Thumbs down 1and1 Domain Registration Problem
    Is there a appropriate spot on ABW to post a problem I am having with a domain registrar (1and1)? I think it's a problem that other affiliates and domain owners should be made aware of.
    Last edited by slumbum; January 28th, 2005 at 04:48 AM. Reason: More Description

I moved this thread to the appropriate forum slumbum, post away.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

I have lot's of domains there so you have me

edited because Haiko took care of it
    ================================================================
    Been away, now I'm back. Not as much, but I'm back & starting from scratch. Where I was, was fantastic. Where I am now, less so. Things have changed, become harder. So have I. Game ON!!!
    ================================================================

What's the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by slumbum
    Is there a appropriate spot on ABW to post a problem I am having with a domain registrar (1and1)? I think it's a problem that other affiliates and domain owners should be made aware of.

I have a bunch of domains with them too!!

Angry I will never use 1 and 1 internet inc. again.
    This is a cautionary tale for other domainers and affiliates, I'm not complaining...I'm pissed, but I'm not whining, so take heed. I was negligent in paying 1 and 1 on time, and this is how 1 & 1 Internet punishes late payers. They don't take the money directly out of your credit card..they bill you...I was out of the country and...long story.

Essentially, my problem with 1 & 1 Internet, inc. is this. I have about 50 domains with 1 & 1. I have been buying domains with this registrar over the past year, off and on. (I own lots of domains through various registrars) Anyways, I was late paying them a balance of $72...for the last batch of domains I bought. As of now they are PAID IN FULL for the domains, yet they continue to mark my "contracts" with a "DELETE" status giving me NO access to ANY my domains. Including those purchased months prior! Customer support, and I use that term loosely, told me that if I want to control my domains I would have to buy another "Contract" and REPURCHASE EACH AND EVERY DOMAIN...to the tune of another circa $300.

They claim I can transfer my domains to a competing registrar, but I don't exactly remember what I purchased or for that matter when they expire. No access my account to find out. They also refuse to set the nameservers...rendering my domains useless.

I have learned my lesson, both about being diligent with my credit card and not dealing with 1 and 1 internet. I will stick with Godaddy, Fabulous, or This site from now on. Proceed with caution!

(An aside: When I first registered my domains with them I was unaware that "contracts" where being created. Most registrars charge you then and there for domains, and there isn't a hidden area called "contracts". These "contracts" are subsets of domains under your user account. This makes managing domains cumbersome and it is easy to inadvertently create "contracts". Months ago I asked them if ther could move my domains to one "contract", they told me if I REPURCHASED EACH DOMAIN I bought, they could do this for me. I told them, no thanks.) Live and learn.

Good Luck!

For me, it simply took days to show that my domains had been registered. I would check the domains on other registrar sites and they were showing up as unregistered. Normally when I bought a domain it would show up as registered pretty much right away. I didn't know if I should try to register the domains again or not - had no idea whether the deal had gone through. For this reason alone I vowed not to use them again. Since then, I've heard worse stories. Yours, of course, is much worse. They seem to be getting a bad name. I will pull the few domains I have with them and transfer to another registrar. One can only hope that the word about 1 and 1 spreads.

really, I have had no problems with them. I have over 56 domains with them and they have not given me any hassle. The domains do register immediatly for me.

I also pay my bills on time every time also so....

This is an example of their lovely customer service. Even though I have 50 domains with them. This was a request for them to change my nameservers for 11 of my domains, and to get them to register 1 of the domains they billed me for and never registered for me. The remaining 40 or so domains I have also paid for are inaccessible, unless I buy ALL the domains again through them!

Dear name omitted (Cust: number changed 352224554)

Thank you for contacting 1&1

Unfortunately, we cannot do that for you. As I have checked on your accounts, everything has been deleted now and your domains are already waiting for closure. You have to know that we don't allow domains to be park with us and yet having no 1&1 package anymore. I suggest then that you sign up for a new 1&1 package to continue using our hosting services and be able to point your domains to other nameservers.

If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact us.

--
    Sincerely,
    Aileen Ungos
    Technical Support
    1&1 Internet Inc

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread