View Poll Results: How many hand-code? How many use WYSIWYG editors?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hand-code HTML

36 34.62%
  • Use an online editor provided by hosting service

2 1.92%
  • Use text editors (like NotePad, Macromedia Homesite, NoteTab)

21 20.19%
  • Use WYSIWYG editors (like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, Arachnophilia)

42 40.38%
  • Use more than just one site building method (please comment)

21 20.19%
  • Other (please comment)

3 2.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    How many hand-code, how many use WYSIWYG?
    I have had some publishers write me about the challenge of learning HTML. I’m now curious how many here are hand coders, how many use the WYSIWYG editors, how many use text editors, or other software? Please take a moment to answer the above poll.

Thanks!

I hand code my html using Macromedia Dreamweaver. It's the only way to do code.
    Recycled Talent - Architects of custom scripts and snippets, perfectly written to suit any need. We stay on top of the latest technology so you don't have to.
    Total Stupidity - Shining light on stupid things.

I hand code my sites. When I started building sites (1995), there weren't any WYSIWYG editors.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Dreamweaver does most of the work for me but i do have to go in and hand code occassionally.

When I started this whole thing I didnt even know, honestly, what HTML stands for. So best thing for me was to use WYSIWYG. I started using FP and then curious to know how the coding page looks like made me to look deeper in to the HTML page. When ever I used to create even a single line on the "Normal View" I used to check out what HTML is created. Then I realized few links provided by Networks/Merchants were better if embeded in to the HTML directly. That made me to learn more of HTML.

So WYSIWYG editor actually taught me the HTML. I found it very easy that way. Though, I still use FP but if I have to I can write a HTML code.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

I learned html by using frontpage, before M$ bought them so it's my fav, but doing more and more hand coding (as time permits). I tried dreamweaver and got fed up with it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I use FrontPage.

Back in the early 90's I taught myself a little html. My first web page was all hand-coded in Notepad. I still hand-code some, but mostly let FrontPage do the work.

If I'm working on new template where I've sliced up a Photoshop prototype or want to do some heavy CSS manipulation, I usually will pop into Dreamweaver. The other 90% of the time, it's good old Emacs or vi.
    Tim
    consultant by day, affiliate by night

It depends

My new toy is Trellian for a WYSIWYG, but than I also love to use Arachnoid and Notepad.

It seems to depend on my mood, amount of time I think I'll have and if the Moon is Full....
    CharPaula
    Staying focused on the bottomline

ABW Ambassador
    Other, as in a combination. I make a template in dreamweaver, remove extraneous dreamweaver code and then chop it up into ASP functions for whatever my purpose is.

Though nowadays I'm modifying open source non-affiliate site/community management software for affiliate marketing. My bottom line says I'm doing something right.

I hand code more than using anything else. And, of course, my sites kinda look it. But I like simple.

When the flurry of link changes is over in a few months I'll try to go back to something like FP in its latest form and see if they've improved it over '97 (shudder).

I use Dreamweaver or Namo for the general layout but always go in and tweak by hand.. I need a WYSIWYW program.... What You See Is What You Wanted

Emacs on Linux. The only way to fly.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Dreamweaver, and then I go in and tweak it.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I hand code HTML using either jed via ssh on my server box, or using SciTE on Windows and then uploading.

I also find OOo's HTML editor to present very clean output, but it can be a bear to get set up how you want. But then again, I'm not using the current version of OOo at the moment, things may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    Dreamweaver, and then I go in and tweak it.

Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ΤΏΤ¬

When the flurry of link changes is over in a few months I'll try to go back to something like FP in its latest form and see if they've improved it over '97 (shudder).
    Herb,

I have FrontPage 2002 - it's a definite improvement over '97.

Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    Herb,

I have FrontPage 2002 - it's a definite improvement over '97.
    I agree. Only thing I have seen that few times the output is different when you preview it in IE and Netscape. Initially it was frustrating for me to see a different result but now I have learned how to do a little tweaking to get the same page in IE and in Netscape. If you are using FP make sure that you preview in both.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Mainly use FP, plus manual tweaking. as was given a copy in '97 to build the website for the company I then work for, and as a plus for me it is possible to write VBA code for FP to automate some of those boring manual tasks.

Also use Textpad for manually editting PHP code as it is nice and simple and has a plugin that colour codes PHP syntax.
    If anyone knows of a really good PHP editor I would be interested as I have tried a few but each time I return to Textpad as the alternatives have seem too complicated.

Les

I don't see why anybody would stay entirely with hand coding. It takes me too much time calculating locations and sizes for elements and I get confused on closing tags in nested tables and all sorts of other details I have to think about. I use FrontPage, Dreamweaver, and Visual Studio. I like the color coded views for html and for the VB and C# code. I get frustrated with some of the extra code inserted by some of the WYSIWYG editors and have to edit it by hand, but I like them for general layout.

Sounds like the WYSIWIG HTML editors like FrontPage and Dreamweaver will help those of us that don't hand-code to jump into the HTML waters.

Thanks, all, for the feedback.

I use whatever tool/tools is best for the job.

I normally hand code my template for the site. Once done I use DW or FP to create the new pages off of that template.

Take care,

Brian

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    I voted "other".

Until a few months ago I used WordPad and did all my own coding. I still do pretty much the same thing, but now I have a Windows program I wrote in Delphi for myself that lets me insert the raw code commands with a single click of a button and splits the screen so I can see what the result looks like. In other words, it is still much like using WordPad, but I can easily view the changes I make and simplifies the coding process.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I just love using Apache and mySQL to test my code. I write everything in vim which is an awesome text editor. Really the trick is to test everything through a local version of Apache so you don't have to FTP every time you want to test something.

- Scott

I use a combination of Frontpage & hand coding. When I first started making pages, I did take the time to learn html and I still think its a very necessary step for people new to building web sites. I've come across far to many people that have no idea what the simplest html codes do and its very frustrating working with those people when they can't get a page to display the way they envision it.
    Heidi
    "Happy are those who dream dreams and are willing to pay the price to make them come true"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast