Am I being a Jerk or are they? Or both or neither?
    Okay, folks, I need some guidance here.

Let me lay out the situation (with specifics left out to keep things anonymous).

I work with one of my merchants through their in-house program. They pay a fixed commision of X dollars. They recently signed up with one of the big networks where they offered approximately 1.4X dollars. I had seen such discrepencies with other merchants, so that didn't surprise. In fact, this same merchant is also on a 2nd (or 3rd) tier network with a payout of about 0.8X dollars.

This merchants converts well for me (like 3-5% depending on the month), so I decided to write to them to see if I could either get a raise in-house or if I should just switch to the network. I tried to be polite, explaining that I enjoyed the partnership and liked working with them in-house and would prefer to do so at the higher rate, since it would save them money over them going through the network.

They replied:

Our tracking system and conversion rate is much better inhouse than with [The Network], thus giving you more payouts, for this cause there is a diffrence in commision payout. Working with [The Network] is a trial period and may not last, we have not had good response from it. Our affilates seem to do better using our system and they make more sales with the inhouse. If you are seeing a large diffrence then we can talk about a comprimise but we feel that the way we have our system set up is of most benifit. The rules on [The Network] are a bit diffrent and in the end the payouts have not been as good. If you have any more questions please let us know.
    Okay. So they said "no." I can live with that, since I can alway just use the network link. What was odd was their reasoning. They had only been on the network 8 days when they sent this. I am not convinced that you can tell much of anything about performance in 8 days.

So I replied

I suppose I can understand that (although your [0.8X dollar] payout on [2nd tier network] seems odd unless [2nd tier netowkr] converts really well for some reason). I'll give the [new network] one a try, just to see how it works for me (one conversion already since last night :-)).

As far as [the new network] not working out well for you, give it some time. It's only been about 10 days. Also, a lot of affiliates will just pick up every merchant on the big networks and toss up banners without much thought. These same ineffectual affiliates are, I suspect, less likely to seek out independent programs such as your in-house one. Just a thought.
    I was trying to help them understand what they might be seeing (i.e. lots of impressions, few clickthroughs, and few conversions). They replied:

Well we sincerely appreciate your input and your affiliateship with [their name] and hope [the network] works out for you, we don;t mind getting customers anyway we can and I am sure you don;t mind us giving you $$ for the help. So do whatever you need to and we will make sure we keep in good standing. Thanks again for the feedback.
    So, my question to all of you is this:

Am I being a jerk here? (certainly not my intention)
    Are they being jerky?
    Neither?
    Both?

Maybe I am just reading too much into it. Anyway, any advice would be great. Thanks.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    That last bit of writing (from them) is a bit hard to understand. In a semantic manner, that is--I had to read it a couple of times to figure out just what he was getting at.

Other than that, from what I can see, I'd say "neither" are being jerks, although they obviously like to beat around the bush too much instead of just getting to the point!! But then, I don't know exactly how you worded *your* emails, maybe you didn't get right to it either.

But there isn't much they can say, you said you were going with The Network and taking the bigger commish...they're not willing to give a raise so their only remaining choices are to either accept you at the network or drop you! So it looks like he's trying to close the email "thread" with something polite while still not forking over a raise for the in-house.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    I'd say neither if those quotes are the actual exchanges (w/ names removed of course)... You asked a polite question, gave solid reasoning, provided evidence, and were upfront about using both kinds of links. They were polite in their responses, encouraged and appreciated the input and thanked you. I think it's pretty clear
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    But then, I don't know exactly how you worded *your* emails, maybe you didn't get right to it either.
    Ok. That's fair. I was too lazy to dig out my original email. It was this:

I see you folks are now on [Network name]. By and large, I have been quite happy working with your in-house program and have been about a [N] sales a month your way. That said, I can't help but notice that you're going to pay [1.4X dollars] per sale on [the network], but only [X dollars] in-house. Any chance my commission on the in-house program could be raised or should I just use the [network] program? Thanks!
    A bit casual, but I hope reasonably polite.

-John (perhaps being too sensitive or sleep deprived or something).
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Looks fine/professional to me... I'd say neither of you were being jerks, then.

As for their claims about the network performance--they may have had a bit of fertilizer going when they said they weren't satisfied with the network, since it's only been a few days...but on the other hand, maybe they've experienced bad customer service or something else unrelated to how their network affiliates are doing.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Doesn't sound like to me anyone was being a jerk. Just maybe you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Doesn't sound like to me anyone was being a jerk. Just maybe you didn't get the answer you wanted.
    Ok. Thanks for the help, folks.

It seemed like I had irritated them by the end, which was not my intention. And, no, it wasn't the answer I wanted, but I'll live.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being a bad guy.

-John.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread