I tried this with a Pipe Delimited feed I just got and Exel doesn't do this:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The next step is to open the file in a program like MS Excel. There are others, but we’ll use Excel in our example here. When opening any text file (or any file that isn’t a bona fide Excel file with a “XLS” extension), you will have to tell Excel that you want to look at “All Files (*.*)” Once you have selected the data feed file, you’ll get the “Text Import Wizard” that pops-up asking how Excel wants to handle the file. Select the radio button marked “Delimited,” (there’s that word we learned about earlier). Click “Next.”

Now we have some choices. How is your file delimited? You might know, and can simply check the appropriate box (for example “Tab” – the default). If it is Pipe delimited, all you have to do is type in the Pipe character in the “Other” box. When you have made the correct choice, you’ll notice an immediate change in the way the data looks in the Data Preview window. If you have selected the correct delimiter, you’ll see your data organized, with neat vertical lines outlining the columns.

I don't receive any wizard or anything - the feed just loads right into Excel as is. Each record in one cell and not one field per cell.
    I've used comma delimited and they loaded just fine without any prompting on my end.

How do I get Excel to break the feed into fields with each field in it's own cell - like it should be?

Help is very much appreciated.

Figured it out! First - Save the file as a txt file - then import the txt file into Excel. This will prompt the wizard you need to complete the task.

Gosh... my brain is going to bleed!

There is also on excel a text to column choice under data, then choose delimited and enter in the pipe.

Richmond, VA
    Glad it worked, please let me know if you have any other questions. Sometimes working with Excel is like putting a square peg in a round hole.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread