Low conversion ratios
    Got an email from a merchant today, basically saying we're using some sort of clickbot on their links (we're not) and we have a low conversion ratio... (o.k. so maybe we do on that particular link).

The really odd part of the email was a statement to the effect that it was 'unprofitable' for them to have affiliates with these low conversion ratios.

Haven't figured out the reasoning behind that yet, but has anyone run into this kind of logic before, and what did you do? (My feeling is to replace the link.)

CodeJockey.

Internet Cowboy
    I would replace the merchant.

Some idiotic merchants figure that their AM costs them $X per year and they have Y number of affiliates, so therefore easch affiliate costs them $X/Y per year.
    I think that is about the stupidest way of thinking possible.

Is it a merchant who partners with parasites? If it is, strongly consider giving them the boot and moving on.

Quote Originally Posted by scohaz
    Is it a merchant who partners with parasites? If it is, strongly consider giving them the boot and moving on.
    If your answer to this question is yes then dont just give them a boot but also tell them why you are dropping them. This thread will give you an idea http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=53957 .
    <DT>[size=1][color=navy]"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return.[/color][/size]<DT>[size=1][color=navy]It's the zero adjust on his bathroom scale." Arthur C. Clark[/color][/size]</DT>

If they're a CJ merchant, the low conversion could affect their network-wide EPC numbers, which could make it harder for them to attract other affiliates in the future. If they're on another network, I can't imagine why they would have a problem with it.

If your conversion ratio is that much lower than their other affiliates, you might want to look around to see how other affiliates promote them and what kinds of changes you could make to your site to improve conversions.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This is why network wide EPC numbers need to be gotten rid of or changed somehow. A high epc means they convert well for everyone or that they kick affiliates that don't produce. I have done well with merchants that had a very low epc, they carried the kind of products I promote. The number seems pretty meaningless.

When you're brining someone business and they have an issue with you not bringing enough, well, I'd side with scohaz.

Dropping them is my first instinct, but maybe we're not promoting properly, so I'm willing to shop them around first and see what we can do to improve the situation..

As for the parasite question, not that I can find.

I was also thinking that perhaps another way of responding would be to ask the question: We've sent you (insert a number here) clicks/visitors from our sites, and you converted those clicks/visitors to (insert small number here) leads for your program. Why can't you convert at a higher rate? The downside to that is that I don't want to be that obnoxious to the merchant.

It still strikes me as an odd way of doing business.

edited to add: Yes, the merchant is a CJ merchant.

CodeJockey.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The core element of worth for every merchant is their sites ability to convert general traffic from any source into sales. Imagine there were no affiliate networks and merchant-A has to rely strickly upon the online/offline AdWhores for traffic. They could learn SEO/SEM skills or hire someone and play the SERPs. Buy traffic with PPCSE Ad campaigns and throw money at the traffic sheister pitchmen. Drop money down the drain with banner Ads via CPM, TV, radio, newspaper. They can opt-in to pay the 3rd party pop-up queens like Gator/WhenU/180Solutions etc etc gorilla marketers to manhandle and piss off the consumer base hoping to snag some sales. They can even hire a e-mail spam operation as part of their desperation to get eyeballs.

Problem is in all the above traffic solutions their having to deal with the Adwhore mentality ...YOU PAY ...WE DON"T GUARANTEE RESULTS. If Merchant-A can't convert one sale per 150 visitors, without any value add affiliates, then they need to close down their site or redesign the value proposition to appeal to savvy online shoppers. In Y2005 the only measuring stick validating a merchant's web site is it's ability to convert general traffic. That friggin merchant, or poser, can pay into all the Adwhores above and go bankrupt quick if the "paid for" traffic didn't convert better then general traffic!

Now the merchant/AM discussed here refuses to take responsibility to convert affiliate traffic WITHOUT PAYING a single affiliate up front for Ad exposure. They pay only if the desired action occurs and gets reported. Hell they're even guaranteed a no questions asked reversal process. ANY AM running an affiliate program should be fired if they can't assure the client/boss that they can force affiliate traffic to convert BETTER then general traffic. If they jump right into furnishing the affiliate tricksters and attack dogs all the buzzword spamming fuel they're dead from jumpstreet. They end up with duped unfiltered junk traffic by the other Adwhore group. Affiliates who neither know about,or care about, focusing shoppers to landing pages that contain an obvious value proposition keyed to what prompted the click. Maybe this merchant is tired of seeing his affiliates mass traffic tricks churn out junk traffic actually converting 4 times worse then un-targeted SERP traffic. It also holds true that due to faulty reporting, diversion tactics, leakage and dime a dozen over priced -under serviced merchant sites.... they don't deserve a single referral visitor.

What have you done Today to put real value into a click ...from a shoppers viewpoint?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I've had this happen a few times - getting called or dropped for having a low conversion ratio.

Normally, I just drop them. Especially if other merchants are converting.

I had a merchant call somewhat recently to see what "we" can do to increase our conversion...

Let's see... "Well, for starters, how about converting my visitors at the average percentage for my other merchants in your category..."
    [B]A great secret of success is to go through life as a man who never gets used up.[/B]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread