Arrow Looking for an affiliate script for my forums... any ideas?
    Hello all I am new here,

I have been looking for an affiliate script for about 2 years now. I had one but it just wasn't perfected and outdated on me. I want a script for my IPB forums at my site http://www.northmont.com . Looking to override members who post their affiliate ID with mine AND when members post direct links to products without an affiliate ID... I would like that to be converted to mine automatically. I know this is possible, I could name at least 4 forums that have accomplished this. Any ideas?

Thanks,

James

Isn't that what parasites do? I assume you have a policy of no affiliate links allowed on your forum.

That is correct. Parasites? This probably sounds stupid but is that a program or where you referring to people stealing commission?

Parasites are the scum of the earth. You know 180solutions and the like....They steal commissions.

Are you trying to be funny with your request, or do I not understand? You don't come across as a rookie after viewing your site.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Isn't that what parasites do?
    This differs from parasiteware, in that it would only be active on his own site--not interfering with anyone else's.

Are you trying to be funny with your request, or do I not understand?
    I don't think he's trying to be funny at all.
    He's got a forum, and some people who post on HIS forum, are putting in aff links or direct links to products. Since it's his forum, he feels entitled to change those posts to have his aff code in 'em.

Same thing I think about my own forum. Whenever a spammer shows up pushing their crap, if I have a merchant for the same products, I reserve the right to change any links they post into mine. I put this right in the TOS.

He'd like to automatically do that...and so would I! H*ll, I'd even like a program that would add pay links (to my own sites) where there hadn't been any to begin with!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Yes I know. That is why I assumed he didn't allow affiliate links. I wasn't being a smart ass. With all the talk of parasites, I was really wondering if he was serious or not.You can't always tell behind posts. Especially a newcomer.

I see nothing wrong with what he wants to do, as long as the policy is no affiliate links and it's his forum. I did try to edit my above post ( after coming back and reading what I wrote) to add what I just said, but my 15 minutes was up.

BTW...Welcome James!

If it's the same users you could create a rewrite rule for the links - I know you could do this on VB, not sure on IPB. As for the indivdual product links sans affiliate links, no way to get credit on that with out cookie stuffing.

==========

Leader,

RSS feeds could do what your looking for ... I've been out of pocket but I know I still owe you a response, and this is a major portion of it, once 'some' dust clears here, I'll reply.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko--As for the RSS feeds, I've been experimenting with those lately.
    So far I've managed to crash my server twice trying to do just what I want with that... And I didn't even try to make anything really *contextual* happen yet! I don't want to get into too much detail on that part publically at this time, though...

But on the good side, I have managed to syndicate out my forum without crashing anything!

But when it comes to adding links, what I'm really looking for is something like they have at www.vibrantmedia.com (IntelliTXT) but with my own links. So the links are actually embedded into the text on my pages.

I make a crap load of mula with vibrantmedia they rock.

What forum software do you use leader? thats easily done if you are using VB just edit phrases.

I make a crap load of mula with vibrantmedia they rock.
    Cool! I've never actually used vibrantmedia, although I've always been interested in it, because I was concerned it wouldn't be allowed along with AdSense. Can you use them both on the same pages or did you have to pick one or the other?

As for my forum software, it's Invision 1.(something-or-other). I think it was the last free version. It's got a censoring function I could appropriate for the purpose, but then I'd have to do it manually. I don't think I could hope to remember all the possible combinations/possibilities--plus, if it finally gets busy, I'd be overwhelmed in no time! I don't think I could ever predict all the keywords that manage to come up in posts on a busy forum...

I use both the Vibrantmedia ads and the google ads on the same pages. But my google ads are in a rotation with other ads.

I emailed google a while ago about it and at first they objected but then told me it was ok.

However vibrantmedia is buggy. causes some users to experience lag when loading your page and others may see their browsers still trying to load the page even though its completely loaded.

BTW I make 10 times more with VM then I do with GA, so if I had to dump one I would dump GA

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk
    Parasites are the scum of the earth. You know 180solutions and the like....They steal commissions.

Are you trying to be funny with your request, or do I not understand? You don't come across as a rookie after viewing your site.

Ah, no I'm just new with ABestWeb, i was here several months ago and only stayed for about 2 days lol. Thanks for explaining the parasite thing, I saw a thread about that here. That's not what I'm trying to abolish (although that would be nice to do too!) I'm no noobie when it comes to do deals, forums, and how to manage one. I am a noob with programing and scripts. If anyone could offer me further help that would be great. I'm willing to pay a couple hundred (not much, but something) for this.

Thanks

The way I do it is to redirect ALL links posted on the forum through a PHP redirect script. So when someone posts a link to XYZ.com, it would show up as mysite.com/redirect.php?url=XYZ.com.

Then the script looks at the link, and if it's for a retailer I have an affiliate relationship with it tries to extract that SKU for the product, and then creates an individual product affiliate link and sends the user to that link. You have to know how to get individual product links for each of your affiliates, which takes a long time since a lot of them don't explicity tell you how. You could always just redirect it to the home page for the retailer, but your visitors won't like that very much.

I am a noob with programing and scripts.
    Same here. I think I'd go gray from frustration, trying to figure out how to write a script to do it OlsonNet's way...

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    I use both the Vibrantmedia ads and the google ads on the same pages.
    I just checked out VM's flash demo. In order for their system to work, they would have to embed some code into your page at specific points when generating your page right? I wonder how this effects SEO, if any at all. Sounds like a neat idea.

all caused by parasites, if you want your script safe from parasiter, use redirect url or create mod_rewrite on your server.

Thanks, OlsonNet, know where I can get a script like this? I don't mind managing these links myself (if it doesn't take too much skills). I used to have a redirect script like I said before, but it wasn't the best one out there. Just want at least a better one. The old one just redirected people from other affiliate ID's to mine, but I want the script with direct product links without anyone's affiliate link to be directed to mine. I realize this is time consuming, and I'm willing to partake in it anyways.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread