ViewPoint?
    When logging on to ABW a few minutes ago, I got a ViewPoint? Pop-up that wouldn't go away (and already had an icon on the toolbar) - on clicking on "more info" (no way I would click on the "update" button), there was a lot of gobbedly gook about "ViewPoint" coming with your computer if you use AOL or a bunch of other companies like General Motors etc. and if not, how important it was to install it...

I said, "No Thanks" but wonder how deeply it already dug into my system? Haiko?

Not from me / ABW, there is only one pop up on ABW - in the chat on exit which is a 240X240 recruiting banner (nothing else) for the merchants that have a forum here. Possibly it's a delayed pop from a previously viewed site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

sounds like the results of a drive-by. you may wish to check your computer with adaware or the MSN beta (forgot the url to it)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Not from me / ABW, there is only one pop up on ABW - in the chat on exit which is a 240X240 recruiting banner (nothing else) for the merchants that have a forum here. Possibly it's a delayed pop from a previously viewed site.
    I didn't really think it was from you Haiko (not in a drive-by type situation - that would be completely uncharacteristic!), but had never heard of it before, so thought maybe it had something to do with the new forum and was not malicious, hence the closing "Haiko?" You're right, I had just visited a site where a couple of pop-ups had been suppressed by SP2, so it was probably related to those as I navigated away.

Mike: I had been dragging my feet on d/ling MS's spyware beta, but did so after that -- all clean. It seems to work very well, looks like I'll be sending a check to MS when it goes gold.

I got the ViewPoint pop up to sometimes. You can easily shit it off in your task manager.

I supose it's from AOL

One of the hidden bundles of crap when downloading the latest AIM program. Will be interesting when the Supreme Court heres the MGM vs Grockster case in a few months as all the P2P wanks shove crapware & trojan horse viruses up their copywrite stealing clientel's butts.

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I use MS Anti-Spyware, but got the damned Viewpoint pop-up this morning asking me to install (actually, they use the word "enable" to purposely avoid using the word "download" or "install"). It is nearly impossible to close the prompt without installing. NO WAY most users could shut it down. No close button, no exit button, no minimize button, no "no thanks" button on first screen, no window indicated in taskbar, system tray icon that shows up cannot be left or right clicked.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE FTC????

Yes, you can use the task manager to close it. But how many people can do that.

And it says it'll change your default search engine or results or something - damnit - I couldn't even grab a screenshot of the lil blastard.

Donuts, I had the same thing this morning but it was while I was on Hollywood.com. See the thread I posted - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60721 . I would have replied in this thread but didn't realize it existed.

Brought to you by the wanks at Aurora we tarred and feathered here at ABW for lying through their teeth about not being both an Adware/Spyware program and detect/removal tool. They're both. The "viewpoint" scummy Adware is tough to remove. Don't fall for their sister site spin. Mypctuneup.com is the same crappy outfit that created Aurora in the first place!

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Linda - I was at ABestWeb when it popped on me! It doesn't matter where you're at - only if you've previously caught a bug from somewhere. Surprised me cuz it happened on my locked down computer with full protection and running MS Anti-Spyware. Sneaky bastages.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread