Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    website hijacking - how to prevent
    Hi,
    in the last few days I read a lot about website hijacking from directories and webcatalogs by means of redirects ( refreshs and 301, 302 ). There is a bug in google search algo that says that a website with a meta refresh or 301 or 302 to another website is the origina site and the very original website is a double content site. This means that step by step all pages in the very original website are considered to be double content sites and lose their PR and SERP. It is an known google bug.
    In a german discussion board I found a very simple solution to that:

<base href="http://www.mysite.com/">

to be put into the head section of the page. But don't forget the / at the end of the sitename.

if you want to know if your site is hijacked then execute a sear for your website and mouseover the results. If other webaddresses appear then your siteis hijacked. If not then execute a search for "Find web pages that contain the term "www.yoursite.com". Look at the source code of the resultpages.

Roland

What does the <base> tag do?
    Does it tell the search engine that it's the main url?
    Also, how does it work against 301 redirects?
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I found a detailed explanation and example here:

http://www.codeave.com/html/code.asp?u_log=5028

Well now I think I understand why two of my sites dropped in Google PR this last go-round. What annoys the living crap out of me is that when I search for one of my domain names (which is almost unique) these darn redirect sites show up higher in the rankings than the pages ON MY SITE that they redirect to. You'd think Google would develop a way to sniff these leeches out and eliminate them from the SERPs.

Okay, taking this to the whole website: I put
    in the header on my index page but do I put the same thing on all pages or put
    <base href="http://www.mysite.com/detail.html"> on my detail page?

Ray

ABW Ambassador
    You have to put the tag as is into all your pages. I forgot to say that it is a must that all links in your site are set up not this way
    <a href="page.html......
    or
    <a href="/page.html.....
    it is a must that links are like

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/page.html

I hope that google will eleminate this bug as soon as possible. A lot of people brought that to googles attention but they ignore it since today.

roland

ABW Ambassador
    Can you link to anyone discussing this issue? I have never heard this one before, it seems there is always a new reason why "google hates my site". 99.99999999999% of them are rubbish.

ABW Ambassador
    This is a problem that Google needs to fix. A lot of people use redirects and there
    is nothing illegal with using a redirect, if Google can't get things right that is there
    problem. You need to complain to them.

ABW Ambassador
    Usually directories and webcatalogs or linkfarms use this kind of redirects. The last few days I was busy in contacting a lot of webmasters of such websites telling them that they should delete me from their database.
    Concerning the discussion on what is goin gon, I only know the biggest German discussion board. Concerning the

I found it in a US google discussion board but I do not remember. Try a search, perhaps you will find it.

roland

ABW Ambassador
    Roland, you are the one here spreading this complete BS. Not me. You are the one who needs to provide the proof, not me. I cannot prove the negative. This is simply more hysterical hogwash about google.

Simply, your claim that sites are being hijacked by some 301 bug is not true.

Someone was posting a list of what newbies should avoid, this is top on the list. Do not believe the hysterical claims of why google is not sending you traffic. That there is some conspiracy or bug. As with this one, 99.999999999 of them are untrue.

Chet

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    ~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    My bad, I apologize, this is seemingling still an ongoing issue.

No idea how i missed this originally. But I do suggest, when bringing in a new allegation about google or other search engines, it is best to bring some supporting evidence. Otherwise you do seem liek the 99.99999 others with the "Google Bans Affiliates Sites" etc.

Chet

ABW Ambassador

It seems like there is a problem and going on for more than a year now. Good advice to everyone would be to search for their domain names in google and see what comes up.

If there is something fishy then one of the things I just read on other forum is:

Googleguy is looking for examples of this problem. In his words: "Drop an email to webmaster [at] google.com with the keyword "canonicalpage" (all as one word) and I'll ask someone to collect the feedback and pass it on to an engineer. Being extra clear will help us with any feedback you send, e.g. "The correct site is somedomain.com, but if you do the query bla, you'll see that such-and-such.com shows up instead."

Please do this. This hijacking problem is major, and has been going on for almost a year now. All the evidence possible needs to be sent to make Google fix it.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

ABW Ambassador
    Google Germany knows everything on this problem. What comes up ist that google seems to have such a lot of problems and bugs that they first started to eleminate the worst one. This hijacking bug seems to be one of their easiest bugs and they will not make any decissions on that before other bugs are solved. Some webmasters think to sue google for that.

roland

ABW Ambassador
    Here is an example to www.findspot com, how they redirect and hijack websites:

xxx.findspot.com/redir.php?result=aHR0cDovL2NsaWNraXQuZ28ybmV0LmNvbS9zZWFyY2g/cG9zPTMmcHBvcz0xJnBsbmtzPTEmdXBsbmtzPTE0JmNhdD13ZWImY2lkPTIzOTE3MCZzaXRlPXNyY2gmYXJlYT1zcmNoLm5vbmNvbW0uaW5rdG9taSZzaGFwZT10ZXh0bGluayZjcD11ay5pbmMuZnNwMnVrJmNsdXN0ZXItY2xpY2s9MCZwZD0wJmNvbGw9MSZxdWVyeT1kaXNjb3VudF91cmJhbl9jbG90aGluZyZyYXd0bz1odHRwOi8vd3d3LmNqc2hvcHBlci5uZXQvYmFieS5odG0=
    This appeared when I clicked on a link where one of my websites was listed in their catalog site.

roland

P.S.: xxx=www

ABW Ambassador
    How do you execute a sear?

ABW Ambassador
    go to google and serach for ex. discount urban wear. One of the first results is www.findspot.com/urbananything.html. If you click on the result you will find al lot of websites dealing with urban wear. If you click on one the above redirection appears.

roland

Affiliate Manager AffiliateBuddha's Avatar
    here's another example I saw - www.maksazone.com, this site seems to have hijacked google directly (see PR).
    Gift Shopping Zone Affiliate Program on SAS - 10% per sale with unlimited cookie duration, over 10,000 products.

do a search for tracker2.php.
    click on the first link in google.

It explains 302 temporary redirect to hijack your url.

But why would using <base> tag fix that problem?
    I thought <base> just tells your other links where the parent/base directory is.
    [url=http://www.onlinemarts.com][b]Online shopping deals Free Coupons[/b][/url]

ABW Ambassador
    The base tag says the bot that all of the links in your pages are related to www.yoursite.com. Therefore you must let the / at the end of the tag. So if the bot reads the content of your site it sees that this content belongs to www.yoursite and is no double content of www.hijacker site.
    It is very needed that the links on your pages do not show like that:

<a href="page.html
    or
    <a href= /content/page.html

but

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/page.html

Some in the German board say that to hijack the hijacker site makes the thing reverse - until the next crawl. And another thing what the google robot reads:

a redirect greater than 1 sec. is read as a 302, redirects smaller as 1 sec are 301

roland

ABW Ambassador
    Just entered a search for my site in findspot.com and it does a redirect for any and all sites searched for on the fly. This really sucks.

ABW Ambassador
    The page 1 keyword search results which show up in google are almost all like findspot.com. GOGGLE IS GETTING MORE AND MORE IRRELEVANT. And what really sucks is that we can not do anything against drying out the affiliate industry. Or should we all release directories and catalogs?

roland

I've never used the BASE HREF thing, so I looked it up in my web editor help (RTFM, I know)

Base location

The base location or URL for the document. This is used by Namo WebEditor and by Web browsers to calculate complete URLs from any relative URLs found in the document. For instance, if the document's base location is "http://www.bigcompany.com" and the document contains a hyperlink using the relative URL "products/widget.html", then the complete URL will be "http://www.bigcompany.com/products/widget.html".

Normally, you should leave the base location unspecified, so that relative URLs will refer to the directory that the document is in.
    Now, I too understood that it's preferable to always have relative links rather than absolute ones because it's faster and provides more accurate stats tracking. But really, it looks like the BASE HREF thing is about the relative/absolute linking issue rather than the real location of your page.

I'm not saying that it wouldn't work though, just a little confused and trying to find some more evidence.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I remember using BASE HREF back in the dark ages when the early browsers weren't too good about relative links, but that was a long time ago.

I guess the idea is that the spider will honor the BASE HREF when spidering, and if you have base href="http://mysite.com" and it sees:

a href="/mypage.html"

it will canonicalize that as http://mysite.com/mypage.html instead of http://hijacksite.com/mypage.html.

It kind of makes sense, but I have not tested that theory.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

ABW Ambassador
    January '05 was my third best month ever. nearly twice Jan. '04 and about 80% of December. You could say things were looking better than ever.

February '05 stings like I got punched in the forehead. Revenue is at 40% of Jan '05 and half Feb. '04.

An "allinurl" search for one of my top-performing sites shows that I have two pages on my domain in Google.

The other 3500 or so results on this SERP are from several dozen spammy URLs. The sites in question look like they were generated from a wordtracker keyword list which was fed into a couple SEs, then they take the SERPs and make their own pages, then convert the links to legit pages to 302s.

I know I'm not alone in my suffering. A search for my keywords shows the "big players" in my chosen sector are moving down the SERPs, and a couple spamfests are moving up. My sites (and several sites on the subject I visit and contribute to) are nowhere to be found on the first four pages.

Any ideas on when Google should have a fix? Justice would be served if they treated a 302 like a regular A HREF.

In the meantime, has anyone tested BASE HREF and does it work?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast