Hi,

Say I have millions or rows from many merchants that provide datafeeds, do you use one new category table for each merchant or do you use only one category table for all merchants? I could use only one detail product table for all merchants datafeeds but is there problem later? Or should I use separately one table for each merchant?

One more: should I use separately one database for each merchant?

Thanks,
    John

[This message was edited by greentea on February 21, 2004 at 03:14 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Making do with what I have & what I know, I'm using an Access database & ASP coding. I started with a single database with tables and queries for each mfgr.

The file was huge, but didn't really pose a performance problem online. The problem was in the incredible amount of wasted time it took to upload after each change. I separated them out into individual database files for each mfgr. Online performance hasn't seemed to suffer for it.

Wayne

I use Sql Server and split the feeds up, one database per merchant.

Some merchants seems to change details frequently, some hardly ever. By having a database for each it means I just import a new feed for a merchant when it's appropriate.

If they were all in one table it would mean importing data for a merchant even if his feed is the same as the last time it was imported.

Thanks. I'm new so I haven't seen datafeed that contains 'multiple' merchants yet. I think feeds are supposed to use to update and insert new records, not to delete all data in tables and flourish them with new feeds. But I'm new and that's just what I think.

The CJ Datafeed contains all your merchants with product catalogs in the one feed, so I split them out into different tables.

If you just update current records and insert new ones, then you still have the records for products that have been dropped by the merchant, you need to be able to remove these from your database or you end up with a load of products that are no longer sold.

The only way to make sure your data is bang up to date is to delete all records and re-import the latest feed.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread