ABW Ambassador
    Advice re: linkfarm e-mails?
    For the last month, I have been receiving approximately 4 e-mails a day that go something like this: ( I used to get around 5/month)

"Dear me,

I'm the webmaster of a #### resource website at
    www. #######.info

I've collected quality links to other ##### resources on the
    Internet on my links page.

I came across your site and feel that it'd make perfectly fit in my collection
    of
    quality links about #####

I've already placed a link to your web site along with a description at
    www. #####.info

I'd appreciate if you'd place a link back to my site using the following link
    and description:"

Of course I am not interested in placing links to their site on mine, but I am beginning to worry that all of these new links to my site from these link farms will hurt my ranking with google and other SE. This has really become a problem since the last google update. All of these sites look the same, using google adwords and 100,s of keyword terms relating to the title of the site with many outgoing links related to the title also. Do I need to worry?
    Thanks

I get quite a few per month and I'm not worried. Yet.

I wish they all had a PR of 7 or better from the linking page, though.

They are just "playing percentages" hoping some sap will return the so-called favor. There is no evidence they keep the links up for long, either.

I've been getting those for a couple of years now I often check the sites mentioned and I find usually after a week or so the links to my sites are removed. I checked one that I recieved yesterday and they had not even put a link to my site up. My opinion (for what its worth) is that the links will not be there long enough to make any difference to your google ratings.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge about this will do a post
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

ABW Ambassador
    I'm just getting nervous because I am getting a certain % per day now verses per month.

popularity is a two-edged sword?

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Here's something to check, if the link trade seems legitimate: See if the link page is even indexed in google. Many times it is not. It could be shut off to robots or perhaps excluded or banned. At any rate, most of these proposals are garbage.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

ABW Ambassador
    I'm just getting nervous because I am getting a certain % per day now verses per month.
    I used to get those emails.

You have nothing to worry about if they're linking to you. You have no control over who links to your site and most SE's understand this.

If you're linking to them, then you should worry. You have complete control over who you link to. Most SE's understand this.

I have Mailwasher set to check against spamcop. Every single one of those ends up coming from a source identified as a spammer.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've been getting some that want me to link to (some new commercial site), but they want to link back from some link farm...or as they call it, "directory." That in itself doesn't bother me--NONreciprocal links are good.

So I check the PR of the farm, and if it has a decent amount (and doesn't have a HUGE crop of links already) sometimes I'll do it. I also check to make sure they're direct links, etc.

Usually, though, they have PR0. And, since they ask people to link to a site *other than* the farm, I have no reason to believe that the site they put my link on will ever get any PR or links-in. So, those requests go into the chucker.

One person actually emailed a week later to let me know he was taking my link down from his unseen wonder... Woopee...

As for if my links stay up at the others, after reading this thread I'll be going through my links page and checking up on them!
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread