Beta Testers Required - Online Datafeed Processing Tools
    Hi Everyone,

Firstly, thanks to Haiko for granting me permission to post this message in the hunt for beta testers for a new affiliate tool I have developed.

www.FeedProcessor.com is a collection of web based tools for affiliates who would like to take advantage of product datafeeds, but who don't have the programming or database skills required to make the most of them.

The tools currently offered by the service are;

Quick Site Builder
    ------------------
    Upload any feed and quickly create a "page per product" affiliate website complete with search engine friendly split-page index. Simply download, unzip and upload to your web server. Header and footer HTML can also be specified so you can include custom code on each page.

Advanced Site Builder
    ---------------------
    Similar to Quick Site Builder but using your own templates for product and index pages. Templates are simply HTML files with placeholders such as %1% (for field 1 in the source feed); so you can create your own headings, meta tags, page title's etc. using data from any field in your source feed.

CSV Export
    ----------
    Export feed data as a simple to use CSV text file. The main purpose of this tool is to offer an XML to CSV conversion utility for those able to handle CSV files in their own applications but do not have the experience necessary to process XML.

SQL Wizard
    ----------
    Exports feed data as a sequence of SQL statements (including table definition) that can be imported straight into MySQL (or other SQL92 compliant database). You can select which fields to include in the export, and for each one you can select the data type and provide your own field names.

PPC Assistant
    -------------
    Exports feed data to a text file, one line per record, according to your own template. This enables you to create bulk keyword, bid amount and target URL data files for uploading to PPC advertising networks - such as "powerposting" to Google Adwords.

Other features include:

* HTML stripper and duplicate removal filters.

* Upload feeds from a local file or from a URL (http, https or ftp).

* Feed browser - navigate through feed data just as you would using a normal database application. This should be done to verify that the feed has imported correctly before using the various tools.

* Dry run mode - you can test any processing job and your configuration on the first 5 records of a feed to make sure everything works OK before operating against the entire feed.

* Liberal import parsers, designed to handle as well as possible poorly produced feeds - such as "XML" files that have had HTML written into product description fields without proper encoding.

* Zip format auto-detection (GNU Zip and PKZIP). Feeds should be zipped if possible as this saves massively on bandwidth (feeds can compress up to 97%). Downloads of job output are always zipped, so you will need an unzip utility in order to extract the output.

I look forward to any feedback - in particular the default templates used by the Quick Site Builder tool and how the split-page indexing is created for both Quick Site and Advanced Site builder tools.

Thanks,
    David

Thanks for offering the Beta to our members David.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I found a link to this site on google.
    I tried it and found it to work great.

The part I found useful was it's ability to delete duplicate items - based on any field you want - whether it's the sku, item, desc, cat etc.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    Taking it for a spin...
    Although I'm a hard-core WebMerge user I'll give your site a spin!

Not enough credits?
    Nice set of tools. When I run in "full site" mode and attempt to download the zip, I get an error that I don't have enough credits.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Same here, unless you buy credits right off the bat any jobs you have run will only get you 5 records..

Hi everyone;

Please note that the free beta test at FeedProcessor.com has now completed. Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the tools; and again to Haiko for permission to announce the beta here.

HowlingBlackWolf and Justdoit;

Apologies for not notifying the board earlier that the beta test has now finished - if you could use the contact form to let me know what email address you have used to sign-up I will provide sufficient credit on your accounts to download several full feed jobs.

I trust you will appreciate that it is simply not viable to offer full feed processing as part of a free trial - however I would of course welcome comments on how preview mode (currently limited to the first 5 records of any feed) could be improved to allow you to better gauge the capabilities of the tools....!

Thanks,
    David.

Attn: JustDoIt,

Sorry - as a new user I am unable to access the private message you sent to me! Could you please use the contact form at FeedProcessor.com to let me know what email address you have used to sign-up and I will credit your account as promised.

Thanks,
    David.

David,

i really like your site. The only thing i didn't like was the speed, i downloaded a feed via HTTP through your script and it took ages to load (it wasn't zipped though, about 300K), and then generating the html pages also took quite long despite it using only the first 5 records ... Any tips on how to improve speed?

Thanks.

Hi hungirl,

One change that has taken place recently is that preview jobs (where only the first 5 records are processed) are processed immediately instead of joining the full feed job processing queue. It could be that you were trying the service out before this change and that your preview job was waiting for some full feed jobs to finish. Also note that there is no auto-refresh on the job progress page - so if you run a job and immediately see the progress as 0.00% you will have to refresh the page to see that the job has completed.

If you could use the contact form at FeedProcessor.com to let me know what email address you have signed up with I will check back through the logs and see what else was going on at the time you were using the service and look for any clues that might indicate why things were running slow.

Cheers,
    David.

Very interesting concept. How about adding a link to a demo site that was created using your tool? I'd like to see the quality of the product.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I think I broke it Said error was reported and you will investigate. Whoops!

Hi dflsports;

Consider it investigated! Not fixed as yet; I need to sit down and think about it as the problem was due to how the XML feed you uploaded represented product data. Although it is not a standard "affiliate product data feed" I would still like you to be able to use it with FeedProcessor.com tools so i'll let you know once i've made it work.

Basically; the import routine for XML feeds tries to determine which element contains product data. In the feed that you uploaded, the wrong element "won". The record count you were shown was the count of the wrong element, and so when you went to browse the feed (which was when the error occurred) no fields were found in the first "record". Having studied the feed manually I can see how to programatically discount the element that won, so as soon as it's fixed i'll let you know.

Attn: Snib;

How about adding a link to a demo site that was created using your tool?
    A "showcase" site is on its way - will post back once it's launched...

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    Very interesting concept. How about adding a link to a demo site that was created using your tool? I'd like to see the quality of the product.

- Scott
    Hi Scott,

It's early days bit i've started work on a showcase to try and demonstrate the capabilities:

http://showcase.feedprocessor.com/

There's only a couple of merchants on there at the moment but I'll add more as I get time; the objective being to try and demonstrate how different index and product page effects can be achieved through the creative use of templates - as every field in the data feed is available for use on the index pages as well as the individual product pages.

I also plan to make templates available through a "Template Library" from within FeedProcessor.com; but I would only do this with the permission and cooperation of the merchants.

Please note that I my background is in software rather than a website design so please bear this in mind when browsing the showcase... I'm sure most people here could do a lot better!

Cheers,
    David.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread