More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Yahoo vs. Google - a big difference
    Since the mid-Dec google update, there is now a tremendous difference in how yahoo and google return results whereas before the difference was not that great.

To see the difference, take the first 5 words of the title of any of your web pages (especially the ones that took a bit hit from google) and search on yahoo and then in google - use no quotes. Google places virtually no value on the title tag now unless you are looking for an exact phrase in quotes.

Frankly, I don't even know what google is looking for now.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Frankly, I don't even know what google is looking for now.
    Who cares about Google search results anymore?

Their results are often irrelelevant and out of date.

On another forum, recently, Google was referred as to as a search
    engine for teenagers.

I am getting eleven times the referrals from Yahoo as Google!!

Even the AllTheWeb and AltaVista search engines are beating Google for referrals on my web site!!

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

Yep to that.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

ABW Ambassador
    So you don't like Google Cheesehead

"Even the AllTheWeb and AltaVista search engines are beating Google for referrals on my web site!!"

Same index, owned by Yahoo. AllTheWeb used to be one of the more relevant indexes before Yahoo got their hands on it. Teoma too, very relevant. I wish someone else rather than Ask Jeeves bought them up.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TrustNo1
    So you don't like Google Cheesehead
    I am learning to accept the fact that unless something changes, I won't get traffic from them, regardless of what I do. A year ago, I relied on google when yahoo took a departure - now it's vice versa. I have two new "content" sites that I am promoting now - this will be my "thing". It is more fulfilling to see the fruits of your labor (even if they are small) than to be a servant to a bunch of 20-something-year-olds running a search engine. A good valuable content site will always get traffic regardless of search engine follies - the plan is to keep building them, 1 or so a year. In 9 years, when I plan to semi-retire, I will be set.

By the way, google doesn't give me hardly any traffic on my new content sites either, but I get the traffic none-the-less.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Google is my site's life blood. The comments about them are chilling. How do you get Yahoo to produce for you? Are you paying the yearly directory inclusion fee and the PPC charges? I didn't renew when they added the pay per click charges. I must admit my traffic dropped by 40%.

Yahoo is about a year and a half behind Google it seems. They take a long time to start spidering and indexing a site, but once they do they give you good listings. I'm really thankful for Yahoo right now! Google has just gotten too picky for some of my sites. Fortunately I still harvest a great deal of traffic from Google, but not as much as before. All hope is not lost because I'm holding some Google phrases strongly and I'm sure with the right kind of links and content you can hold a phrase as well.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador
    Thumbs down Google
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    It is more fulfilling to see the fruits of your labor (even if they are small) than to be a servant to a bunch of 20-something-year-olds running a search engine.

Personally, I expect nothing from Google. Their reliance upon a Page Rank Popularity algorithm is absurd. Albert Einstein's content web site, if he was alive, would be totally lost in Google because "Relativity" isn't popular. I refer to this as the "Britney Spears Effect".

On another forum Google is referred to as the "Search Engine For Teenagers".

Being a bunch of twenty-something-year-old Google hot-shots with computer science "credentials" doesn't necessarily mean having any business experience or wisdom.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread