google-msn-yahoo drop
    through december my site had about 130,000 pages indexed at google, 8,000 at msn, and 17 at yahoo (they are banning us for some reason).
    Since the first of this month we have been losing pages fast. Now down to 30,000 at google, which was our biggest draw. We were getting 10,000+ hits per day and are now down to under 1,000.
    Is this happening to anyone else?
    The only thing different about the site is that we have removed doorway pages that we used to use before we knew they were considered "bad".

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    The only thing different about the site is that we have removed doorway pages that we used to use before we knew they were considered "bad".
    A classic case of committing suicide to avoid being murdered!

As for Yahoo, those wanks catch things pretty fast so the doorway pages had probably already done their damage there.

Google-wise, sounds like the main site doesn't have enough links-in/PR to stand on its own. Taking away the doorway pages without building some other (better) kind of supporting foundation could only result in a free-fall...it's kind of like taking a rickety ladder out from under someone who's standing 20 stories up (because you heard that a steel ladder is best)--and expecting him to suddenly learn to fly!! It soon turns out that the rickety ladder was better than no ladder at all.

Fortunately, sites don't die upon impact like humans do, so if you rebuild your link pop I would expect it to rise again...

As for HOW to rebuild it, that depends on if any "real" people are willing to link up. If they are, start w*rking (working) and build that real linkpop up.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

yupe man it is weird. one of the sites that i'm managing has 2000+pages indexed at google, yet the traffic from google is very low, getting about 30-40 hits a day.

Thumbs down google
    My site has had a drop in traffic from Yahoo and MSN of about 30 percent since November. I am assuming this is seasonal. My drop from Google, however, is SEVENTY percent. I have tons of links from other sites -- I've been very lucky in that regard -- so that's not my problem.

I really don't know what the problem is. Google used to like me; now it doesn't. I think it's more a problem with Google than a problem with my site. I'm not making any changes. If Google drops good sites for no reason, it is Google that will suffer in the end

(this message is getting centered for some reason, at least in preview, don't know why; can't seem to make it align left!!)

Yes, that is our thing too, google used to like us but now it doesn't. We have tons and tons of incoming links, that is not an issue, removing doorways had nothing to do with that. The doorways we had were under the same domain name, just had like 100 pages all pointing to one product page, times that by thousands and you get loads of deleted doorways.
    But even when they were still in place i could go to google and do a site:www.mysite.com -doors
    and we had over 100,000 pages indexed, and they were the real pages. I have heard elsewhere that google is coming down on affiliate sites. Ours is mostly affiliate links from cj, with a hundred or so other static pages, and even 16 rss feeds. Wish someone from google would give a straight answer on this.

When it comes to getting incoming links you really need to get links from the core of the internet. The core is generally the sites that don't need any incoming links. They generate their own traffic and they don't need to do link exchanges. These sites have a reputation and a solid brand in many cases. It's nearly impossible to get a link from this core, but if you have connections and know people in the right places, you might be able to get in there. Really you just need to build your own reputation and do something that stands out enough to catch the attention of the internet.

There's also the aspect of relevance. You not only need to get links from the core, but you need to get links from related core websites. Search engines put much more weight on a link from a related site than a link from an unrelated link. What defines a related link is entirely subjective.

The only fool proof way to go about this without needing to worry about SEO in the future is to provide a useful service. Something that many people will find extremely valuable and useful. I'm finding it quite a challenge to build a sales site that's extremely useful, but maybe you've some of your own ideas. Think about when you shop and think about what you like. Build these features and do them better than anybody else and you'll do fine.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

ABW Ambassador

Quote Originally Posted by Fairla
    I think it's more a problem with Google than a problem with my site. I'm not making any changes. If Google drops good sites for no reason, it is Google that will suffer in the end
    Google used to hit my site like crazy. Now I don't see them much anymore.
    I now get ten times more hits from Yahoo than Google.

My guess is that Google has lost some very experienced people and the
    new "credentials" Google hired don't understand the Google System yet.

RadarCat, Webmaster
    http://www.os2warplinks.com

ABW Ambassador
    Google has changed so much - I have had a major drop in traffic as well. MSN has dropped since they implemented their new search. Yahoo seems OK.

Yup I'm the same dissapeared from Google for all my search terms where Iwas no1,2 ,3 on the first pages for those search terms fortunatly I've appeared on Yahoo and MSN almost at the same time Google shafted me.

I love Yahooooo and MSN

Kili

Over 2/3 of my web pages show only the url with no description and no
    cache.
    All these pages are over two years old and were all fully indexed at one
    time.
    I have made no changes.
    The problem has nothing to do with links-in/PR.
    Google is garbage and they should fire some of their engineers and revert to the pre florida algorithm
    The real problem at the googleplex right now is a large group of engineers with huge inflated salary
    packages and nothing better to do but to try and fix something that is not broken..

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread