Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate recruitment?
    I think I want to signup with SAS as a merchant. How can I ensure that a good amount of affiliates will give my program a try?

Shareasale will be a good choice.

If your program is good and pays fair and there are no tricks and depending on what you're selling, the best way to find out how many affiliates will give your program a try is by at least mention some of the details and the site name after you talk to Haiko about how to announce your program on the New Programs and Announcements Forum.

After that, you may have an idea of how we feel about your program even before you signup with SAS as a merchant.

If we like your program after we have some details, by going with Shareasale I think that you will get many affiliates from ABW.

I guess that the fastest and more economical way for you to get an idea on how your program would be of any good or not for many of us, it would be if you ask Haiko how can you announce your program on the New Programs and Announcements Forum.

Sal.

Thanks, will do.

SaS is good. Join it, "TB Alex". But be prepared to spend money and time on recruiting your affiliates...

I was thinking I'd have to pay up for the entrance fees for CJ until I started hearing all the positive feedback for SaS.

SaS has a $150 setup fee + $50 deposit. Be ready for it... However, I'm sure you arelady know it.

Yeah, pocket change compared to CJ and Linkshare though! If I'm gonna spend thousands I want it to be a deposit for affiliates- not a setup fee.

You're right! Good luck and have a great weekend, Alex!

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    TB Alex,

I missed this post earlier if not I would have been the first one to tell you that SaS is a great choice.

But, my first suggestion is to listen to what Sal said and get some feedback from affiliates by making a small announcement (not sure if you did already) and introduce yourself, your site and products on ABW while you sign up for SaS. It will be worth it.

Ask Haiko for details.

Cool, thank you. We're still doing conversion testing using our current tour at tigerbalance.com but when we're ready to really open the doors and Haiko okays such an announcement from me it I'll do just that.

Good luck!

Outsourced Program Manager
    Hi;

First let me tell you this. You will not get enough affiliates by just joining any affiliate network, be it SAS, MyApp, LS, CJ, ( in fact the affiliates you get thru ls and cj that u yourselve don't bring in will never make your program work.)

firgure that more than 50% of those that sign up will ever get the links up> You need to really devote yourselve to going out and finding compatable affiliates on your own. This takes time.

Please don't think that just by seting up an affiliate program that you'll get quality and enough affiliates to drive the program. This will not happen.

Exactly what my experience has taught me but I wasn't sure if things were different with the major programs. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

My next question is an obvious one- what are some of the tips to finding affiliates who will benefit greatly from what I have to offer and/or finding people who will find the affiliates for me? I've shot off a few emails to management firms but I'm not interested in paying an upfront price, only a percentage of sales (probably about 10% for any manager and 30% for their affiliates, or 40% for stand alone affiliates).

Hi TB;

Well to find affiliates you can do 2 things,
    1. learn about how to find affiliates by looking thru various forums and sites or
    2. hire an affiliate manager.

Post something here that your looking for an affiliate manager. But don't expect them to beat down your doors if your not willing to pay something up front each month plus a % of the sales.

Most affiliate managers work for a set figure each month depending on how much work you want done and then anywhere from 3-10% of the gross sales that the affiliates generate.

Starting an affiliate program takes time (at least 2 weeks with SAS or MyApp, 2-6 weeks with LS, CJ ) seting it all up, making sure the links work and track, writing email's etc etc. then you start recruting the affiliates. The affiliates might or might not start making sales right away, but I have found it takes about 2 months or more until the affiliates are really making large amount of sales and you have a fair amount of good affiliates in your program.

I have told all the programs that I work with that you should look upon affiliate programs as gravy, not as the affiliates as your main sellers. Your site has to sell the items first. Look at the affiliates as contributing 20-40% of your total sales after a year or so if you have a driven dedicated AM.

Very few AM will work for striaght commisisons unless you have a one of a kind product that will make loads of $$

Good luck with it.

Thanks for all the info Richard.

We're not currently part of the affiliate networks but we do have a very nice system setup through ordermachine.com that does an excellent job in tracking and crediting sales. My primary interest with SaS and the rest was the hope that they'd bring some good affiliates on just by me being part of their network, but if you say that's not the case then I guess that leaves me at just needing to find some affiliates now. =)

I can venture to pay AMs a small amount at first and I suppose I might go ahead and make some posts offering the job. What's funny though is that we actually DO have a one of a kind product and we've seen conversions of 1:20 off of proper test traffic. 40% pay outs range from $16-47. I think since it is relevant I'm allowed to post our site, tigerbalance.com.

Can you spare any tips on finding affiliates, in case I can't come to a mutually beneficial agreement with any AMs?

The first and most important thing is to have a reasonably priced product that real people out there really want to buy and need. If they need to rebuy or replenish frequently, even better.

The second most important thing is to make your own site clear and easy to buy from with NO LEAKS! If your site loses the customer, nothing the affiliates do will change that and you will lose affiliates, fast.

The third thing is to offer reasonable compensation to the people who invest time and money to promote your site and your products.

The forth thing is to get the message out to the people who can and may be willing to promote your site. That means you have to go where they are and tell them about your program. Fifth, you should make an SEOd page that can be easily found in any SE saying that you have an affiliate program and what merchandise is sold. In other words, if I want to sell jewelry on my site and I do a search for "jewelry affiliate" will I find a page saying that you are looking for affiliates to sell jewelry for you? You should make a page for each type of item you offer. Broad categories are no doubt best.

Step five is one that most AMs and program owners fail to do. I don't understand that at all because it sure would get them a lot of affiliates.

And, you should absolutely join SAS! Their consolidated checks mean we get paid for each and every sale. No minimum to be reached. I will always use SAS above an independent program if it is untried and untested because I always know whatever the site produces, I will be paid for. Not as much of a gamble for me to try a new merchant. And, not as much a problem if a merchant is only slow. If it is only a few sales a year, I get paid and so do all those others who use them. The slow ones can add up to quite a tidy amount over time. I don't have to worry about artificial minimums and I will never fail to be paid on time and fairly.

USE SAS!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

Well thats good info for sure but I know of no affiliate program that has a page that ranks well for their affiliate info.

I agree with you on the first 4 for sure. But number 5....

Do you have an example?
    I don't think most people look that hard to find affiliate programs to join.
    Thats why you need a good AM to finds the affiliates for you

I am the AM for one site that uses SAS.
    40% of the affiliates i have gotten via sas have not gotten the links up.

and thats the bottom line. The best affiliates will coem from thsoe that you go out and get.

Quote Originally Posted by SSanf
    Fifth, you should make an SEOd page that can be easily found in any SE saying that you have an affiliate program and what merchandise is sold. In other words, if I want to sell jewelry on my site and I do a search for "jewelry affiliate" will I find a page saying that you are looking for affiliates to sell jewelry for you? You should make a page for each type of item you offer. Broad categories are no doubt best.

Step five is one that most AMs and program owners fail to do. I don't understand that at all because it sure would get them a lot of affiliates.

And, you should absolutely join SAS! Their consolidated checks mean we get paid for each and every sale. No minimum to be reached....
    I agree with you on all your points, especially SAS (free datafeeds for affiliates!) and number 5. I often go to google and do a [keyword affiliate] search and see what comes up.

It has always fascinated me that there are merchants with an affiliate program who don't mention it on their site. Personally, I take that as a negative: either they have a bad attitude about affiliate programs, a lack of enthusiasm, or they must be a brain-dead corporate site. If you want me, tell me.

Just a note from an affiliate "fly", sitting on the wall. Many of my relationships with merchants have been initiated by the merchant via e-mail and posts such as this. Most have likely retained a manager who does the leg work, looking at compatible sites and then alerting me to their product site. There is nothing that bonds that relationship more than seeing the merchant (or his rep) active on ABW, listening to affiliates and making an effort to make the business relationship stronger. I also suggest that time and effort is put into the design and variety of creatives. If the ad format doesn't fit the affiliates site, either by size or by shoddy design, chances are they will become one of the many "unposted."

Hi All.. I am currently working with a merchant who is getting ready to launch their affiliate program (most likely with SAS) and I have a few questions.. If the networks don't really bring affiliates to the table (ones that produce) than what are you paying them for? I realize that they provide the software (tracking code), reporting features and pay your affiliates for you but to pay SAS 20% on a commission seems steep if the affiliates they have in the network don't do much.. If I'm spending the time & money to recruite good affiliates (which means they have to sign up for SAS if they aren't a member already) than I would think SAS should be giving me a % back for all those sales since I brought them to the table.. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by bluewaves
    If the networks don't really bring affiliates to the table (ones that produce) than what are you paying them for? I realize that they provide the software (tracking code), reporting features and pay your affiliates for you but to pay SAS 20% on a commission seems steep if the affiliates they have in the network don't do much..
    Firstly, Welcome :

Secondly, 20% and the set up is a bargain!

Thirdly, software, and consolidated payments are even more of a bargain

Fourthly, SaS has over 100K affiliates

Fifthly, an affiliate link is earned, not just blindly put up, you have to sell your program and what the program/AM does for affiliates to recruit real affs, just like you need to promote/advertise your site to end users but diffently KWIM? SaS is a trusted third party, they consolidate payments and keep thieves out as well as offering recruiting opportunities - which are just that ---- opportunities at the prices they charge ... it's a damn bargain [and a half!].

I've said it before, and I'll extrapolate on it here ...

Affiliate sales tracking is just as important as your cart, if you lose an affiliate sale it's just as bad as loosing a customer ... so choose your affiliate software wisely, and your network as wisely! SaS has my full support, but it ain't a solve all you still need a real program, real terms and promotion of your program.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate programs
    Agree 100%
    you must chose an affiliate program that keeps track of sales. Nothing bothers me more than receiving a note saying, I am sorry but we have had problems and sales were not tracked for...

I am maybe in the minority for AM. I am also an affiliate for items I sell on my sites. So I think I know what affiliates want.

TRACKING is the most important

PAYMENT on time

RESPOND to my questions within 24 hours at the most

GIVE me a data feed if the product you are pushing calls for one

GIVE me links to inside pages so I can do the leg work on my site and then link to your buy now page

BANNERS is down the list as any good am will always ask the affiliates if there is anything special they need and then provide it

GIVE me the ablity to set my own prices! This wont work for all sites but for those that it will, do it. I would rather have more sales at less commissions that the other way around

TELL me what the hotest selling items are for the last month

HELP me even if I don't ask for it

SEND me a newsletter monthly. Give me information, whats new. Ask if I want / need anything

All of the above are things that I ask for as an affiliate and provide as an AM!

Last but not least

KEEP the affiliate happy!

Richard,

You left out ...

HAVE an affiliate forum to enable open communications at your affiliate's schedule ... preferably on ABW
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

hi all
    I read this thread with great interest,
    slowly,,slowly,, I am getting jist of things,,,,,
    Neil

Just saw the inquiry above so to prove a point I typed the first thing that came to mind in Google, knives affiliate.

Here is the result
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

If you don't do the same, you are throwing away affiliates who want your products on their sites.

I don't think most people look that hard to find affiliate programs to join.
    Trust me when they need a specific kind of a product for a certain page this is EXACTLY what they do (after checking SAS of course )

This especially applies to "content" pages where the need can be quite specific. You want to get on content pages? Promote your program!
    Comments are opinion unless otherwise noted. Remember, pillage first. Then burn. Half of all people in the world have IQs under 100. You best learn to trust ol' SSanf!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast