I've read and read until virutally blue in the face about data feeds. The most I get it that it is script from a merchant that I must assemble and then upload to my site. I don't know where these assemblers are or how to use them. Are there assemblers for each merchant? If I use excel or something else then what I have code and how do I post it? In other words I need a walk through and with reasonable intelligence will be able to transliterate it to another feed. I really want to use them but at this point I'm at a complete loss.

I use CJ, BeeFree and recently to Linkshare.

Mike

Judging from your post, I'd say you should try Webmerge(Fourth World Forum) or one of the other scripts, they have forums too.

"assemblers" as you call it is more like a program that you would need to write yourself, which I'm thinking is going to be a leap at the moment.

If you choose to not use Webmerge or some other script, what you'll need to accomplish is.

1) Download the datafeed from the Merchant or Network.

2) Put the datafeed into some sort of a database, what one you use is usually personal preference. I use Access or SQL Server. This might also require some "cleaning" of the data.

3) Pull the information out of your database and display it on the web in some sort of organized fashion.

Good Luck

Mike,
    This is how I do it.
    I have only 1 merchant who gives me a datafeed.
    What you actually get is a text file with all their products/links/image urls/descriptions in it.

I took the text file and imported it into Access (MS Database program). Then I uploaded my access db to my site.

Then I use ASP (coding) to link to the database and pull out the info that I want using queries.
    It can be tough if you have never done it before. You don't have to use Access or ASP, you can use MySQL and PHP.

I know this is vague but it can be really detailed if your not familiar with it. If/when you get more info and decide you need some one on one, give me a shout! I will be glad to help all I can!

marty

http and a telephoto
    You may have read until you are blue in the face, but it seems you need to read some more... Everything I know about datafeeds and using them I learned from reading at ABW. I know the search function isn't working, but you need to just start browsing the forums and read, read, read. There isn't an easy answer for you. There are tools available by merchant, check their forums, and there are programs and programmers that have ready made scripts and tools also.

Think of it as a great adventure in learning... It will not be an easy adventure, but it should be exciting if you get the hang of it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

This page kind-of explains what a data feed is (relating to affiliates), the next page also describes preparing your feed too.

http://www.web-procreate.com/wm-what.htm

Hope this helps.

Fred

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. Couple of points though. In one case I was told to take the data feed and insert it in Excel and then use it in my page. In another I was told to use Access, but even though I know Access I really don't know how this kind of data will go into this application for use. It would seem, correct me if I'm wrong, that data feeds once inserted in Excel are to be culled through for items that you may or may not want on your site. The whole feed is not inserted onto a page - correct?
    In the end I want to have 'pretty pages' and am working damned hard at trying to get them.
    Fred your 'procreate' link does not seem to work.
    I would be willing, if another would be as well to take a data feed - a popularly quoted one is IRV's and use it as a test. Once I get the hang of it then I theoretically should be off to the races. If there is a convenient method of doing this I would be willing to try. In the end it appears that there are applications which exist outside of the MS Suite that do what MS can do for you. If I'm able to accomplish something with data feed I'm sure that I can master the calculus of 2+2.

Oh and Happy Easter

Mike

I would agree that it sounds like WebMerge or a similar program is what you need if you don't do database driven sites. Have you done ANY sites that are database driven? If so, the datafeed is simply the data to populate your database.
    Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

-- Lewis Grizzard

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> In the end I want to have 'pretty pages' and am working damned hard at trying to get them. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you use a pretty template, you get pretty pages. Using a feed neither contributes to, nor detracts from, the site design. It's just a way to get the info on the page without a bunch of w*rk.

The main thing to remember is to lay out the template as if the finished amount of text is there, even though you won't see that text at the template stage. That way everything will be in balance once the data has been filled in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The whole feed is not inserted onto a page - correct? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not unless you want to wait an hour for it to load even over broadband, LOL!

You can have as few or as many records on a page as you want. Personally I put one product on a detail page, and then have one or more indices leading to those pages. Whether it's one, or more, indices depends on how many products are in the particular merchant's feed.

But there are a lot of sites that have multiple products on a page, so you're definitely not limited to only having one product on a page if you want more. Although I wouldn't recommend cramming them ALL on one page!

As for how to make the pages, I'd say WebMerge based on your questions. They don't sound like "scripter-type" questions...

When it comes to Excel, that's got its uses, although getting the data onto the page isn't one of them. Spreadsheets are good for things like sorting products, changing or putting in your PID (Aff. ID), formatting prices, removing oddball characters, and other things like that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Thanks for all the information thus far. Where I'm at now is dealing with mysql and php but I have no idea on how to use them and where to go and get information on their use. I'm still reading until I'm blue in the face and consequently am spinning my wheels. The websites that I'm have encountered lead me to links that do not work and processes that were written for people not interested in being user friendly. In the meantime links that should be posted to my site are just sitting there as I work through this conundrum

Mike

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread