a Dell notebook back in '95 and it actually left a mark (still there) on my right thigh from all the heat ever since have used 6 different IBMs and all get warm. The one thing guys should know about, and I'm serious, is that the heat and also pressure of your legs adjusting to hold up the notebook affects sperm count because of the increased heat in that area.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Most of the ones I've had over the years get hot and my current one gets hot.

Be careful though: laptop heat can affect male fertility.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

I saw a thing at Best Buy that you set your notebook on and it has a special fan to keep it cool.
    Ebudae

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Angry Watch Out For The Heat!
    Go to http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/...18884%2C00.asp
    For Information on the Heat Risk to Men
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

haiko you should sue dell, some guy did and won millions

My laptop stays cool as long as it is ventilated on the bottom. Works best on a hard flat surface (like a desk). But, if I use the laptop on my lap or set it on my bed, it gets very hot. The soft fabric closes up the vents on the bottom.

I have an Averatec ($700 from Wal-mart - cheap, but it has everything I need and I love it!).

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    The one thing guys should know about, and I'm serious, is that the heat and also pressure of your legs adjusting to hold up the notebook affects sperm count because of the increased heat in that area.
    My wife's OB/GYN has banned me from bike ridding, saunas, steam boths, heated whirlpools and briefs (don't worry, I'm wear boxers). I'm sure laptops would be on the list as well. Of course, if you're single and having alot of fun, you will want to make sure that you're doing everything that I can't.

I was just at Circuit City. I was pretty amazed to see how almost all of the laptops there get hot in place or another on the bottom. I did not notice that any brand was particularly hotter, though some of the Compaq's had noticeably warmer keypads. The keys weren't uncomfortable, but there was a definite temperature difference.

CC did have some things that would help - one is a block that tilts the computer upward (probably not good for one's wrists though) and the other is a cooling fan/pan that fits underneath the bottom. Both were previously mentioned in this thread and ran about $30 each.

I guess I should have felt my new laptop before I responded. I know that all of my old ones (Toshiba, off-brand, and Dell) have been warm to hot. My new one is a 17" HP Pavillion, and the bottom of it is cool to the touch. It's on 24 hours a day, and I use it directly on my lap most of the time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Go to eBay and type in "laptop fan" and a bunch of cooling pads will come up with 2, 3 or 4 fans. They go under your laptop and runs off the USB port and run about $5-$15 depending on who you buy from.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My new one is a 17" HP Pavillion, and the bottom of it is cool to the touch. It's on 24 hours a day, and I use it directly on my lap most of the time.
    You might want to feel all around the bottom. The HP's I looked at were hot in the bottom lefthand corner near the ports and the bracket (for lack of a better word) for the screen.

I did not look at any 17" screens though, as though notebooks were beyond my budget and likely too heavy for what I'm wanting anyway.

No, I felt all around it. My HP really is cool to the touch. There's one spot (in the top, right, where the network card is) which is lukewarm, but the rest is cool. It certainly surprised me, because all of my other laptops have been warm or even hot to the touch. Looking at the ventilation on it, it's very well built. There are two huge fans on the bottom. There are tons of vents along two sides (left and back).

I can't vouch for all of their models, but mine is a 17" HP Pavillion zd7000 series. Also, the prices aren't bad. I think their base model is under $1000. I've seen mid-level ones at Sams for $1500. Mine was fully loaded (3.4GHz Hyperthreading, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD, etc.) for just under $2000.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Quote Originally Posted by sweat
    You might want to feel all around the bottom
    Haiko is REALLY good at this part!

LaptopDesk
    I found this really neat desk for my laptop and it goes with me everywhere, great for the airport, hotel room, even use it at home on my desk.

Take a look at this http://www.laptopdesk.net/

Tom

I just bought a gateway 450 and it barely gets warm.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread