Should I use the "Encrypt link?" feature?
    Hi All,

Just wondering if I should use the "Encrypt link?" feature when making up my links or not?... I was just looking at a encrypted link and there is no way to tell if they got the numbers right; and if they are off just a little Your out of the ball game... So what do You think?

Thanks and Love You,
    HumbleFish

Good question, I would like to know the answer too. I am also confused to or not to.
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

Hi ahmar,

Looks like Your running the forum today.

I guess nobody knows; I quit encrypting for the time being until I hear the Pros and Cons... Anybody know?

yes
    Yes, encrypt your links. This is to stop others from hijacking your sales and stealing your commissions. Since CJ made this option available, my commissions have gone up a LOT. Do it.

Thanks Fairla, sounds like a plan.

Anyone esle have any input?

i use the encrypt feature because i dont want people doing a mouse roll-over and then typing the link into their browser, thereby bypassing my pocketbook ..

-qwik

Hi qwik, I guess that would be a good reason... Anyone else?

qwick -- aren't you talking about hiding the tracking number in your link option? Because when I use the "hide" option, the destination appears on rollover, rather than the CJ server. You mention the downside of this, but the upside of this is that the customer knows where he's going...I might be a little concerned if I thought I was going to qzlkjer.com or whatever.

I am currently un encripting my links as I get a lot of page cant be displayed emails from customers. I will still hide the link though
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Encryping links has an overhead. Everytime someone clicks a CJ link, CJ's server will have to un-encrypt the link to find out the PID. Personally I am not using it. Reason is as Humblefish said if you miss a character in that string, link will not work. It is hard to figure out whether you missed anything.

Internet Cowboy
    It seems to me that encypting links just means that you are making yourself that much more vulnerable to something on CJ's end going wrong and costing you the sale. Somewhere on one of their servers, those links must be unencypted. It makes it that much more risky to me.
    Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Here's my opinion:

If you have links stored in a database and are using redirect logic, stick with the standard unencrypted links.

If you're using direct links on your site, the encrypted ones could provide some advantages, especially in making your site harder to copy.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Scohaz, I suggest running a test on encrypted links and see if your sales improve. You would not believe the huge improvement in my sales since I implemented this. I would never put another qksrv link on my site.

The added benefit is that Norton software blocks qksrv links but may not block the encrypted links.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    My experience is different from Fairla's: I tried a test with it both ways (2 months encrypted, then changed back) and didn't notice a difference one way or the other.

All I can say is test it for yourself, it didn't hurt anything, and you may score like Fairla did!

As for "qksrv" links, none of the CJ-generated ones say that anymore anyway, although I've seen it still coming up in some outside feeds.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleFish
    Hi qwik, I guess that would be a good reason... Anyone else?
    iF you use product catalogs, better use to redirect url or you can mode_rewrite to protect your link

Thanks Everyone,

I think I'm leaning in the way of "scohaz" and "Kcedit"... Seems like it just makes that much more that can go wrong.

Leader,

So all the links that are made now don't have "qksrv" in them; that's good to hear... You think Norton and those guys will get wise to the new prefixes and wack us again?

clutax,

Are You talking about running a redirect from my site to discourage hi jackers?... I thought Google was coming down on that?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread