Smile Email this Page to a Friend
    I know it's very common and it's one of the smaller things on my todo list, but what sort of experience have you had with this feature? I'm talking about a simple link on any product or deal page that lets your visitor email the information to a friend. I never use it myself, but I'm sure some people must use it. Is there a right way to do it or a wrong way to do it? Let's hear your experiences with this.

Thank you!
    - Scott

It is a great feature to have, but don't count on it getting used. It only takes maybe 10 minutes to develop, so it is one of those things that if it generates one sale a year, it was worth it. Plus it makes you look a bit more advanced.

But the sad fact is that people just don't use the feature too often. In fact, most use it to email to themselves as a reminder.

I have a friend that runs an auction software company and has had that feature for almost 7 years. In that time, the email a friend link has been used maybe 500 times over the 7 years with several hundred sites.
    Chris Mayr
    When amassed, even dust can become a mountain.

There is a finite amount of intelligence but an infinite amount of stupidity in the universe

That's sort of what I thought. It doesn't seem like the most valuable feature to add, so that's why I've been putting it off for so long. Guess it couldn't hurt to put it off a little longer. I've got some bigger things to do in the mean time.

Thanks!
    - Scott

I know a lot of hard core geeks that actually use the feature.

ABW Ambassador
    It really depends, on some of my sites people really use it with many articles getting mailed 30+ times, and one over 350+ times. On other sites, i am lucky to get one or two a month. But as others said, it is so easy to do, why not?

ABW Ambassador
    I hadn't really considered adding this feature, but it sounds like it might be a good idea.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I look at it as FREE publicity - and GOOD publicity as it is a referral from a friend!

On the downside, I sometimes see emails that say "Hey Joe, this is the site I was telling you about that we can lift their ad copy from... yada yada yada"

PM if you need an easy javascript code

I for one am totally for TAF. It takes little time to implement and with some tweaking, you can point users directly to a specific page and not just your home page.

Some users report that this feature is not readily used. This can be true but once it's setup, it is a FREE viral method to brings new and olf users back. And by users, I mean the sender and their friend! That is powerful viral marketing and something that can only benefit a website. I don't really see a downside to TAF.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    I look at it as FREE publicity - and GOOD publicity as it is a referral from a friend!

On the downside, I sometimes see emails that say "Hey Joe, this is the site I was telling you about that we can lift their ad copy from... yada yada yada"

PM if you need an easy javascript code
    You read the emails people send???!!!?! Is that clear in your privacy statement?

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread