Anybody start out on a TX 80
    (Texas Instruments about 1977), I think that's what it was called. Had to hook up a cassette recorder. Played stick man games and did little else. Anybody rememeber? Came out just after that great graphic intensive Pong game. On the pong game I remember my friends and I actually spending hours playing it.

ABW Ambassador
    Are you sure you don't mean the TI 99? The TRS 80 was tandy, I don't think TI had a computer designated with an 80.

I vaguely remember a trs80 I think... I actually was a computer graphics artist when I was a senior in highschool 1978 and we did educational and other video games. I actually did work on the trs80(?)

We worked with disney, bally and a buch of other big hitters. I can't remember the name of the game we did for the trs80 computer. It was a sci-fi game based on a movie with a little robot...ug I'm getting old I can't remember it something like HAL..

I did Joust for the Atari800 , Donkey Kong, and many others I can't remember.

comodore64--appleII.

We hand coded our graphics in hex-decimal and handed over the code to the programers--LOL.

It was a dreamjob for a teenage pinball/videogame queen though...

Me and my brother were nerds (my brother was the real computer geek. I was an artist that knew apple basic!!)!

Man how things have changed!
    Yeah but I do remember using a cassete recorder hooked up to the computer...They werent "calculators"

~Suz
    Last edited by suzigeek; January 22nd, 2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: spelling correction

ABW Ambassador
    Ti 99
    Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Are you sure you don't mean the TI 99? The TRS 80 was tandy, I don't think TI had a computer designated with an 80.
    I got my start on the old TI-99 4A. I actually saw one of these things in a pawn shop recently selling for $5. I was tempted to buy it for posterity sake. The computer had 16K of memory. It had a slot to insert a cartridge which could simple games, etc (similar to Atari cartridges). To store your work you used a cassette recorder and a simple audio tape. Unfortunately, that system didn't work too well - generally work saved was work lost. Ah....bring back the good ol' days!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I started on a TRS-80...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

yup, I remember the Trash-80 and especially the CoCo2. Not to mention hard-wired core memory.

Internet Cowboy
    Although I worked at Radio Shack at the time, I had a Texas Instruments TI-99. It too used a casette tape to store data and my TV as a monitor. At that time Radio Shack had some handheld computers too. I used to play with them at work and was amazed of their 8K storage capacity. Wrote a program in Basic that played "When the Saints go marching in" while a little ball bounced over the words during the song. Well, it didn't really bounce, it kind of .... jumped. lol

I started on a TRS-80 in high school. I also had a tandy color computer that used the TV as a monitor and had a casette drive.

IMO, this is one of those situations where the good old days weren't all that good.

Commadore 64

ABW Ambassador
    I actually started on a heathkit because of an uncle ahead of his time, but then a TRS-80, which until 2 years ago, I helped maintain a TRS-80 "web server". Ugh. To reboot, you have to turn on multiple drives in the correct sequence, but it did run searchlight's bbs on the web for a few years that way.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread